[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1538

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Feb 3 13:14:55 UTC 2016

February 3, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              As many of you know, the NFB of SC and the South Carolina
Commission for the Blind have been partnering together to plan the 50th
Anniversary celebration of the agency.  The NFB of SC is specifically
working with the Commission for the Blind in planning for a banquet which
will be held on Friday evening, May 6, 2016.  Besides hosting a banquet, the
Commission for the Blind is considering having a weeklong celebration of
activities to commemorate this milestone.  One of the activities the agency
is considering is a "dining in the dark" event.  Although Shannon Cook and
myself as well as other blind staff members have expressed reservations
regarding this particular event, it appears the agency is still considering
hosting this event as part of the 50th anniversary celebration.  During the
past few days, it has been brought to my attention by concerned
Federationists, a resolution addressing this issue was adopted at the 2012
NFB National convention in Dallas Texas.  The resolution reads as follows;

Resolution 2012-04 - Regarding Dining in the Dark

              WHEREAS, the real problem of blindness is not the loss of
eyesight but the widespread public misconception that the blind are not
equal to the sighted in society; and

              WHEREAS, the National Federation of the Blind categorically
rejects the myth that the blind are not equal to the sighted; and

              WHEREAS, programs of the National Federation of the Blind
teach and promote a positive understanding of blindness, that the blind are
normal and equal members of society, and that blindness does not mean
inferiority; and

              WHEREAS, an activity known as "dining in the dark" is being
promoted and used to raise funds by having sighted people experience
blindness by eating in the dark; and

              WHEREAS, an article published in Time magazine entitled
"Dining in the Dark" assures would-be diners that the cook "works in a
well-lit kitchen"; and

              WHEREAS, the Dining in the Dark
website--www.dininginthedark.org--states: "you will pick from a specially
prepared menu (designed by a sighted local 'star' chef)" and "In darkness
everyone becomes equal. Our opinions can't be molded by dress, mannerisms,
or makeup as none of it can be seen.  You learn that without sight your
other senses become more acute"; and

              WHEREAS, these statements lay bare the underlying philosophy
of dining in the dark, that sight means superior ability, and that, when
sight is removed in the dark, the blind and the sighted are equal: Now,
therefore,

              BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind in
Convention assembled this fourth day of July, 2012,  in the city of Dallas,
Texas, that this organization condemn and deplore the use of dining in the
dark in a manner that diminishes the innate normality and equal status of
the blind in society; and

              BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this organization pursue an active
policy of opposition to dining in the dark activities and events, including
use of media and public protests, whenever and wherever such activities and
events exploit blindness and blind people based on a demeaning philosophy.

              As we know, resolutions adopted by members at our National
convention become the policies of the National Federation of the Blind.  It
is my firm belief, we as members of the NFB of SC need to fully support
2012-04 and strongly oppose a "Dining in the Dark" activity currently being
considered by the South Carolina Commission for the Blind.  It is my sincere
hope that we can turn our focus toward planning a program which will depict
blindness in a realistic and positive manner in accordance with our
philosophy.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              I was stunned to learn that the SC Commission for the Blind is
considering a "Dining in the Dark" event as part of their week long
activities.  It's unfortunate that this has occurred as it is a distraction
to the other positive activities.  It seems the Commission personnel
disregarded and disrespected the views of the blind staff who opposed the
Dining in the Dark event.  The blind staff members of the Commission for the
Blind are absolutely correct in their opposition to the Dining in the Dark
activity.    We are glad, however, that there will be a Banquet on Friday
night, May 6, 2016 as an important highlight of the 50th anniversary
celebration.

              As many of you know, Gov. Robert E. McNair signed the
Commission for the Blind Bill into law on May 6, 1966, exactly 50 years ago.
It was my privilege to attend this signing ceremony in Gov. McNair's office.
As a part of the signing ceremony, the pen Gov. McNair used to sign the Bill
was then handed to my wife Betty.  This pen is in the Legislative Hall of
Fame in the Board Room of the Federation Center of the Blind.  To provide
our readers with the picture of the signing ceremony, we are enclosing a
copy of the picture used on the cover page of what was then called the
Palmetto Auroran (now the Palmetto Blind) from May 1966.

              It will be noted that four years ago the NFB was vehemently
opposed to any Dining in the Dark event as clearly covered in the July 4,
2012 resolution adopted at the national convention in Dallas.  Thus, this
policy is still relevant today and we cannot be a part of any attempt by the
Commission to alienate the blind.

              Since the SC Legislature and the Governor's Office were
involved in the Commission Bill 50 years ago, we may want to approach the
Legislature requesting a suitable resolution commemorating the 50th
anniversary of the Commission for the Blind.

              We call upon Commission officials including a shorthanded
Board of Commissioners and my friend Commissioner Jim Kirby to herewith
cease any further planning to have a Dining in the Dark event, as already
stated would be very offensive to the blind.

              We commend our state President Frank Coppel for his strong
stand and leadership in opposing the Dining in the Dark issue.  Instead, we
believe the Commission for the Blind has enjoyed outstanding success during
its 50 year history serving the blind and we strongly support Frank Coppel's
recommendation that the Commission "can turn its focus toward planning a
program which will depict blindness in a realistic and positive manner in
accordance with our philosophy."  The 50th anniversary celebration should
focus upon highlighting successful blind young people, college students,
career placements and senior citizens.  All of us involved in this big
program of service to the blind want to participate in a manner that derives
happiness and pride.

Final Thought:  "Groundhog Day:  Nature's first weather forecaster."