[Nfbofsc] FW: PRESS RELEASE: CFTB receives first ever grant to provide computers to persons on SSDI and/or SSI and to parents of children w/visual impairments!

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Thu Nov 10 13:28:51 UTC 2016

fyi

From: Ed Bible [mailto:EBIBLE at sccb.sc.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 4:28 PM
To: 'nfbsc at sc.rr.com'; 'frankcoppel at att.net'; 'jhipp25 at sc.rr.com'
Subject: FW: PRESS RELEASE: CFTB receives first ever grant to provide
computers to persons on SSDI and/or SSI and to parents of children w/visual
impairments!

Please share far and wide!Subject: FW: PRESS RELEASE: CFTB receives first
ever grant to provide computers to persons on SSDI and/or SSI and to parents
of children w/visual impairments!

Please share widely with staff and consumer organizations, and parents of
children with visual impairments and their support groups such as NAPVI and
statewide chapters of NAPVI.

1.	Consumers who are on SSDI and/or SSDI can receive a desktop computer
package (desktop computer, flat screen monitor, and peripherals') for $50 or
a laptop for $70. Award letter from SSA required.
2.	Parents of a child with a visual impairment may receive a desktop
computer package (desktop computer, flat screen monitor, and peripherals')
for $50 or a laptop for $70. A letter of recommendation from the student's
Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI) is required. The letter needs to
indicate that obtaining a computer at our standard price of $110 would
create a financial burden on the family. No other financial information
needed. The TVI also needs to indicate that the student needs a computer and
is capable of benefiting from the computer.  Note: We have discovered that a
child who can press the space bar may be able use a computer with proper
training, special software, and USB connections. See attached.

NOTE: Go to CFTB website to see what we provide.
<http://computersfortheblind.net/weprovide.html>  All computers have a 2
year warranty. Purchase orders not accepted for this grant. CFTB does not
recommend and rarely approves a laptop computer for persons who use MAGic
screen magnification as the laptop screen is not large enough. CFTB now
accepts credit and debit cards or Pay-Pal. Talking Typing Teacher is
available from MarvelSoft for $10 through this grant.  It is 90% off of
retail and is highly recommended for all users!

For additional information or to please an order contact:

Customer service: 214-340-6328, leave one message only. Staff will get back
to you within two business days.

 <mailto:info at computersfortheblind.net> info at computersfortheblind.net

 <http://www.computersfortheblind.net/> www.computersfortheblind.net

Like us on Facebook  <https://www.facebook.com/ComputerfortheBlind/>
https://www.facebook.com/ComputerfortheBlind/

David Jeppson - Executive Director

*Please note* My email address has changed. Please be sure to update your
contact information with my new email address.

Cataracts are among the leading causes of vision loss worldwide; they are
usually treatable. Has an ophthalmologist diagnosed you or a loved one with
cataracts? Do you need cataract surgery but can't afford the cost? If you're
a SC resident and U.S. citizen not covered by Medicare, Medicaid or other
insurance; and have cataracts in both eyes, we at the SC Commission for the
Blind may be able to help. Give us a call at 888.335.5951 or find us online
at www.sccb.state.sc.us