[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1545

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 23 12:36:35 UTC 2016

March 23, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              For the past three weekends Shelley and I have been spending a
great deal of time traveling throughout the NFB of SC.  On March 5, Shelley
and I traveled to Anderson where we participated in an Upstate seminar
sponsored by the Anderson Chapter.  Dean Marchbanks, the new President of
the Chapter, did an excellent job putting the seminar together.  Thirty-four
individuals representing four chapters (Anderson, Greenville, Greenwood, and
Cherokee) attended the daylong seminar.  During the morning session, Shelley
and I discussed with the group the history and the purpose of the NFB and
the NFB of SC.  We also discussed the importance of chapter growth and
development.  After lunch, David Bundy led the afternoon session
demonstrating a variety of assistive technology.  As I wrote in last week's
Positive Note, on March 12, Shelley and I traveled to Bishopville where we
participated in the Black and White Banquet sponsored by the Lee County
Chapter.  This past Saturday, March 19, Shelley and I traveled to the town
of Lancaster where we attended the second annual Spring Banquet of the
Lancaster County Chapter.  It was good to see and speak with Daisy
Drakeford, Chapter President, and others at the banquet.  It was also good
to visit with Jennifer Duffell-Hoffman, who is the Coordinator of the NFB of
SC's BELL Academy and along with her family are members of the Lancaster
County chapter.  Finally, March 27, is Easter Sunday and Shelley and I would
like to take this time to wish all of you a very happy and blessed holiday.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              I believe all of you would agree that my long career in work
with the blind includes beneficial experiences.  Since we're in the "BBQ
season," the funds raised are determined by working together to sell as many
tickets as possible.  I wouldn't ask you to do anything I wouldn't do.  For
about 40 years between the late 1950's and the late 1990's, I canvassed all
three nights as the canvas is very worthwhile.  The following are some
things which may assist you.  On a good three nights of canvassing over 600
tickets can be sold and hundreds of dollars in contributions can be made.
In the late 1950's Betty put together a list of desirable streets to work
our canvas.  Most streets are located near the Federation Center which is a
beacon for this annual event.  In more recent years Frank Coppel and David
Houck have done the street assignments.  Members canvassing board the van at
the Federation Center and are dropped off at the street where the member
will be canvassing.  The Center's neighborhood supports the canvas and is
very nice to our people.  Boy Scouts accompany the canvassers and are
wonderful.  Only rarely has a member strayed from their assigned street but
they are always found.  When I was canvassing there was a lady that I always
seemed to call on and invariably she would say, "It's that time of year
again!"  She bought tickets.  Since Yale Avenue runs down by the Center, it
is a long walk, and as long as I was able to do so, I canvased Yale.
Sometimes I could sell as many as 40 tickets on Yale Avenue.  Speaking of
Boy Scouts, the first Troop from my church, Kilbourne Park Baptist Church,
served as guides in the late 1950's.  I can't recall the Scouts ever causing
injury to a canvasser as their service was valuable.  The late Mr. M. B.
"Red" Shaw secured Boy Scouts for several decades for the canvassing.  Red
also helped with the canvassers by riding on the van and helping to keep up
with the different streets used by canvassers.  Red was a wonderful person
and we miss him.  We miss many federationists identified with the canvas
including Edsel Doyle.  Edsel always worked Kilbourne Road and he talked to
many residents and Edsel was good at starting up an interesting
conversation.  The Center plays a very important role in the canvas and is
utilized for the food service after the canvas.    Members are good about
sponsoring the "canvas events."  I appreciate your traveling down memory
lane with me as I treasure the experience.

Final Thought:  "On Palm Sunday they wanted to crown Him King, a few days
later they were ready to crucify Him, and on Easter Sunday He arose from the
dead, paying for our sins and sitting at the right hand of the Throne of
God!"