[Nfbofsc] {Spam?} Positive Note 1576

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Mon Oct 24 17:04:13 UTC 2016

October 24, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

            On Thursday and Friday of this week many of us will be traveling
to Myrtle Beach to attend the sixtieth annual State Convention of the NFB of
SC.  The State Office has been extremely busy this past week producing print
and Braille agendas, Braille menus, name tags, and handling many other
details for the convention.  If you want a sneak preview of the agenda, it
has been posted on the NFB of SC list serve, web site, and Newsline.  The
theme for the convention this year is "Raising Expectations".  To promote
this theme, the NFB of SC will be selling t-shirts which will have the NFB
logo imposed on a beach scene on the front of the shirt and with the phrase
"Raising Expectations" written in both Braille and print on the back.  The
t-shirts were designed by our own Jamie Allison.  The t-shirts will sell for
$13 or $15 depending on the size of the shirt.  Also, we will be conducting
our annual banquet fundraiser Saturday evening, October 29, to help fund the
Federation Center and the NFB of SC.  We need individuals as well as
chapters to step up and contribute during the banquet to these two extremely
important programs.  We will have door prize drawings throughout the
convention as usual. Of course, Lenora Robertson of Rock Hill is the
Chairperson of the Door Prize Committee.  All door prizes should be given to
Lenora soon after you arrive to the State Convention.  As in past years, we
will be conducting a memorial service 8:30 Sunday Morning of the Convention.
Please give Patsy and Douglas Roberts the names of those individuals in your
chapter who have passed away since last year's state convention.

            We have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, President of the
Senior Division.  "The Senior Division is sponsoring a drawing to be held on
Sunday morning of our State Convention.  We are offering three prizes: a
beautiful afghan made by Emily McKenzie, an electric can opener, and a $25
gift certificate to Walmart.  Tickets are selling for $2 for one ticket or
$5 for three tickets.  Please help us to raise funds for our seniors!"

            We have an announcement from Linda Dizzley, President of the Lee
County Chapter.  "Chocolate Lovers, the Lee County Chapter of the National
Federation of the Blind will be selling delicious, Edible Chocolate High
Heel Shoes, Cowboy Boots,  Roses, Chocolate Covered Pretzels and much more
in milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate or any color you wish,
solid, crunch or with nuts.  You may place your order in advance by calling
803 459-4585.   All $10.00 purchases will automatically be placed in a
special raffle drawing.  Stop by the Lee County Chapter table."

            The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not
the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

            Much anticipation and excitement concerning the 60th annual
state convention of the NFB of SC is apparent.  I have had the privilege of
reading the convention agenda and I'm impressed with the program.  In my
long career I've had many interesting experiences involving conventions.  In
this Positive Note I'm sharing with you briefly an unforgettable experience
in two different conventions - one in the NFB of SC and the other convention
being out of state.

            Some 50 years ago the NFB of SC convention was held in
Charleston in what was then the Francis Marion Hotel.  Dr. Jacobus tenBroek,
NFB Founder, was scheduled to be at the convention to give the Banquet
address.  However, during the convention I received a call from Dr. tenBroek
stating that he would be unable to be present as the plane he was traveling
in had experienced mechanical difficulty, grounding him in Virginia.  I
immediately recognized that I'd better find time to rehearse an out of state
banquet speech that would be suitable for a convention.  The speech involved
the power of love.  I pointed out the NFB of SC Founder Dr. Samuel Miller
Lawton gave much of his time to the NFB of SC although he was a busy
minister as he loved his fellow blind.  I stated that the Red Cross
demonstrated love every day by working with persons in distress.  After the
banquet Senator John D. Long of Union who had been honored earlier during
the banquet, was very complimentary.

            In 1960 I was the national representative to the Tennessee
convention in Knoxville.  The NFB had just gone through a very difficult
convention and Tennessee was one of the state affiliates which declined to
sign the resolution requiring cooperation with the national organization.
Also, without any prior knowledge I learned that there were two out of state
former federation members who were there to cause trouble.  Both had been on
the national board and they were there to attack Dr. tenBroek.  I challenged
them, pointing out that they were not present to contribute in a wholesome
way to the Tennessee convention but were there to create as much trouble as
possible.  The Tennessee affiliate because of the unrest was seriously
weakened.  However, it ultimately regained its strength.

            In reading the August/September edition of the Braille Monitor,
I note that the Tennessee affiliate now has a board member on the national
Board of Directors, this being James Brown.  Also, I attended subsequent
Tennessee conventions and spent time in the state recruiting new members.

            I believe I benefitted and was made stronger from the convention
in Charleston and the Knoxville convention, although at that time it was
challenging.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #34.  2001 -
The NFB of SC fought to reduce a 17% budget cut to a 9% cut, saving the
Commission for the Blind $300,000.