[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1554

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed May 25 13:44:32 UTC 2016

May 25, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Hello from RBRCCB where the 2016 Spring session of Senior Camp
is in full swing.  Twenty-five seniors arrived from across the state on
Sunday afternoon.  The weather this week has been perfect and the seniors
have enjoyed activities such as BINGO, group discussions and visiting with
each other on the deck of the Conference Center.  As usual, Lenora Robertson
and her "food crew" have done an outstanding job and we're all gaining a lot
of weight.

              There are just a few days remaining to preregister online for
the 2016 NFB National Convention in Orlando Florida.  If you preregister
prior to May 31, registration for convention will cost $25 and a banquet
ticket will cost $60.  After May 31, the cost for convention registration
will increase to $30 and the cost of a banquet ticket will increase to $65.
Save $10 and also skip the need to stand in line for a long period of time
at the convention by purchasing your convention registration and banquet
ticket by the May 31 deadline.

              Also, if you have not done so already, please make your hotel
reservations for the 2016 NFB National Convention in Orlando Florida.  The
date of this year's national convention will be June 30, to July 5, 2016 and
will be held at the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort.  The 2016 room rates are
singles and doubles, $83; and triples and quads, $89. In addition to the
room rates there will be a tax, which at present is 12.5 percent. No charge
will be made for children under seventeen in the room with parents as long
as no extra bed is requested. Please note that the hotel is a no-smoking
facility.  For 2016 convention room reservations you can call the hotel at
(866) 996-6338.  You may also write directly to the Rosen Shingle Creek,
9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. The hotel will want a
deposit of $95 for each room and will want a credit card number or a
personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged
against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a $95 check.

              Finally, I'm saddened to report that our federation family had
two members to pass away during the past couple of weeks.  About two weeks
ago, Mr. John Grubbs, an associate member of the Barnwell Chapter, passed
away due to cancer.  This past week Nancy Gibson, a longtime federationist
and member of our Clarendon Chapter, died in an automobile accident.  Let's
keep both of these families in our thoughts and prayers.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              The Federation Center of the Blind hosts a very important
function which is enjoyed by all.  I'm speaking of the free BINGO program
which is held at the Federation Center the third Thursday evening in
February, May, August and November.  About 50 members of the Columbia
Chapter participate in this enjoyable event.  The Telephone Pioneers sponsor
this much appreciated event.  The Telephone Pioneers call out the numbers,
use their volunteers to help those having trouble reading their cards, and
give out $3 prizes for regular BINGO and $15 for the cover all at the end.
We use both large print and Braille BINGO cards.  I'm informed that many of
our members would go the extra mile to keep from missing out on any BUINGO
occasion.  We certainly appreciate the Telephone Pioneers for their
extensive participation in BINGO.  They have been sponsoring this activity
for several decades.  This is one of the best established activities at the
Federation Center.  There's absolutely no cost to the members who
participate.  Chapters across the state may wish to consider a BINGO
program.

              The Columbia Chapter will be spending Memorial Day weekend at
RBRCCB.  A good turnout is expected.  This will be the busiest year RBRCCB
has experienced as reservations are booked solid.  This is a time when our
Resident Manager Brooke Rivers will be busier than ever, assuming numerous
responsibilities.  It will also be necessary to acquire some help so that
Brooke can carry out her duties in a manner appreciated by all of us.    Our
thoughts are with the senior blind who are at RBRCCB this week.
Incidentally, these special people come from all parts of the state.
Throughout the years there have been senior blind who have never been to the
mountains which is a real experience and treat.  RBRCCB is pleased to
collaborate with the Commission for the Blind in making this special program
possible.  Frank Coppel is the longtime Director of the Senior Blind and
does an excellent job.

              Kudos to Marshall Tucker who has made a second contribution of
$100 to the Lawton Memorial piano fund.  Marshall, we are very grateful for
your generosity.  The gentleman who repaired and tuned the fine piano in
Lawton Hall for a price of $675 also tuned the piano in the Dining Hall of
the Conference Center at no extra charge.  Thus, both of these Baldwin
pianos are in excellent working order.  We invite those of you across the
state to help with a contribution to cover the remaining amount of $475.
Our program at RBRCCB needs good pianos and we are now proud of both of
these RBRCCB pianos.

              We are sorry to hear of the death of Nancy Gibson who had been
a vendor for some time.  We convey our deepest sympathy to her survivors.
Nancy was a faithful federationist and a member of the Clarendon County
Chapter.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #3, 4 & 5.
1960 - General Appropriations Bill - $25,000 increase in cash assistance to
the needy blind in South Carolina, 1961 - General Appropriations Bill -
$50,000 increase in cash assistance to the needy blind and 1964 - General
Appropriations Bill - $25,000 increase in cash assistance to the needy
blind. (State assistance to the impoverished blind was dismal in these early
days)