[Nfbofsc] {Spam?} Positive Note 1583

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Dec 14 13:34:07 UTC 2016

December 14, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              In a couple of days all of you should be receiving your
Statewide Seminar Letter and your Charter Bus letter.  Please fill out the
form at the end of the Statewide Seminar letter and return it to the State
Office as soon as possible.  You can also call the State Office at (803)
254-3777 and let us know if you are planning to attend the Statewide Seminar
on February 4, 2017.  Please notify the State Office of your intentions in
order that we may have an accurate count for the luncheon which will be free
of charge.

              It is not too early to begin turning in your state dues of $10
for 2016 to the state office.  Remember that we need to have your name,
address, phone number and email address if you have one.  These things do
change and if we do not have updated information, we cannot keep you up to
date on what's going on.  The deadline for dues is January 31, 2017, so why
wait!

          During this past week, Shelley and I have been extremely busy
attending Chapter Christmas parties throughout the state.  On Thursday
morning, December 8, Shelley and I along with former State President,
Parnell Diggs who was staying with us for a few days to conduct federation
business, traveled to Jefferson, South Carolina to attend the Chesterfield
County chapter Christmas luncheon.  Approximately 25 people were in
attendance for the luncheon and it was very evident Dorcas Campbell, Chapter
President, is doing an outstanding job.  The chapter treated everyone to a
delicious barbecue feast and we were entertained by Parnell who sang
Christmas carols and played his guitar.  It was also great to see the First
vice President of the NFB of SC, Lenora Robertson, her daughter, Ellen
Taylor, and Louise Watson at the meeting as well.  That evening, Shelley and
I enjoyed being with our Columbia Chapter as we celebrated Christmas with
our home Chapter.  There were approximately 100 people in attendance and we
were treated to a wonderful covered dish feast prepared by chapter members.
Many members enjoyed participating in a Christmas gift exchange and we all
enjoyed listening to Parnell Diggs playing his guitar and singing Christmas
carols.  Second Vice President of the NFB of SC, Debra Canty, NFB of SC
State Board member, Linda Dizzley, and Student Division President, Alexus
Blanding also attended the Christmas party and it was good to visit with all
of these individuals as well.  Tiffany Mitchell continues to do an excellent
job leading the Columbia Chapter and she did an outstanding job planning and
presiding over the meeting.  Last evening, December 13, Shelley and I had
the pleasure of attending the 43rd Annual Christmas Banquet Gala hosted by
the Sumter Chapter.  Approximately 400 people attended this year's banquet
and Debra Canty, President of the Sumter chapter again did an excellent job
presiding over the festivities.  The program for the evening was extremely
impressive as Ms. Canty called on various individuals to discuss their onset
of blindness and how the NFB has had a positive impact on their lives.  I
was the keynote speaker for the evening and I was much honored to have
Shelley introduce me to the audience.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas."  Last Thursday
evening December 8 the Columbia Chapter had a wonderful Christmas program
with chapter President Tiffiny Mitchell providing the leadership.  Members
brought covered dishes and everyone enjoyed a feast.  About 100 were in
attendance.  Former state President Parnell Diggs was in town and joined us
for the chapter's Christmas party.  He brought along his guitar and sung
Christmas carols for us.  Asked about his work as Director of Governmental
Affairs for the NFB, he explained that the national President Mark Riccobono
also utilizes his talents and he frequently represents the NFB at special
events including those of the Department of Justice and various businesses
and organizations.  By the way, Parnell stated, "his attending the Christmas
party at the Center last Thursday night, December 8, 2016 was his important
28th anniversary as he first visited the Center on Thursday, December 8,
1988."

              On Saturday, December 10 we attended the Singing Christmas
Tree production as our live-in assistant Debbie Manning secured tickets for
this wonderful program.  The Singing Christmas Tree was first performed in
the Township Auditorium in the 1980's but has been hosted by Shandon Baptist
Church in recent years.  The Christmas tree is 30 feet tall including the
star.  The tree featured 50,000 lights and there 300 performers including
200 choir members and 30 orchestra members.  It was a magnificent
performance.  The church's new sanctuary was packed to capacity and many
were turned away.  I was impressed with the large number of volunteers who
provided needed assistance.  It was a considerable distance to walk from the
inside of the church to where the car was parked as several volunteers
assisted Betty and me.  A couple of young men gave special service to Betty
and while I advised them to be sure and give "good care," they stated they
were and inquired as to how long I had been giving good care to Betty and I
replied, "for 67 years."  They replied that was wonderful.  The Singing
Christmas Tree program lasts about one hour.  With several hundred singers
and orchestra members, it was the largest musical production I've ever heard
and it will be unforgettable.  The tree had ten rows and each row featured a
number of singers and orchestra performers.

              With Christmas featuring a giving spirit as we celebrate the
birth of Jesus Christ, I trust you would consider an end-of-year tax
deductible gift to the Mattress Fund for RBRCCB.  You have given slightly
one-half of the cost and there remains some $3,000 to cover the remainder
needed to purchase these mattresses.  If 30 NFB of SC chapters gave $100
each, this would cover the amount needed.  If 15 chapters gave $200 each,
this would cover the remaining cost.  Ellenburg Lodge is the most popular
facility at RBRCCB and the many people who utilize this facility would
improve their comfort by our replacing the 17 year old current mattresses.
The Belvedere Chapter has given liberally making a contribution of more than
$400.  I hope all of you have an enjoyable Christmas holiday season.

Final Thought:  Last week John Glenn passed away at the age of 95.  He was
the first astronaut to circle the Earth in outer space and the oldest to fly
in the Space Shuttle.  He also served in the US Senate for 24 years from the
state of Ohio. - Raising Expectations