[Nfbofsc] Poitive Note 1567

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 24 12:41:12 UTC 2016

August 24, 2016

Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter &Division Presidents &
Others

From:  Frank Coppel, President

30th Anniversary Positive Note!

Fun Day Auction:   Carolina Panthers Signed football!

              On Saturday, August 20, the NFB of SC Board of Directors
summer meeting was held and a variety of topics were discussed.  The board
heard reports from two committees which have been established this year.
Debra Canty, Chairperson of the fund raising committee, reported the NFB of
SC has raised approximately $2200 thus far this year and she and her
committee would like to plan another fundraiser in the fall.  Jamie Allison,
Chairperson of the Youth Recruitment committee, reported to the board the
NFB of SC will again have a student chapter at the SC School for the Deaf
and Blind beginning this fall.  Both of these individuals are doing an
outstanding job chairing their respective committees and I look forward to
continue hearing positive reports from them during the months to come.  In
an effort to generate more funds for the National Convention charter bus
fundraiser, the board voted to increase the cost of the ticket to $2 each or
three tickets for $5.  The board also voted to award an individual $300 for
the winning ticket, $100 to the seller of the ticket, and $300 to the
chapter selling the most tickets.

              We are very excited to have Jeannie Massay as the national
representative to our state convention this year.  Ms. Massay is the
treasurer of the National Federation of the Blind and she are also is the
state president of the Oklahoma affiliate.  Plans are under way to have two
important activities taking place Friday afternoon, October 28, at our
convention.  Tiffany Mitchell, Columbia chapter president, will be heading
up a "meet and greet" for chapter presidents.  The "Meet and Greet" will
provide chapter presidents the opportunity to become more acquainted with
each other and the opportunity to discuss a variety of topics in an informal
setting.  The other activity which will be held Friday afternoon at the
convention is a BELL x workshop under the direction of Jennifer Duffell
Hoffman and Jamie Allison.  The workshop will work specifically on slate and
stylus and white cane skills. This will be a good time for children and
parents to meet with each other and to meet with blind South Carolinian
adults.

              As you can see, the 2016 NFB of SC state convention which will
be held October 28-30 in Myrtle Beach at the Sands Resort/Ocean Dunes Hotel
is an event you do not want to miss!  I would suggest if you have not made
your room reservation as yet you may want to do so by calling the Sands
resort Central Reservations at 1-800-599-9872 and inform the reservationist
you are reserving a room for the National Federation of the Blind of South
Carolina state convention.  All reservations must be guaranteed by check or
credit card and received within 5 days of reservation date. Advance deposits
will be credited to the last night's stay as indicated by individual
reservation request.  Room rates for this year's convention are very
affordable.  The price of rooms including taxes is $87 per night for ocean
view and $99 per night ocean front and can accommodate up to four in a room.
These room rates will be available three days before or three days after the
convention.  Amenities include in-room safes, refrigerators, microwaves,
coffee pots, irons, ironing boards, hair dryers, electronic door locks,
wireless Internet connections, and telephones with voice mail in all
sleeping rooms.

              I would also encourage you to pay your $70 preregistration for
the convention which will cover the Friday evening reception, the Saturday
luncheon and the Saturday evening banquet as well as a continental breakfast
Saturday and Sunday morning.  After September 23, the registration will
increase to $85.  The program for the convention is shaping up nicely.  We
are working very hard to have a surprise or two for Saturday morning which
hopefully will create excitement and set the tone for the convention.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This is a very historic week and a special program which had
its beginning 30 years ago this week.  I'm referring to the Positive Note,
the first commencing on August 22, 1986.  The primary purpose of the
Positive Note is to have communication each week across the state consisting
of positive occurrences from that particular week.  To the best of my
knowledge we have not missed a Positive Note at any time during the past 30
years.  Here are some statistics:  The 1,567 Positive Notes have generated
much information on both the local and statewide federation.  Many important
issues affecting the blind of the state over 30 years have been covered by
the Positive Note.

              There has been an important scheduling change with the auction
during the Fun Day which has been switched from Sunday to Saturday at 1:00
p.m.  Jeff Bazer is in charge of the auction. This auction was discussed
during last Saturday's board meeting as we want to accommodate as many
chapters as possible and felt that there would be greater participation on
Saturday for all concerned.  We will adjourn the auction just before 3:00
p.m. just prior to the performing of Neal McJunkin's benefit concert in
Lawton Hall.  If we do not complete the auction by 3:00 p.m., we will
reconvene the auction immediately after 4:30 p.m. which is after the concert
would be completed.  There will be BINGO after lunch on Sunday which will be
handled by Elizabeth Farr, the mother of our own Valerie Farr.  Other
activities to be emphasized Sunday afternoon include the Old Country Store,
the Yard Sale, RBRCCB hats, T-shirts, etc. for sale, and the sale of Fun Day
tickets with the drawing that afternoon.  I am grateful to many of our
people who have agreed to manage important areas of responsibility.  Again,
speaking of the auction, it appears some very nice things have been gathered
and we want everyone to pitch in and secure some items as this will help to
generate some profits.  You need to get your Neal McJunkin concert tickets
which are only $10 each.  Both David Houck and Brooke Rivers have tickets to
the concert.  You may also secure concert tickets at the main door of Lawton
Hall and for those needing accessibility, someone will also be at the rear
of Lawton Hall who can handle your ticket needs.  We have experienced a good
turnout for this year's Fun Day Festival as it is apparent the facilities
will be filled to capacity.  We will need to have some sharing of the
facilities.

              We have reached the $1,000 needed to cover the Center's power
bill thanks to federationists who contributed including the Sumter, Grand
Strand, Lee, Georgetown, Anderson, Belvedere, Charleston, Cherokee, Upper
Dorchester, and Clarendon Chapters as well as Jamie Allison and Isaiah
Nelson.

              These are exciting times as we have been celebrating Fun Day
for some 35 years which is the only annual funding campaign to assist in the
funding of the RBRCCB program.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #19:  1981 - A
bill mandating the service of a blind person on the Board of Commissioners
of the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind.