[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1563

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 12:40:19 UTC 2016

July 27, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              In the summer edition of the South Carolina Living magazine,
an article appeared recognizing LeVern Wilson and the Conway chapter along
with other non-profit organizations as being recipients of the "Acts of
Kindness Award" sponsored by the Horry Electric Cooperative.  In accepting
this award and a contribution of $500 to the Conway Chapter, Mr. Wilson
stated in the article this generous contribution will be used to assist his
members to attend the NFB of SC State convention which will be held in
Myrtle Beach later in the fall.  Kudos to the Conway chapter and its
President, LeVern Wilson, for working hard to raise funds to assist chapter
members to attend the State Convention.  As a Chapter President, you also
can work hard to contact civic organizations and businesses in your
community in an effort to raise additional funds to assist members to attend
this year's convention.  It is my hope all chapters are working diligently
to ensure their members have an opportunity to come and participate in the
2016 NFB of SC state convention.  By the way, the program for the state
convention is shaping up nicely.  If you would like to see a particular
agenda item on the program, please contact me as soon as possible.

              Speaking of the 2016 NFB of SC State Convention, it is hard to
believe the convention is only three months away.  If you have not done so
already, please make your room reservations at the Ocean Dunes/Sands Resort
hotel in Myrtle Beach the weekend of October 28-30.  To make your room
reservations call the Sands resort Central Reservations at 1-800-599-9872
and inform the reservationist you are reserving a room for the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina state convention.  All
reservations must be guaranteed by check or credit card and received within
5 days of reservation date. Advance deposits will be credited to the last
night's stay as indicated by individual reservation request.  Room rates for
this year's convention are very affordable.  The price of rooms including
taxes is $87 per night for ocean view and $99 per night ocean front and can
accommodate up to four in a room.  These room rates will be available three
days before or three days after the convention.

              Also, please send in your $70 preregistration fee for this
year's State Convention.  Please send your $70 preregistration fee to the
Federation Center of the Blind, 119 S. Kilbourne Rd. Columbia, SC 29205.
All preregistration fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable.  As in past
years, the $70 preregistration fee will cover the reception on Friday
evening, continental breakfast Saturday morning, luncheon, banquet, and a
continental breakfast Sunday morning.  The deadline to accept your $70
preregistration fee is September 23.  If you wait until after the deadline
of September 23, the registration will increase to $85.  Save $15 and
preregister early!

              We have an announcement from Steve Cook, President of the
Computer Science and Technology Division.  "President Tiffiny Mitchell of
the Columbia Chapter of the NFB of SC asked me to set up an official Face
Book page for our chapter.  If you would like to join our group, look us up
on Face Book as the "Official Columbia Chapter of the NFB of SC."

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Having participated in Rotary for some 40 years I'm familiar
with the work of a service organization.  I'm convinced that the Salem Lions
Club is one of the finest civic organizations in the country.  Throughout
the years the Salem Lions Club has made considerable financial gifts to
RBRCCB.  This fine organization has also held "workdays" making repairs,
etc.  I'm reminded of attending a meeting of the Salem Lions Club last
August where I was to be presented with a check in the amount of $3,000 to
complete the funds needed to finalize repairs to Lawton Hall.

              Incidentally, I have been advised by Jennifer Bazer, Director
of Children's Camp that Lawton Hall was used extensively for devotionals,
meetings, group presentations and a talent show.  Also, she arranged for a
ramp to be made so that a camper could enter and enjoy Lawton Hall in a
wheelchair.

              Earlier, the Salem Lions Club had shampooed all of the seats
in Lawton Hall.  We are now advised that the Salem Lions Club is donating
washing machines to RBRCCB and this is a major gift as we need this
equipment.

              Congratulations to Levern Wilson, the excellent President of
the Conway Chapter on being presented with a check for $500 by the Horry
Electric Cooperative to be used for their members assistance in attending
the October 28 to 30 NFB of SC Convention.  This presentation to Levern and
the Conway Chapter was covered in the Horry Electric magazine.  Also, our
thanks to Levern who is on the Board of Directors of the NFB of SC for the
chapter's gift of $200 to the Federation Center.  Our statewide service is
handled by the Federation Center and contributions are very much in order.

              It is only five weeks away that we will be celebrating the
annual Fun Day Festival at RBRCCB.  We have heard from a number of members
who have signed up for Labor Day.  If you have not yet made your
reservations, you should do so now so that you can be assured of an
accommodation.  In order to make Fun Day a success you need to sell your $5
Fun Day tickets.   Also, we need to secure auction items.  It is not too
early to purchase your $10 tickets to the Rickey Godfrey concert which will
be held Saturday afternoon September 3 between 3:00 and 4:30 p.m.  As you
can see, there is considerable activity taking place.  And then there is of
course the statewide convention taking place between October 28 and 30.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #15 & #31:
1972      - Bill #3071 gives rights to blind persons as to access to and
enjoyment of public buildings, conveyances, housing facilities, use of guide
dogs and to provide for an annual White Cane Safety Day each October 15,
known as The Model White Cane Law.               2000 - Stopped legislative
initiative which would "water down" the effectiveness of "The Model White
Cane Law."