[Nfbofsc] {Spam?} Positive Note 1584

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Dec 21 13:24:50 UTC 2016

December 21, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              This time of year is a very busy time in the NFB of SC.  Not
only are we planning the agenda for the Statewide Seminar, we are getting
ready to begin planning for the second annual Sweetheart Dance which will be
held at the Federation Center on February 18, 2017.  The 2016 Sweetheart
Dance was a huge success and I am certain the 2017 version will be just as
successful.  The evening promises to be a fun and enjoyable experience with
a professionally catered dinner, music and dancing.  Tickets to this event
will be $25 per person and $45 per couple.  Stay tuned for further details
in upcoming Positive Notes regarding the Sweet heart Dance.

              Speaking of the Statewide Seminar which will be held on
Saturday, February 4, 2017, I am very excited about some of the agenda items
on the program.  Please remember to fill out the form at the end of the
Seminar letter and return it to the state office by January 23, in order for
us to purchase the correct amount of food for lunch.  Also, remember we will
be conducting an auction throughout the day to raise money for the
Federation Center.  Be sure to bring items for the auction such as, cakes,
pies, cookies, gift baskets, and electronics.  Let's make this auction a
tremendous success!

              The Holiday Inn Capitol is accepting reservations for the 2017
Washington Seminar, which will occur from January 30 to February 2. Please
call (877) 572-6951 or go to https://nfb.org/washington-seminar to make your
reservations using booking code F7B.

              The rates are $188 a night for a room accommodating up to four
persons, and the applicable tax is 14.5 percent. These rates are good for
check in as early as January 29 and check out by February 3. While the
reservation deadline is December 28, I urge you to take care of this now
before the holidays get too busy.  Also, please notify me if you are
planning to attend the Washington Seminar at (803) 796-8662 in order for us
to make the necessary transportation arrangements.

              The Christmas season is a very beautiful and special time of
the year.  I especially enjoy listening to Christmas music, being with
family and friends, eating wonderful food, and watching our grandchildren
opening their gifts on Christmas morning.  Shelley and I would like to take
this opportunity to wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas
and let's all of us remember the "Reason for the Season".

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Merry Christmas to each and every one of you across the state.
I hope it's the best Christmas for all of you.  Do you remember your first
Christmas?  I do.  I was about three or four years old when I remembered my
first Christmas.  This would have been in 1931.  It was during the height of
the Great Depression.  That year, 1931, we moved into a large two-story
house, some seven miles south of Mullins in Marion County.  My older
brothers grabbed an axe and made their way to the woods on the farm where
they cut down the best tree for Christmas and brought it home, placing it in
the living room of the big house.  My older sisters decorated the tree
utilizing ornaments, etc.  I thought it was beautiful.  There was no
electricity in our house.  As a matter of fact, until the late 1930's there
was no electricity available in the countryside where we lived.  In the mid
to late 1930's under the leadership of President Franklin D. Roosevelt,
electricity was made available under the Rural Electrification Association.
Even so, most country families, even ours, could not initially afford
electricity, relying upon oil lamps, etc.  I remember getting up early and
rushing to the living room where I had a bag of fruit and two toys.  I gave
Santa Claus the credit.  We wanted to see if we could identify where Old
Saint Nick had entered the house and, therefore, we made a dash to the
chimney outside and sure enough, there were tracks according to us,
confirming Santa's visit.  As indicated, those were hard times.  However,
everybody else was poor.  My mother had lost the farm which had been
inherited by her and this was the result of the Depression.  I remember
there was a little boy about my age who lived with his family near our
residence.  One day it was cold and when he was seen by my mother who
observed the little boy poorly dressed with no shoes, one way or another she
got the necessary money to buy him an outfit including a pair of tennis
shoes.  Incidentally, I'm aware that the little boy went on to become highly
successful in the field of education.

              Betty and I had two children in the 1950's.  From that time
until the late 1960's we enjoyed arranging Santa to visit our house.  We now
have three adult grandchildren and three great-grandchildren ages three,
five and seven.  I know Old Santa will stop by Louisville to drop off
presents for the little ones.  I hope Santa visits your home.

Final Thought:  "Why does the farmer plant a crop when there exists the
challenge of in climate weather, blight on the crops and other issues?
Because he takes these things into consideration, but he is also "Raising
Expectations" that he will have a good crop at harvest time.

December 21, 2016

Memo To:  NFB of SC 2018-2017 Committee Members and Chairpersons and Other
Federationists

From:  Frank Coppel, President

Attached you will find a listing of the 2016-2017 NFB of SC Committees
listing each committee, its Chairperson and the committee members.  Please
review these committees and note the ones you may be listed on as a chair or
as a member.  Contact the committee chair should you have any questions
about the committee or contact the state office.  These committees are very
important and determine the strength and direction of the NFB of SC.  As we
are "Raising Expectations" in 2017, your input and cooperation is very
important.  Others not serving on these committees will find the information
helpful should you desire to become involved with any of these committees.
See you at the Statewide Seminar on February 4!

2017 NFB of SC Committees

PAC Committee

Dale Wolthoff, Chairperson

Debra Canty

Marty McKenzie

Levern Wilson

Loretta Green

Jamie Allison

2017 NFB of SC Committees

Donald C. Capps Award Committee

David Houck, Chairman

Valerie Warrington

Carey Burriss

Levern Wilson

David Bundy

2017 NFB of SC Committees

Door Prize Committee

Lenora Robertson, Chairperson

Lenora to provide list.

2017 NFB of SC Committees

White Cane Safety Day Walk-A-Thon Committee

JW Smith, Chairman

Carey Burriss, Vice-Chairman

Dorcus Campbell

Leverne Wilson

Debra Canty

Dorothy Barksdale

Loretta Green

2017 NFB of SC Committees

Grants Committee

David Houck, Chairperson

Donald Capps

Ed Bible

Valerie Warrington

Debra Canty

2017 NFB of SC Committees

Public Relations Committee

Ed Bible, Chairman

Jennifer Bazer

J.W. Smith

Thom Spittle

Debra Canty

Levern Wilson

Nancy Erwin

Loretta Green

Ronald Benjamin

2017 NFB of SC Committees

Associate Member of the Year Award Committee

Valerie Warrington, Chairman

JW Smith

Valerie Johnson

Julie Bible