[Nfbofsc] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Requesting Your Assistance to Provide Materials to Blind Youth in Nicaragua

justin justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 02:43:43 UTC 2016

From: Nfbnet-members-list [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Sean Whalen via Nfbnet-members-list
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2016 9:32 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Requesting Your Assistance to Provide
Materials to Blind Youth in Nicaragua

Greetings fellow Federationists,

My name is Sean Whalen. I currently serve as the president of the National
Association of Blind Students and have been heavily involved with the work
of the Federation for nearly a decade. I am currently on a deferral from law
school and am living and working in Nicaragua with blind youth through a
small NGO call Empowerment Through Integration (ETI). Having seen the
immense positive impact that exposure to a positive philosophy on blindness
and the development of the essential skills of blindness had in my life, I
am now attempting to provide those skills and that philosophy to blind
youngsters in Nicaragua.

One of the greatest challenges in the education of blind kids here is a lack
of resources. That is why I am asking for your help. As National Convention
approaches, I am reaching out to my extended Federation family in an attempt
to collect materials of use to blind youth and their educators. I have
established relationships with organizations of, and schools for, the blind
here in Nicaragua. And they are all in desperate need of basic materials.
Canes, slates, Braille paper, accessible cell phones, tablets, old laptops:
these are all things that are difficult to come by and very much needed. I
am asking you, as you pack for Convention, if you have any of these items
and are not using them, or anything else that would be of use to blind
youth, please consider tossing them in your suitcase and letting me take
them back with me after Convention to distribute to schools and training
programs for blind kids. If you have materials to donate, but can't bring
them to Orlando, please contact me and we can arrange for you to send them
to ETI in Boston via free matter, from where I will pick them up prior to
flying back to Central America. And if you don't have anything to donate but
wish to support the cause, please contact me directly and we would be
thrilled to accept any donations to our 501C3 organization. All funds will
be used to provide canes and other basic materials for blind youngsters
here.

Do you have more slates than you know what to do with, or an old iPhone
laying in a drawer collecting dust? These items that you scarcely think
about could make a real meaningful difference in the lives of blind kids who
are not as fortunate as we were to have the training and opportunities
offered in our country. If you have any questions at all about our work or
about donating to the effort, please do not hesitate to contact me at
smwhalenpsp at gmail.com <mailto:smwhalenpsp at gmail.com>  or by texting or
calling 608 957-7337.

Thank you very much, and see you in Orlando!

Sincerely,

Sean Whalen