[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1543

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 17:28:24 UTC 2016

March 9, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

OF SOUTH CAROLINA

              You can now begin to make your hotel reservation for the 2016
NFB of SC State Convention which will be held at the Sands Resorts/Ocean
Dunes hotel in North Myrtle Beach October 28-30.  To make your room
reservations call the Sands Resort Central Reservations at 1-800-599-9872
and inform the reservationist you are reserving a room for the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina state convention.

              All reservations must be guaranteed by check or credit card
and received within 5 days of reservation date. Advance deposits will be
credited to the last night's stay as indicated by individual reservation
request.  Room rates for this year's convention are very affordable.  The
price of rooms including taxes are $87 per night for ocean view and $99 per
night ocean front and can accommodate up to four in a room.  These room
rates will be available three days before or three days after the
convention.  Amenities include in-room safes, refrigerators, microwaves,
coffee pots, irons, ironing boards, hair dryers, electronic door locks,
wireless Internet connections, and telephones with voice mail in all
sleeping rooms.  We are expecting a large turnout of our members to attend
the 2016 state convention, so I would encourage you to make your
reservations early.

              It is time for you to preregister online for the 2016 NFB
National Convention in Orlando Florida.  If you preregister prior to May 31,
registration for convention will cost $25 and a banquet ticket will cost
$60.  After May 31, the cost for convention registration will increase to
$30 and the cost of a banquet ticket will increase to $65.  Save $10 and
also skip the need to stand in line for a long period of time at the
convention by purchasing your convention registration and banquet ticket by
the May 31 deadline.

              We have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, President of our
NFB of SC Seniors Division.  "Greetings from our Senior Division of SC.  The
National Seniors Division is resuming our schedule of conference calls again
beginning on March 17 with Shelley Coppel as the moderator.  The topic will
be Losing Vision and Adapting to Life's Changes.  The call will be at 4:00
p.m. eastern time.

              The numbers to dial are the same as last year:  712-432-1500
with access code:  759633pound.  You will then be asked if this is correct
as you hear the access code repeated that you just dialed.  You are prompted
to press (1) if the code is correct.  You then announce yourself by stating
your name, and, you are entered into the conference call.

              If the call is missed, you can listened to it again with a
"playback" number which will be given a few hours after the calls have taken
place. The main playback number is:  712-432-1202.  You will then be asked
to choose from a menu of numbers from 1 to about 13 up to 17 as each call is
put on the list in sequence of dates in which the conference call took
place.

Calls for Spring 2016

              Thursday, March 17, 2016  Losing Vision and Adapting to Life's
Changes moderated by Shelley Coppel, South Carolina.

              Wednesday, April 13, 2016  Churchgoing-Making Everyone more
Comfortable with Our Blindness moderated by Tom Anderson, president of the
national Association of the Blind in Communities of Faith, Kansas.

              Wednesday, May 11, 2016  How To Solve The Little problems in
Your Life When Significant Vision Loss occurs moderated by Jan Bailey,
Minnesota.

              Wednesday, June 8,  2016,  Let's Keep Writing and . Publishing
and More, moderator, from the Writer's Division of the NFB.

              In order to obtain the best possible sound for these calls, it
is recommended that each caller, after dialing in, press star 6 which puts
you in a "mute" mode.  You will be able to hear everything during the call
but background noise from your location will not disturb others listening in
on the conversation.  When you wish to speak and enter the discussion, press
star 6 once again and you will be released from the "mute" mode and able to
participate."

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Tuesday evening we traveled to Williamston to speak to a joint
meeting of the Williamston and Pendleton Lions Clubs.  The dinner meeting
was held in the Williamston City Hall with about 50 Lions present.  Our
thanks to our Advisory Board member Barry Chavis who arranged
transportation.  Diane Ritter President of the Williamston Lions Club
invited me to speak for about 30 minutes about RBRCCB, what funding we
receive and need.  I complimented the Lions as I believe they are the best
civic organization.  I explained my first experience with the Lions Club
many years ago when I was a student at the SC School for the Blind as the
Spartanburg Lions Club, every Christmas, would give each student one gift
and fruit.  I talked about the support we receive from the Lions in the
Upstate including significant financial support by the Salem Lions Club.
Civic organizations are always interested in the origin of RBRCCB.  I
explained in 1958 I paid a claim which we did not technically owe but when I
was hired by Colonial Life several years earlier, I was told to look for as
many ways to pay a claim as we look to decline a claim.  Some weeks later
the policyholder who accepted the voluntary claim payment visited my office
and explained his appreciation for the claim's settlement.  At the same time
he extended an invitation to me and my wife to spend the weekend in Rocky
Bottom in his mountain cabin.  I declined but he secured the permission of
Colonial's President and this was in fact the one incident that led to the
origin of RBRCCB.  I covered the programs of RBRCCB with emphasis on Senior
Camp for two weeks and Summer Camp for blind children.  The financial
operation was discussed including giving interest to our efforts to generate
as much self-support as possible including the $35,000 received in 2015 for
rental income.  I stated that we are proud of our financial progress
including the assistance from the blind themselves.; but emphasized we also
need support from the private sector.  There were about 50 Lions in
attendance from the two clubs and Barry stated that the gathering was very
attentive throughout my presentation and I could of course sense their
attention as well.  I accepted this invitation even though it was strenuous
as I am hopeful my presentation will lead to more Lions support.  Finally I
want to express my sincere regret to RBRCCB Advisory Board member Phil
Marett for a fire which destroyed his house.  He is building another house
exactly where the old house stood.

Final Thought:  "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you
everywhere." -  Albert Einstein