[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1542

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 2 16:45:10 UTC 2016

March 2, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              At the December NFB of SC state board meeting I suggested to
the Board we investigate the possibility of holding the 2016 State
Convention in Myrtle Beach during the Fall.  During the time between the
December Board meeting and the Statewide Seminar, I contacted the Myrtle
Beach Chamber of Commerce and I was able to receive six proposals for
potential hotel sites for our convention.  I was able to identify four
hotels which best suited our needs.  On February 3, Shelley and I traveled
to Myrtle Beach and spent two days visiting each hotel site.  When
determining a potential hotel site, many factors need to be considered such
as, room rates, block of rooms, size, meeting space availability, the
ability to serve a plated luncheon and banquet, just to name a few.  After
much thought and consideration I am pleased to announce a contract has been
signed to hold the 2016 State Convention at the Ocean Dunes Hotel in Myrtle
Beach the weekend of October 28-30.  Room rates for this year's convention
are very affordable.  The price of rooms including taxes are $87 per night
for ocean view and $99 per night ocean front and can accommodate up to four
in a room.  These room rates will be available three days before or three
days after the convention.  Amenities include in-room safes, refrigerators,
microwaves, coffee pots, irons, ironing boards, hair dryers, electronic door
locks, wireless Internet connections, and telephones with voice mail in all
sleeping rooms.  I will let you know when you can start making room
reservations.  This is the first time the NFB of SC has ever held its state
convention in Myrtle Beach and it is the first time we have ever held our
convention in October.  The 2016 NFB of SC State convention promises to be
exciting and informative as well as fun and I hope you will make plans to be
there!

              Debra Canty, Second Vice President of the NFB of SC and
President of the Sumter Chapter, has the following announcement:
"Congratulations to Tim Reed!!!

              Timothy is an employee with the Industries for the Blind in
Winston-Salem, North Carolina and he is a member of the Sumter Chapter of
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina.  He was awarded a
certificate for EMPLOYEE of the MONTH for February-2016!!!  Kudos to Timothy
Reed, Sr.  Tim, continue to live the life you want, because, blindness is
not what holds you back!"

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              I want to share with you some things I learned when I attended
my first NFB convention in San Francisco in 1956.  It was necessary for my
employer, Colonial Life to give me sufficient time off to attend the
convention and this required me to be away from my office for three weeks.
It took us a week to drive across the country as the speed limit in those
days was 50 mph.  It was very hot traveling through the desert.  As a new
state President in 1956, this was when NFB President Dr. tenBroek gave his
unforgettable Banquet speech, "Within for the Grace of God."  I was invited
to attend a week long seminar given by Dr. tenBroek after the convention.
Many laws affecting the blind were discussed.  I recall I was stunned at the
number of unemployed blind persons and that the blind in my state were
receiving less than $30 a month of SSI.  During the convention fundraising
principles were discussed.  It was then I learned about White Cane Week
which was held the week of May 15 to 21 inclusive.

              Our first White Cane Week mailing in South Carolina was held
in May of 1957.  White Cane Week was primarily held for fundraising but also
for public education, namely the true nature of blindness - what it is and
what it is not.  I recall White Cane Week was a mailing campaign as well as
appearances with the media.  In addition to the appeal letter, we met with
Governor Timmerman in his State House office for the purpose of securing his
endorsement to give credibility to the program.  We sent out about 1,000
letters which involved the appeal letter, Governor Timmerman's endorsement,
a braille alphabet card, and a return self-addressed envelope.  After
expenses were paid, we received about $1,000 in profits.  It was necessary
to develop a list for the 1,000 recipients.  We were able to secure from the
SC Highway Department names of license holders which featured different
types of vehicles such a "B" for a small car, "C" for a larger car, "D" for
an even larger car, and "E" for the most sophisticated car.  The SC
Secretarial Association agreed to address all the envelopes.  Members came
together to stuff the envelopes, allowing three or four weeks to elapse,
then the state board met to open the returns.  Board members were excited
when a large contribution was announced.  In those days, more than a few
years ago, mail campaigns, if handled with great care, proved to be
beneficial.  However, as the years went by, numerous organizations began to
have these mail campaigns.  Needless to say, the $1,000 we received in our
first White Cane Week campaign was very helpful.  Also, the members who
worked together began to appreciate the importance of teamwork.  For some
tears now we have expanded our fundraising into various different formats,
utilizing today's technologies.  Finally, it is necessary for all of us to
do fundraising if we want to carry on our service to the blind of the state.

Final Thought:  "Friday is John Phillip Sousa Day - March Forth!"