[Nfbofsc] COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER - JANUARY 15, 2016

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Mon Jan 18 13:38:51 UTC 2016

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

JANUARY 15, 2016

CHAPTER AND STATE DUES

              It's not too early to begin turning in your chapter and state
dues of $15 for 2016 for the Columbia Chapter.  Remember that we need to
have your name, address, phone number and email address if you have one.
These things do change and if we do not have updated information, we cannot
keep you up to date on what's going on.  The deadline for dues is January
31, so why wait!  If you do not pay your $15 dues by January 31, $3 will be
added to your dues payment and you will not be able to ride the chapter
vans.

NFB ORLANDO 23016 CONVENTION DETAILS

              At the State Board meeting, which was held during the two hour
lunch break, the Board voted unanimously to charge $100 for a seat on the
charter bus going to the National Convention in Orlando, Florida.
Congratulations to Trent Tedder as he was the winner of the Orlando National
Convention bus fund raffle.  Trent won $600 as he was the buyer and seller
of the winning ticket.  Also, congratulations to the Columbia Chapter for
selling 1,594 bus tickets and finishing in first place.  The Sumter Chapter
finished second selling 600 bus tickets and the Rock hill Chapter finished
third selling 237 tickets.  The date of this year's national convention will
be June 30, to July 5, 2016 and will be held at the Rosen Shingle Creek
Resort.  The 2016 room rates are singles and doubles, $83; and triples and
quads, $89. In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at
present is 12.5 percent. No charge will be made for children under seventeen
in the room with their parents as long as no extra bed is requested. Please
note that the hotel is a no-smoking facility.

              For 2016 convention room reservations you can call the hotel
at (866) 996-6338 after January 1. You may also write directly to the Rosen
Shingle Creek, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. The
hotel will want a deposit of $95 for each room and will want a credit card
number or a personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will be
charged against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a $95
check. If a reservation is cancelled before Friday May, 27, 2016, half of
the deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.  The
charter bus will leave Columbia at 8:00 a.m. Thursday, June 30.  The bus
will leave Orlando at 8:00 a.m. and return to Columbia Wednesday, July 6.
We are now accepting your reservation fee of $100 to ride the charter bus to
Orlando.  Remember, this reservation fee is non-refundable and
non-transferable.

FEBRUARY 12 SWEETHEART DANCE

              Remember, the NFB of SC is planning a Sweetheart dance which
will be held February 12, 2016 at the Federation Center from 6:00 p.m. to 9
p.m.  The evening promises to be a fun and enjoyable experience with a
professionally catered dinner, music, door prizes and dancing.  Tickets to
this event will only be $25 per person.  If you wish to purchase a ticket
you can contact Linda Dizzley at (803) 428-4273.  All tickets must be
purchased by February 4.  We are also planning to reserve a block of rooms
at a nearby hotel for those of you who live outside of Columbia and would
like to attend the dance.  Frank Coppel is selling tickets as well.

JANUARY 25 FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE MEETING

              Our first BBQ Committee meeting will be held on Monday,
January 25 at 6:30 p.m.  Please check the committee listing below for your
name.

2016 COLUMBIA CHAPTER COMMITTEES

BBQ (FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE)

CHAIR Tiffiny Mitchell Isiah Nelson Dorothy Barksdale Jennifer Bazar Katie
Jackson Steve Cooke David Bundy  Frank and Shelly Coppel Ed and Julie Bible
David Houck Katherine Ziegler Maggie Floyd Donald Capps Katherine Williams
Mary Peters Pat and Dale Wolthoff

PUBLIC RELATIONS

CHAIR Steve Cooke. Jim Jackson. Karen Jones. David Bundy

MEMBERSHIP

CHAIR Jennifer Bazer. Justin Williams. Ernest Gallman. Melanie Torrance

CONTACT

CHAIR Shannon Cooke. Patronda Anderson. Leanna Hall Shelly Coppel

BIRTHDAY CLUB

CHAIR Dorothy Barksdale. Tiffiny Mitchell

PROGRAM

CHAIR Donald Capps Kitchen Isiah Nelson. John Nelson. Harriett Tucker.
Katherine Williams. Gloria Washington

HOSPITALITY/WE CARE

CHAIR Katie Jackson. Pricilla Austin. Jean Sutton

BINGO FEBRUARY 18

              The Telephone Pioneers will be sponsoring a free BINGO on
Thursday, February 18.  Mark your calendars now!

BREAKFAST CHAPTER FUNDRAISER FEBRUARY 20

              The Columbia Chapter will be holding a fundraising breakfast
on Saturday, February 20 between 7:30 and 11:30 a.m. at a cost of $12 per
person.  Come out, enjoy a good breakfast and help the Columbia Chapter!

ITEMS FOR SALE!

              The Columbia Chapter is selling T-shirts for $15 for sizes
small through 1X and $17 for sizes 2X and 3X.  These bear the new federation
logo, Columbia Chapter on the sleeve and the quote "Live the life you want."
See Tiffiny Mitchell to get yours!

              The NFB of SC is selling 16 ounce coffee thermoses for $15
each.  See Frank Coppel to get one.

JANUARY 15 COLUMBIA CHAPTER MEETING

              President Tiffiny Mitchell gaveled the meeting to order at
6:30 p.m.  WE are saddened to report the loss of Julia Rembert and Jean
Sutton's father.  Please keep the families in your prayers.  Isaiah Nelson
made his "Ike's Special" dinner.  We welcomed Adrenia Jackson who helps with
the BINGO each quarter and Ann Price and her mother to the meeting.  Pearl
Riley's mother, Viola Martin was voted in as a new member.   President
Mitchell thanked everyone for their hard work in selling upwards of 2,000
bus tickets, winning $300 for the Columbia Chapter.  A drawing was done by
those who sold tickets and Isaiah Nelson won the prize.  Shelley Coppel gave
a devotional on "casting al your cares upon Him for He cares for you."

              Roger Hernandez is moving to Texas.  Beginning with the May
chapter meeting, we will begin Columbia Chapter meetings at 6:15 p.m.
instead of 6:30 p.m. so that we can finish earlier and more members can
utilize DART to get home.

              Dr. Capps introduced our guest speaker, his Pastor, Rev. Terry
Smoak of Kilbourne Park Baptist Church, and his wife was with him as well.
His message on how to live morally in an immoral world was well received.
Frank Coppel discussed the Statewide Seminar, Orlando NFB Convention and NFB
of SC October Myrtle Beach arrangements to date.  We hope to know more
details by the February 11 chapter meeting concerning the hotel we will use
in Myrtle Beach.  An offering was taken to help the Center pay its phone and
internet bill and $153.25 was raised by the membership.  On Sunday, January
24 the chapter will visit the Harvest Church services at 11:00 a.m.  Please
let Tiffiny know if you are going.  Tiffiny Mitchell stated that she knows
someone who can teach Line Dancing and Aerobics.  Let her know if you are
interested.  Also let President Mitchell know if you want basic computer
training as David Bundy and Jim Jackson will voluntarily teach the classes.
Jennifer Bazer is looking for assistance with Children's Camp at Rocky
Bottom the third week in July.  Isaiah Nelson announced the 2016 SCSDB
Alumni meeting will be held October 15 and 16.  In David Houck's Center
report he thanked Justin and Catherine Williams for putting up new blinds in
the meeting hall and in the kitchen as well as new kitchen curtains.  Ed
Bible was responsible for getting the Federation Center a 3D Photo Works
tactile map of SC which hangs in the meeting hall.  The next edition of the
Palmetto Blind is in progress and President Coppel appointed David Houck to
be the Editor.  Diane Taylor won $60 in the 50-50 drawing and Darlene Houck
won $5 in a second drawing.

Enjoy your new year!

Tiffiny Mitchell, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC