[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1568

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Aug 30 17:00:57 UTC 2016

August 30, 2016

Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter &Division Presidents &
Others

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              This upcoming Labor Day weekend many of us will be traveling
to Rocky Bottom to attend the 35th annual Fun Day Festival.  Over 50
Federationists are planning to be at Rocky Bottom for the entire weekend
with other chapters planning to come Saturday, September 3, to participate
in the festivities.  One of my favorite activities during Fun Day is the
auction which will be held Saturday afternoon from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.  Many
thanks go to those individuals who helped to secure items for the auction.
Items for the auction include a black and silver football autographed by the
Carolina Panthers, one day passes to Disney World which can be used next
year during the 2017 National NFB Convention, a day pass to Dollywood in
Pidgeon Forge, Tennessee and to the River Bank Zoo in Columbia, gift
baskets, and bakery items just to name a few.  Shelley and I will be selling
RBRCCB merchandise and we hope you will visit us at our table and purchase a
t-shirt or cap.  We need to do all we can to support Rocky Bottom and there
needs to be a large Federation turnout for this very important fundraising
event.

              We have an important announcement from Isaiah Nelson.  "The
alumni meeting of the SC School for the Blind will be held in Spartanburg,
SC on Saturday, October 16, 2016.  The meeting will be held in the cafeteria
at Robertson Hall.  The business meeting will start promptly at 8:30 a.m.
Following the morning meeting the canteen will be opening at approximately
10:00 a.m. which will be operated by the blind department this year.  I am
asking all of you to please come and patronize us.

              Also, please make your reservations for one night at the
Quality Inn Suites; telephone number 864-542-0333.  It will only be for one
(1) night as the van will be returning to Columbia on Saturday afternoon
after the football game.  The van will be departing from the SC Commission
for the Blind on Friday, October 15, 2016 at 3:00 p.m.  I am asking those of
you who are riding the van to please be on time.  If you have any questions
feel free to contact me at 803-413-2434, Dorothy Barksdale, 803-765-1622 or
Mary Peters, 803-673-4016.  Ike Nelson, President"

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Activities concerning the 35th annual Fun Day Festival have
reached a high pitch.  I'm grateful to all of you across the state for your
participation in a variety of ways.  We have to continue to sell our $5 Fun
Day tickets. And you may be lucky to have your ticket drawn for $500 to the
buyer and $50 to the seller.  The chapter selling the most tickets will
receive $300.  This will be the first time to my knowledge we will have had
a professional to perform a benefit concert for Fun Day.  Neal McJunkin of
Liberty will be performing this Saturday, September 3 at 3:00 p.m.  The
performance will last one and one-half hours until 4:30 p.m.  The newly
renovated Lawton Hall will host the concert.  We have done considerable
publicity and hopefully our people along with the public will fill Lawton
Hall to capacity which is some 125.   The cost of the concert is only $10
and this is a good way to enjoy an hour and a half of live music.  David
Houck and Brooke Rivers will be selling $10 concert tickets prior to the
concert and Larry Warrington and Jamie Rivers will be selling concert
tickets at the door.  Jamie Rivers will be at the rear door of Lawton Hall
for those requiring special access and Larry Warrington will be handling
tickets at the main door of Lawton Hall.  Both of these will have tickets
and if you have not purchased tickets earlier, they will be able to assist
you.  I appreciate the assistance of both Larry and Jami.

              Most of us will arrive Friday evening, September 2 and you
will need to check in with Brooke Rivers for your room assignment.  Some
sharing will be necessary but everyone should be reasonably comfortable.
You will also need to give Valerie Warrington $30 for all the meals with the
exception of the Saturday lunch which will feature barbecue and all the
trimmings for a charge of $10.  Lenora Robertson will be in charge of
receiving $10 from each of us for Saturday's luncheon.  We hope that there
will be some public participation in the Saturday lunch.  As always we have
been able to rely upon federationists who perform a variety of
responsibilities during the annual Fun Day Festival.  The Old Country Store
will be handled by Brooke Rivers with Alma Lee Doyle being in charge of the
Yard Sale.  As always Frank Coppel will be in charge of the Rocky Bottom
merchandise table.  We have a good variety of different shirts and you will
want to wear your Rocky Bottom T-shirt.  Elizabeth Farr will be having BINGO
on Sunday afternoon.  Chapters which will be coming up for the day Saturday
have our appreciation.  Be sure to bring your own linen, towels, etc.
Breakfast will be served at about 8:00 a.m., lunch at 12:00 noon and dinner
at about 6:00 p.m.  I want to thank those of you who sent birthday cards and
made telephone calls in celebration of my 88th birthday today - Tuesday.  I
feel blessed having experienced a long and productive life.  It was my
pleasure to join Dr. Fred Crawford for dinner to celebrate our birthdays as
both of us were born on August 30 but Dr. Crawford arrived two years earlier
as he is 90.  We were glad that Lois and Marshall Tucker attended the
Tuesday evening dinner.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #20:  1983 -  A
bill providing for four year-old blind children to attend public school
kindergarten.  #24:  1989 - A bill to provide that successful completion of
a course in Braille of at least three credit hours is a prerequisite for
graduation for students majoring in Special Education in the area of Vision.
#25:  1992 - A bill providing for assessment of blind students to see if
Braille is the best media for that student's education.