[Nfbofsc] {Spam?} Positive Note 1577

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Nov 2 18:22:29 UTC 2016

November 2, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

            This past weekend, the sixtieth annual State Convention of the
NFB of SC was held for the first time in Myrtle Beach and from all
indications it was very successful.  175 individuals attended this year's
convention which began Friday afternoon with an outstanding BELL X workshop
sponsored by the NFB of SC BELL Academy and other division and committee
meetings.  Many thanks go to Tiffiny Mitchell, President of the Columbia
Chapter and her team who got the festivities off to a resounding start
Friday evening with a wonderful reception.  This year we were honored to
have Jeanie Massay, Treasurer of the National Federation of the Blind, as
our National Representative for the convention.  Mrs. Massay gave a thorough
National Report and her Banquet Speech Saturday evening was outstanding.
The NFB of SC recognized Dorcas Campbell of the Chesterfield County Chapter,
as the recipient of the Donald C. Capps Award and John Nelson of Columbia as
the recipient of the Associate Member of the Year Award.  Another highlight
of the banquet was the awarding of scholarships totaling $5,350 to three
outstanding college students.  I also like to thank the membership of the
NFB of SC for their awesome generosity which was demonstrated during the
Banquet fundraiser.  We were able to quickly raise $7,410 which will be
divided equally between the NFB of SC and the Federation Center.  Elections
were held Sunday morning and the following individuals were elected as
officers unanimously; President, Frank Coppel, 1st Vice President, Lenora
Robertson, 2nd Vice President, Debra Canty, Secretary, Dorothy Barksdale,
and Treasurer, Valerie Warrington.  Individuals elected unanimously to five
board positions were; district two, Shannon Cook, of Columbia, district
four, J.W. Smith of Greenville, district six, Ronald Benjamin of Florence,
and Members-at-large Jamie  Allison of Cherokee and Loretta Green of Upper
Dorchester.  As all of you know, many details need to be considered when
planning and presiding over a state convention.  This was a learning
experience for me and I would like to especially thank David Houck who
assisted me a great deal by answering many questions I had regarding the
convention.  David also did a great job coordinating registration, the
exhibit hall, and taking care of many other details of the convention.

            The National Federation of the Blind will be hosting an Election
Day hotline for blind and visually impaired voters, poll workers, and voting
rights advocates to call when problems with accessible voting technology or
other barriers are preventing a blind voter from casting a private and
independent ballot. The hotline will be available November 8, 2016, from
7:00 a.m. Eastern to 10:00 p.m. Eastern (7:00 p.m. Pacific). The number is
(877) 632-1940.

            I am very sad to report the death of Furman Dean Marchbanks who
passed away at his home on Monday morning, October 31.  Dean was doing an
outstanding job as President of the Anderson Chapter prior to becoming
seriously ill a few months ago.  His energy and enthusiasm for the NFB will
be greatly missed.  We all need to keep his family and the Anderson Chapter
in our thoughts and prayers.

            The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not
the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

            Congratulations to all of the officers of the NFB of SC who were
unanimously elected at last weekend's convention.  Also, congratulations to
the board members elected.  It is apparent from President Coppel's part of
the Positive Note that the convention was very successful.  I'm impressed
with the 175 persons attending the convention as this is a significant
increase over recent years.     I couldn't be happier to learn that Dorcas
Campbell was the recipient of the Donald C. Capps Award.  She is very
deserving and an outstanding lady.  Also, I want to congratulate Jon Nelson
who was the recipient of the Associate Member of the Year Award.  Jon is one
of several Nelson family members who are rendering outstanding service to
the federation.

            Several days before the convention I had a wonderful meeting
with President Coppel about my future.  The topic of our meeting was
primarily for me to cover with Frank my wishes for the future with respect
to my involvement with RBRCCB.  I suggested to Frank that I would appreciate
the RBRCCB board electing Frank as Chairman of the Board of Directors
replacing me, but that I would continue as Chairman Emeritus which would
give me some official standing.  Frank was also agreeable for us to continue
utilizing the apartment but at the same time I will be working closely with
Frank on this matter as well.  I think the election of Ed Bible to fill my
position on the board was a wise decision.  Frank and Ed work closely
together.  Also, there will need to be a transition period as Frank Coppel
and I will work closely together to carry out the operation of RBRCCB.
There will be no interruption in the day to day operation of RBRCCB with
Brooke Rivers working closely with Frank and myself.

            I hesitate to mention this as humility is far more important
than arrogance but since I am stepping down as board Chairman I want to
warmly thank all of you across the state who referred to the apartment in
the Conference Center as "the Capps apartment," especially since I did not
create that name.  Also, the action the board took in Myrtle Beach will make
Betty very happy, especially since she decorated the Capps apartment.
Congratulations to Cheryl Mott-Sims from the Lee County Chapter who won the
Fun Day TV set auction at the convention with the winning bid of $200.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #35:  2001 -
Concurrent Resolution commending Donald C. Capps upon his being conferred an
honorary Doctorate in the area of Public Service from the University of
South Carolina - Spartanburg