[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1560

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jul 6 13:20:21 UTC 2016

July 6, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Hello from Orlando, Florida where Shelley and I had a
wonderful time attending the 2016 NFB national convention.  This was my 34th
convention and no doubt this convention ranked high on my list of best of
the best conventions.  We had 2,368 federationists attend this year's
convention.  South Carolina was proud to have 73 delegates which I feel was
a pretty good turnout.  Hopefully next year we can increase the number to
100.  The convention had many outstanding presentations and throughout the
ballroom it was filled with a great deal of enthusiasm and energy.  Of
course, President Riccobono's Presidential Report and Banquet address were
outstanding.

              The highlight of the convention as always is the Banquet.  The
NFB gave out thirty scholarships and these young men and women were
extremely impressive.  The highlight for me came toward the end of the
Banquet when Dr. Maurer presented Jerry and Marilyn Whittle with the Jacobus
tenBroek Award.  Most of us know Jerry got his start in South Carolina and
he made mention of that by saying, "I want to thank Mr. Capps for being my
federation father,"   and he had many fond wishes for Betty Capps as well.
During his speech to the audience he stated, "The NFB gave my life back to
me."

              I am pleased to announce that our fundraiser at our Exhibit
Hall table was very successful.  Debra Canty, Second Vice President of the
NFB of SC and our Fundraising Chairperson reported to me that they raised
$800 for the state organization.  Kudos to Debra and her volunteers for
doing a great job!  It was also good to see Parnell Diggs who sat with us in
our delegation on several occasions.  I am sad to report of the passing of
Commissioner Jim Kirby's mother, Irene Tollison Kirby on Saturday, June 25.
I am also saddened to report on the passing of Thoim Spittle's mother.  We
need to keep both of these families in our thoughts and prayers.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Rocky Bottom is a sleepy mountain community but comes alive
every Fourth of July featuring an outstanding parade.  Brooke Rivers,
Resident Manager of RBRCCB, writes the following:

              "Jami and I enjoyed cheering on the parade.  There was a
reception afterward held at the residence of Advisory Board member Billy
Singleton.  The barbecue was the best I've tasted in quite some time.

              The parade began at 6:00 p.m. with all of the local community
and many of their friends and family decked out in their most patriotic
colors on the top of Rocky Bottom Road. Everything from bicycles to golf
carts, gators, trucks, and jeeps were decked out in red white and blue and
American flags as they processed down Rocky Bottom Road and ended at the
Singleton's home at the very bottom of the mountain.

              The parade and fireworks are a Rocky Bottom tradition that
began eighteen years ago and was headed up again this year by Billy
Singleton.

              During the reception after the parade Billy Singleton's son in
law outdid himself making enough barbecue for everyone in attendance. The
reception was a potluck style dinner with many wonderful home cooked sides
and apple pie. The fireworks were the highlight of the evening and lasted
over a half hour! The neighbors across the road in the old county store were
not to be outdone this year and brought better fireworks than last year.
Each time the Singletons set off a volley of fireworks into the night sky,
the neighbors set off their own fireworks in answer which were almost as big
and beautiful. Jami said the Singleton's had the competition beat however
and are still the reigning champions for the best firework display in Rocky
Bottom.  The Singleton's hospitality and good cheer never fail to make the
4th of July the highlight of the summer. We're already looking forward to
next year!"

              I'm dictating this Tuesday, July 5 realizing this is the last
day of the NFB convention which will end tonight featuring the Banquet.  I
certainly would like to be there but I am blessed to have attended NFB
conventions for a half century between 1956 and 2011.  Convention Banquets
are always a highlight of the convention as there is so much enthusiasm.  It
doesn't matter whether we sit in the audience or at the head table, as
throughout the Banquet Hall there was excitement and we always got caught up
in it.  Betty and I were fortunate to be invited to sit at the head table
which was made possible by invitations by both President Jernigan and
President Maurer.  Betty's responsibility was to work the computer which
brought up the names of door prize winners.  On several occasions I served
as Master of Ceremonies which was always enjoyable but also required
considerable focus needed to be certain everything proceeded in order.  As
you see, I have gone down Memory Lane the last day of the 2016 NFB
convention.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #12:  1971 -
Bill #S580 gives authorization to the SC Commission for the Blind to
construct an Adult Training and Adjustment Center.