[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1559

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Mon Jun 27 17:15:09 UTC 2016

June 27, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Since many of us will be traveling Wednesday and Thursday to
Orlando, Florida to attend the 2016 NFB National Convention, we are
releasing this week's Positive Note a couple days early.  I am very pleased
to announce the NFB of SC will have a table in the Exhibit Hall at this
year's convention.  Debra Canty, Second Vice President and Chairperson of
the statewide fund raising committee, did a great job securing items to sell
and recruiting volunteers to man the table.  Please check out the South
Carolina table (A37) and help support the state organization!

              Those of you who are riding the vans to the National
Convention, please make every effort to be at the Federation Center of the
Blind, 119 S. Killbourne Rd. in Columbia no later than 7:30 a.m. on
Thursday, June 30.  By doing this, there will be sufficient time to load the
luggage and the vans will be able to depart from the Federation Center
promptly at 8:00 a.m.  Some passengers may want to board the van at the rest
area on I-26 eastbound in Orangeburg around 9:00 a.m. as well as the Georgia
Welcome Center near the state line on I-95 south around 10:30 a.m. Remember
that whenever you board you should be at the pick-up point thirty minutes
before the vans are ready to depart.  The vans will arrive in Orlando on
Thursday afternoon, June 30, if the vans remain on schedule.  I have
appointed NFB of SC Secretary, Dorothy Barksdale, to be the bus captain for
this trip.  I have full confidence everyone riding the vans will treat each
other with curtesy and respect.  Please do not forget to enclose in an
envelope the name and phone number of a person to be contacted in case of an
emergency.  Please also list any special medications which you are taking.
The envelope should be sealed with your name clearly written on it.  This
envelope should be handed to Ms. Barksdale when you board as she will be in
charge of the vans.

              It is gratifying to know that many of you across the state are
making the necessary sacrifices to attend the National Convention, and we
urge all of you to participate fully, attending all sessions which are
important in our Federation growth and service.

          If you did not pre-register, please be sure to register for the
convention on Friday morning which is necessary to receive the special hotel
rates and any other possible assistance.   Let's have a great 2016 National
Convention and I look forward to seeing many of you in Orlando!

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              During the past couple of weeks the state office here in
Columbia has received considerable good news.  The NFB of SC scholarship
program is especially important as it is essential in getting good jobs to
have a college degree.  A few days ago we received notice from our Myrtle
Beach Chapter that it was giving a $1,000 scholarship to the NFB of SC in
honor of the chapter's appreciation of Parnell Diggs who served as its
chapter president for a number of years.  Parnell was especially grateful
for this high honor and wrote the following:

              "Dear President Charlis:  I was so honored to read in today's
Positive Note that the Grand Strand Chapter of the NFB of SC is donating a
$1000 scholarship in my name at the 2016 State Convention in Myrtle Beach.
Though I am now located in Baltimore, I keep up with the work of the Grand
Strand Chapter on a regular basis and even participate in chapter activities
when I'm in the area. As you know, I worked a shift at Belk during the
Charity Days event last October while I was in Myrtle Beach over a 24-hour
period, and there will be other opportunities to support the chapter in the
future.  You are doing a great job as President."

              The NFB of SC wishes to comment both the Grand Strand Chapter
and Parnell Diggs.  Some of you across the state may not realize it but
Parnell served as NFB of SC President for 15 years.  As a matter of fact, he
is in the top ten in time served as state president among all NFB affiliate
Presidents.  In recognition of his NFB of SC service, the national office
hired Parnell as their Director of Governmental Affairs where he is doing a
great job.

              We were gratified to receive a $500 gift from the Belvedere
Chapter in establishment of the Mattress Fund for the Ellenburg Lodge.
Also, we appreciate the $400 contribution from the senior blind.  A gift of
$100 was received from our Advisory Board member Billy Singleton which
increased the Mattress Fund total to $1,000.  We hope that other chapters
will also make generous contributions to the Rocky Bottom Mattress Fund.

              Recently we sent chapters and divisions $5 Fun Day tickets.
Progress is being made in this area.  Our First Vice President and Rock Hill
Chapter President Lenora Robertson called the state office to request that
she be mailed 150 more tickets for her Lions Club to sell.  Our Upper
Dorchester Chapter President and member of the NFB of SC state board Loretta
Green requested 30 more Fun Day tickets to sell.  Our Columbia Chapter has
distributed Fun Day tickets to its members.  Ike Nelson, Columbia Chapter
First Vice President has turned in 10 tickets.  Also, Anthony Nelson has
sold 10 tickets.  We are proud of several Nelson family members that are
supportive of the NFB of SC and Rocky Bottom.  It appears that this year's
Fun Day ticket program has gotten off to the best beginning ever and we hope
other chapters will respond and support this worthwhile program.  It's not
too early to get in your reservations for the Fun Day Festival.  All
reservations are handled on a first-come, first-served basis.  As previously
reported, most participants arrive Friday evening, September 2 and depart on
Monday, September 5.  The big attraction during this year's Fun Day Festival
will be Nashville's Rickey Godfrey.  He will perform a benefit concert on
Saturday afternoon, September 3 between 3:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.  The
admission charge is a very affordable price of $10 which will increase Fun
Day profits.  RBRCCB is concluding one of the best June's ever and July and
August promise to be equally busy.  However, if any of you wish to go to
RBRCCB, I suggest you call our Resident Manager Brooke Rivers who probably
will be able to help you in this regard.  The pool is being enjoyed by many.
I wish safe travel and an excellent NFB convention participation for all
South Carolina delegates.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #11:  1970 -
General Appropriations Bill - reflects a provision which prevents any funds
appropriated for cash assistance to the needy blind from being diverted for
any other use.