[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1566

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 17 12:50:59 UTC 2016

August 17, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              This past Thursday morning, August 11, Shelley and I traveled
to Pageland South Carolina where we had the pleasure of attending the
Chesterfield County Chapter of the NFB of SC monthly meeting.  Dorcas
Campbell is the longtime President of the Chesterfield County chapter and it
is evident she is doing an excellent job leading her chapter.  The
Chesterfield County chapter is probably one of the more active chapters in
the state as it consistently contributes financially to the Federation
Center, Rocky Bottom, and the state organization.  The chapter is also very
visible in the community as evidence of their participation in local parades
and their willingness to hand out NFB literature at various county
functions.  I spoke to the chapter on the history of the NFB and the NFB of
SC and also discussed the responsibilities of Associate and Voting members
and the reasons why there are two classifications of members in the NFB of
SC.

              In speaking with members from across the state, excitement
appears to be building for the upcoming 2016 NFB of SC state convention
which will be held October 28-30 at the Ocean Dunes/Sans Resort Hotel in
Myrtle Beach.  I have spoken with Lajetta Jones, our events coordinator at
the Ocean Dunes/SanResort Hotel and she informs me room reservations are
increasing significantly.  I would suggest if you have not made your room
reservation as yet you may want to do so by calling the Sands Resort Central
Reservations at 1-800-599-9872 and inform the reservationist you are
reserving a room for the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
state convention.  All reservations must be guaranteed by check or credit
card and received within 5 days of reservation date. Advance deposits will
be credited to the last night's stay as indicated by individual reservation
request.  Room rates for this year's convention are very affordable.  The
price of rooms including taxes is $87 per night for ocean view and $99 per
night ocean front and can accommodate up to four in a room.  These room
rates will be available three days before or three days after the
convention.  Amenities include in-room safes, refrigerators, microwaves,
coffee pots, irons, ironing boards, hair dryers, electronic door locks,
wireless Internet connections, and telephones with voice mail in all
sleeping rooms.

              I would also encourage you to go ahead and pay your $70
preregistration for the convention which will cover the Friday evening
reception, the Saturday luncheon and the Saturday evening banquet as well as
a continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning.  After September 23,
the registration will increase to $85.  The program for the convention is
shaping up nicely.  We are working very hard to have a surprise or two for
Saturday morning which hopefully will create excitement and set the tone for
the convention.

              Congratulations to Sarah Massengale, a member of our Clarendon
Chapter, who will be singing the National Anthem prior to the start of the
Columbia Fire Flies' minor league baseball game Friday evening September
2nd.  Although many of us will be traveling to Rocky Bottom on September 2nd
to participate in the Fun Day festivities, I hope we can have a large
turnout of federationists at the baseball game to support Sarah!

              I look forward to seeing many of you at the Federation Center
of the Blind Saturday morning, August 20, for the RBRCCB and NFB of SC Board
of Directors meetings.  The RBRCCB Board of Directors meeting will begin at
10:00 a.m. and will adjourn at 12:00 p.m.  The NFB of SC Board of Directors
meeting will begin at 1:00 p.m. and will adjourn at approximately 4:00 p.m.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Mr. Neal McJunkin is a distinguished member of the music
community.  Those of us who will be attending Mr. McJunkin's performance on
Saturday afternoon, September 3 at 3:00 p.m. will no doubt find him to be a
very entertaining professional.  The following is some biographical
information on Mr. McJunkin for your review.

              Neal McJunkin was born in Greenwood, SC, and grew up in
Liberty, SC and began playing guitar and vocals in his teens. Neal played
concerts for local venues and with various bands until 1977, when he began
traveling full time with such bands as WOODEN APPLE, a show band from
Spartanburg, SC, THE ROYAL FAMILY, which was Billy Joe Royal's band,  THE
COASTERS and THE DRIFTERS.  In 1978, Neal formed a rock and variety band
called JOSHUA and toured the southeast United States. Neal then went out on
his own, traveling the southeast playing acoustic music.  In 1979, Neal
formed the band DRIVING WHEEL and later joined SLEWFOOT as front man,
replacing the country super group ALABAMA at The Bowery in Myrtle Beach.  In
1987, Neal returned to The Bowery with the group, SHOWDOWN.  Neal joined THE
BEACHCOMBERS in 1990, playing at Ocean Annie's in Myrtle Beach.  In 1993,
Neal joined KID COLT and toured nationally and internationally.  KID COLT
had 2 tours in Japan and released the album "LIVE IN JAPAN".  In 2010, Neal
began playing for Princess Cruise Line with Australian singer, Danielle
Taylor.  In 2011, Neal returned to PALE HORSE, and played with THE HOT NOTES
and THE SOUND FACTORY bands in Greenville, SC.  Neal is still a member of
both bands and also plays as a guest guitarist for many upstate SC bands.
In 2015, Neal released his solo album "DIAMOND DUST".  His song, "Tell Me
Why" rose to number 1 on the chart and his album received international air
play.

              The Fun Day Festival is just two weeks away as most of us are
arriving on Friday evening, September 2.  Please be sure to bring your money
and filled out stubs for the $5 Fun Day tickets.  Also don't forget to
purchase your tickets for the McJunkin performance.  Our thanks to the
Sumter, Lee and Grand Strand Chapters for their $100 contributions each to
the Federation Center.  I hope that other chapters will also respond.  We
appreciate the Anderson Chapter's contribution of $95 to cover the food
expense at the Fun Day Festival.  Also, our thanks to the Columbia Chapter
for donating $200 to the Fun Day foods expense.  We also appreciated the
$300 gift from the Columbia Chapter to cover utilities at RBRCCB.
Additionally, we thank the Columbia Chapter for the $1,550 given in May out
of barbecue proceeds to the Federation Center.  Our friend Jack Todd, Coach
of the Spartanburg High School Track Team gave Osterneck Cottage a microwave
oven and a toaster oven.  This has been the greatest power expense we have
had since the inception of this program as the current bill from Blue Ridge
Electric is $3,945.27.  Let's do what we can to conserve at RBRCCB.  While
RBRCCB is a much appreciated program, we note that it is expensive to fund
this program as RBRCCB belongs to all of us across the state.  Our
appreciation to our very good friends the Salem Lions Club which will be
having a workday on August 24 with the upstairs area and the bedrooms being
painted in the Ellenburg Lodge.  I look forward to seeing many of you at the
board meetings which get underway this Saturday at 10:00 a.m.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #18:  1978 -
Bill S59 an act providing for the operation of vending facilities in public
buildings and other property, known as "The Right To Work" bill.