[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1565

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 10 12:40:23 UTC 2016

August 10, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              For as many years as I can remember, the Board of Directors of
RBRCCB and the NFB of SC have always held their third quarter meetings
during the weekend of our State Convention.  With this year's convention
moving to the last weekend in October; these two boards will hold their
third quarter meeting on Saturday, August 20, at the Federation Center of
the Blind in Columbia.  The RBRCCB Board of Directors will begin its meeting
10:00 a.m. and adjourn at 12:00 p.m. and the NFB of SC will begin its
meeting at 1:00 p.m. and adjourn at approximately 4:00 p.m.  I look forward
to having all board members present and I strongly encourage Federation
members to come to the meetings and to actively participate in the
discussions.

              Excitement is beginning to build for the upcoming 2016 NFB of
SC state convention which will be held October 28-30 at the Ocean Dunes/Sans
Resort Hotel in Myrtle Beach.  I spoke with Lajetta Jones, our events
coordinator at the Ocean Dunes/Sands Resort Hotel and she informed me room
reservations are increasing significantly.  I would suggest if you have not
made your room reservation as yet you may want to do so by calling the Sands
Resort Central Reservations at 1-800-599-9872 and inform the reservationist
you are reserving a room for the National Federation of the Blind of South
Carolina state convention.  I would also encourage you to go ahead and pay
your $70 preregistration for the convention which will cover the Friday
evening reception, the Saturday luncheon and the Saturday evening banquet as
well as a continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning.  After
September 23, the registration will increase to $85.  The program for the
convention is shaping up nicely.  We are working very hard to have a
surprise or two for Saturday morning which hopefully will create excitement
and set the tone for the convention.

              We have an announcement from Shannon Cook.  "Seminars Hadley
Presents:  Virtual Support Groups: An Accessible Community for Older Adults.
Date: Thursday, August 18, 2016.  Time: 1:00 PM CDT; 18:00 GMT

             Senior centers offer a range of wonderful opportunities for
older adults.  For seniors with low vision or other impairments, these
valuable resources may be difficult to access. Lack of transportation or
health concerns can make travel to a senior center challenging. Now, new
programs around the country are making senior centers available to all older
adults by establishing virtual communities where members can participate in
their own homes using a telephone or other simple technology.

             Please join Low Vision Focus @ Hadley as Amber Carroll,
Director of Senior Center Without Walls, discusses the diverse and exciting
programming available from virtual senior centers.  Ed Haines, Hadley
Instructor and member of the Seminars at Hadley team, will moderate this
60-minute presentation. A question and answer session will be included as
part of the seminar. This seminar is an audio-only seminar, and space is
limited. Please register only if you know you are available to attend so
that others are not closed out. Register now for Virtual Support Groups.
Also, if you miss it, it will be archived and you can listen at a later
time."

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              There has been a change in the performer who will come instead
of Rickey Godfrey on Saturday afternoon September 3 at 3:00 p.m.  Rickey
recently consulted his physician who required him to have surgery done
without delay on August 31, or about the time he would have come to Rocky
Bottom.  Rickey also had to cancel a concert in Greenville scheduled for
September 2.  While we will miss Rickey, he was good enough to get us a
professional musician for September 3.  He is Neal McJunkin of Liberty, SC.
Mr. McJunkin has performed with Rickey and is an outstanding musician.
Incidentally, our own Darlene Houck was in high school with Mr. McJunkin and
remembers him well.  Neal McJunkin is a local Singer-Songwriter who later
studied at Clemson University. Neal plays blues, R&B, gospel and other
Americana.  He is well known in the Upstate.  While we regret Rickey's
inability to be with us on September 3, I'm confident Mr. McJunkin will be
very entertaining and a good stand in.  We have reprinted the tickets to
reflect the change in performers and the charge of $10 is the same amount
which was scheduled for Rickey Godfrey.  The changed tickets are available
from the state office at 803-254-3777and can also be purchased from RBRCCB
at 864-878-9090.

              Concerning the new washers/dryers given by the Salem Lions
Club, Brooke reports, "The washing machines and dryers are the newest and
most functional units money could buy and they are also the nicest I have
ever seen."

              It's only three weeks away from this Friday to Friday,
September 2 when we will be arriving for the Fun Day Festival weekend.
Things are shaping up nicely and with some help by people committed to
special service including Jeff Bazer who will be our auctioneer, Lenora
Robertson who will head up the kitchen crew and collect $10 per person for
Saturday's barbecue luncheon, Valerie Warrington who will collect $30 per
person for the weekend meals, Frank Coppel who will head up the merchandise
committee, David Houck who will head up Fun Day ticket sales, Alma Lee Doyle
who will head up the Yard Sale, and Brooke Rivers who will head up the Old
Country Store.  Last year Kim Diggs handled the BINGO games and we will need
someone to cover her replacement.  We appreciate our distinguished Advisory
Board member Mr. Billy Singleton who sent in a $100 check covering the
purchase of 20 Fun Day tickets.  We need for you to send in your $5 Fun Day
ticket sales and stubs to the state office.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  17.
1975 - Bill S106 enlarges the Board of Commissioners of the South Carolina
Commission for the Blind from 5 to 7 members.