[Nfbofsc] FW: White Cane Safety Day Proclamation

Steve Cook STCook at sccb.sc.gov
Tue Oct 11 13:25:25 UTC 2016

Below is the text from the PDF file that was attached for screen readers.

WHEREAS, the white cane is a simple yet effective tool of independence that contributes to the self-sufficiency of the blind and visually impaired by allowing them to navigate through their environment safely, avoiding physical barriers and hazards; and

  WHEREAS, the white cane is a symbol of dignity and determination as well as a tangible reminder that individuals with impaired eyesight are able to go, to move, to be, and to compete with all others in society and to lead full, independent, and productive lives; and

  WHEREAS, established by the National Federation of the Blind, the annual observance of "White Cane Safety Day" emphasizes the need for all Americans to be aware of the presence of disabled persons in our communities and to work together to keep the streets, highways, sidewalks, walkways, public buildings and facilities, and places of public accommodation, amusement, and resort safe and functional for the disabled; and

  WHEREAS, the 2016 observance of "White Cane Safety Day" provides an opportunity for people across the Palmetto State and the nation to renew their dedication to eliminating barriers for the blind and visually impaired.

  NOW, THEREFORE, I, Nikki R. Haley, Governor of the great State of South Carolina, do hereby proclaim October 15, 2016, as

WHITE CANE SAFETY DAY

throughout the state and encourage all South Carolinians to show respect for those who carry the white cane, to honor their many achievements, and to reaffirm our commitment to improving access to basic services for blind and visually impaired persons.

Nimu R. HALEY

  GOVERNOR

STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA

Steve Cook, CPM