[Nfbofsc] {Spam?} Positive Note 1573

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 12:40:46 UTC 2016

October 5, 2016

Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter &Division Presidents &
Others

From:  Frank Coppel, President

            Anticipation and excitement is beginning to build as we move
closer to the start of the 2016 NFB of SC State Convention which will be
held October 28-30 at the Sands Resort/Ocean Dunes Hotel in Myrtle Beach.
We are currently finalizing the agenda for the weekend, as well as
finalizing many other details which will insure us to have a successful
convention.  Along with the usual division and committee meetings which are
held on Friday, we are also holding a BELL X work shop and a drop-in for
Chapter Presidents.  Both of these activities will begin at 2:00 and
conclude at 3:30 p.m.  Remember, we are planning a "Beach Party" for our
Friday evening reception.  So bring your dancing shoes and let's "shag on
the beach"!  Saturday plans to be a very busy day filled with a variety of
informative and interesting agenda items.  The theme for the convention this
year is "Raising Expectations".  To emphasize this theme, the NFB of SC will
be selling t-shirts with the phrase "Raising Expectations" written in both
Braille and print on the back of the shirt.  The t-shirts were designed by
our own Jamie Allison and I am told they look very sharp.  The t-shirts will
sell for $13 or $15 depending on the size of the shirt.  Also, we will be
conducting our annual banquet fundraiser Saturday evening, October29, to
help fund the Federation Center and the NFB of SC.  We need individuals as
well as chapters to contribute during the banquet to these two extremely
important programs.  As you can see, the 2016 NFB of SC State Convention is
a convention you do not want to miss.  It is not too late to make hotel
reservations for the state convention.  However, I strongly suggest you do
so immediately by calling the Sands Resort Central Reservations at
1-800-599-9872 and inform the reservationist you are reserving a room for
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina state convention.
All reservations must be guaranteed by check or credit card and received
within 5 days of reservation date. Advance deposits will be credited to the
last night's stay as indicated by individual reservation request.  Room
rates for this year's convention are very affordable.  I am being told by
the hotel that there are plenty of ocean view rooms for $87 per night
including tax, however, ocean front rooms for $99 per night including tax
are becoming limited.

            As we have announced in the past two Positive Notes, we are
extending the deadline to receive the $70 preregistration for the State
Convention until October 14.  The $70 preregistration for the convention
will cover the Friday evening reception, the Saturday luncheon and the
Saturday evening banquet as well as a continental breakfast Saturday and
Sunday morning.  After October 14, the registration will increase to $85.
The 2016 State Convention will be historic as this is our sixtieth annual
convention and the first time this event is being held at Myrtle Beach.
With many exciting activities being planned for the convention, we need to
continue to encourage more of our members to come and participate in this
convention which promises to be one of the best ever!

            Debra Canty, President of our Sumter Chapter and second Vice
President of the NFB of SC who reports, "Kudos to Laura Skelton, Chairperson
of the fair booth.The Sumter Chapter observed October as Blind Awareness
month at the Sumter County fair.  Our exhibition booth theme was "Do you see
as well as you used to?"  With tips to improved "seeing" with the sight that
you have, like bringing in natural light and experiment with different types
of lighting, use magnifiers or products with magnified markings, explore
color and contrast to allow items to pop, and "see" with other senses.   We
extended the hand of friendship, the sense you are not alone, you can do
this with bags of a Kernel book, NFB literature, candy and our local
information.  We raised over $300.00; way to go Sumter chapter!  Mega thanks
to Laura and her team of volunteers who made this happened in the community
at the fair!

            The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not
the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

            The Columbia Chapter spent last weekend at RBRCCB.  The members
enjoyed private bedrooms and private bathrooms.  This was not the case 50
years ago when the Columbia Chapter first visited RBRCBB in 1962.  Our
Columbia members last weekend enjoyed air conditioning.  This was not the
case 50 years ago.  However, the weather during the Labor Day weekend seemed
much cooler than it has been in recent years and air conditioning was not
needed.  The Columbia Chapter had the benefit of a modern public kitchen and
dining room over the weekend.  This was not the case 50 years ago.  A
telephone was available for the benefit of the members last weekend but
there was no telephone from 1962 to 1966 when the Columbia Chapter first
attended RBRCCB.  All of us at that time enjoyed going to the old chapel for
group singing despite the windows being covered with chicken wire and the
tin top roof had holes.  From 1962 to 1966 there was a dormitory building
standing where the Conference Center now exists.  This building was just
before the old 4-H Camp - the first in the nation - was closed by the
Pickens County Health Department in 1966 because of an inadequate water
system.  The camp remained closed for a dozen years until 1978 when we were
successful in having Pickens County Council turn the property over to the
NFB of SC.  We have made good on our promise to Pickens County Council to
develop this program for the state's blind.  You can imagine that there are
only a handful of people still alive who attended that first 1962 visit to
RBRCCB.  Where the Conference Center now stands there was also a building
containing a primitive kitchen and dining area.  There were no windows in
either the dormitory or kitchen buildings.  Instead there was chicken wire
in the dining building but just open windows in the dormitory building.
There were separate areas for the ladies and the gentlemen but the separate
bathroom facilities were not completely closed in and privacy was
compromised.  The dormitory building had benches across the porch area and
we enjoyed chatting with each other while utilizing the benches.  I have
fond memories of the half dozen years being in Rocky Bottom in the very
early days despite the difficulties which existed just before the buildings
were dismantled.  Between 1967 and 1977 Columbia members utilized the Eva
Goode Camp locate a few miles from Greenville and Caesar's Head.  Even
though we "roughed it" in the beginning and for some time thereafter, I'm
glad we had the experience.  We are sorry to report that our Resident
Manager Brooke Rivers experienced an attack of kidney stones over the
weekend.  Let's keep Brooke in our thoughts and prayers.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #27:  1994 -
General Assembly celebrates the 50th anniversary of the NFB of SC by
declaring August 4, 1994 as "National Federation of the Blind of South
Carolina Day."  #28:  1994 - SC Governor Carroll A. Campbell, Jr. celebrates
the 50th anniversary of the NFB of SC by proclaiming August 4, 1994 as
"National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina Day." & President
Clinton also congratulates NFB of SC on its 50th anniversary.