[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1558

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jun 22 12:58:04 UTC 2016

June 22, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              We begin this Positive Note with an important announcement
from Shannon Cook, Chairperson of the NFB of SC Scholarship committee.  "It
is less than a month away from the deadline for all scholarship applications
and accompanying materials to be submitted.  Please urge eligible chapter
members and students to go to www.nfbofsc.org and complete the application
by July 18, 2016. I have gotten several applications so far, and look
forward to receiving many more worthy submissions.  Thanks to all applicants
and supporters of the scholarship program!

              Congratulations to Charlis Borodin, President of our Grand
Strand chapter and her members for their $1,000 contribution to the NFB of
SC Scholarship program.  I believe this is the first time the Grand Strand
chapter has participated in the Scholarship program. The chapter is giving
this scholarship in honor of our former State President, Parnell Diggs who
was also a member of the Grand Strand chapter for many years.  This
scholarship along with other monies will be given to deserving college
students at our State Convention banquet Saturday evening, October 29.  If
you or your chapter would like to make a significant contribution of $500 or
more in memory of or in honor of an individual to the NFB of SC Scholarship
program, you can do so by sending a check to the Federation Center of the
Blind, 119 S. Killbourne Rd., Columbia SC 29205.  You or your chapter can
also make a smaller contribution of $100 or less, to the Metro Scholarship
fund.

              I had the pleasure of talking with Charlis Borodin on the
phone last week, and she informed me her chapter members are extremely
excited of having the state convention in their "back yard" this year.
Speaking of the 2016 state convention, it is not too early to make your room
reservations at the Ocean Dunes/Sands Resort Hotel in Myrtle Beach the
weekend of October 28-30.  To make your room reservations call the Sands
Resort Central Reservations at 1-800-599-9872 and inform the reservationist
you are reserving a room for the National Federation of the Blind of South
Carolina state convention.  All reservations must be guaranteed by check or
credit card and received within 5 days of reservation date. Advance deposits
will be credited to the last night's stay as indicated by individual
reservation request.  Room rates for this year's convention are very
affordable.  The price of rooms including taxes is $87 per night for ocean
view and $99 per night ocean front and can accommodate up to four in a room.
These room rates will be available three days before or three days after the
convention.

              We are also now accepting your $70 preregistration fee for
this year's State Convention.  Please send your $70 preregistration fee to
the Federation Center of the Blind, 119 S. Killbourne Rd. Columbia, SC
29205.  All preregistration fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable.  The
deadline to accept your $70 preregistration fee is September 23.  If you
wait until after the deadline of September 23, the registration will
increase to $85.  Save $15 and preregister early!

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Billy Singleton is a distinguished member of the Advisory
Board of RBRCCB.  He is also a patriotic American.  For a number of years
Mr. Singleton has spearheaded a July 4 parade at Rocky Bottom.  No doubt he
is currently working on this annual event which attracts considerable
interest throughout the Rocky Bottom community.  He also supports RBRCCB as
well as other federation functions.  Mr. Singleton upon learning of the
Mattress Fund project in last week's Positive Note, immediately made a
contribution of $100 which was the first received from an Advisory Board
member.  We are grateful to Mr. Singleton for his generosity.

              During Senior Week at RBRCCB, it's Director, Frank Coppel
following a field trip stopped by with the seniors for dinner at the
Sagebrush Steakhouse in Brevard.  The service was terrible during their
visit and afterward Mr. Coppel contacted the regional office to complain
about the lack of service.  The regional manager wanted to make things right
and the company, upon Mr. Coppel's request, offered $250 toward the Mattress
Fund at RBRCCB.  This takes the Mattress Fund total to $1,250 which is
adequate to furnish two rooms in the Ellenburg Lodge.  This was followed by
a contribution of $500 from the Belvedere Chapter and $400 from Senior Blind
Week along with Mr. Singleton's $100.

              Over the weekend I called Lenora Robertson concerning food
arrangements for the Fun Day Festival.  Lenora explained that the amount of
$40 will be charged this year which is the same as last year.  The $40
amount is broken down as follows:  $30 for the six meals over the weekend
and the special Saturday lunch at a cost of $10.  The $30 should be given to
RBRCCB Treasurer Valerie Warrington with Lenora's representative receiving
the $10.  Lenora tells me that once again the Saturday luncheon will feature
barbecue.  Lenora is a faithful volunteer working the food service
throughout the year.  She has our gratitude.

              One of the highlights of the Fun Day Festival is the
appearance of Rickey Godfrey of Nashville who will perform Saturday
afternoon, September 3 between 3:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.  The tickets are only
$10 each and can be purchased from the state office (803-254-3777) or from
our RBRCCB office (864-878-9090).  Another feature is the Auction which will
be held Sunday afternoon, September 4 beginning around 12:00 noon.  We need
for someone to volunteer to be the Auctioneer.  Your help in this regard
will be appreciated.  We need participants to bring auction items as this is
one of the top money makers for this program.  Once again Frank Coppel will
head up the merchandise committee.  As we did last year we expect David
Houck to head up Fun Day ticket sales, Alma Lee Doyle will head up the Yard
Sale, Brooke Rivers will head up the Old Country Store, and we will need a
volunteer to head up BINGO.  The Fun Day Festival is the only statewide
funding program for RBRCCB and it is essential for everyone to support this
project.

              Betty and I will be celebrating our 67th wedding anniversary
this Saturday, June 25.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #10:  1970 -
Act #1286 authorizes the Association of the Blind of South Carolina to
transfer certain real estate to the SC Commission for the Blind.