[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1569

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 7 12:39:29 UTC 2016

September 7, 2016

Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter &Division Presidents &
Others

From:  Frank Coppel, President

            I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who came
and participated in the Fun Day Festival held at Rocky Bottom this past
Labor Day weekend.  Although the turnout was not as great as we had hoped
for, everyone appeared to have a great time enjoying each other's company
and raising money for Rocky Bottom.  Special thanks go to Lenora Robertson
and her "Food Crew" for preparing outstanding meals throughout the weekend.
Also, many thanks go to Valerie and Larry Warrington, Libby Farr, Alma Lee
Doyle, David and Darleen Houck, Brooke Rivers, and Shelley Coppel for their
assistance throughout the weekend as well as Jeff Baser who did a great job
handling the duties of auctioneer.  RBRCCB is an extremely important and
vital program of the NFB of SC and all of us as members need to work
diligently and creatively in the years to come to increase the amount of
monies raised during the Fun Day Festival.

            Only seven weeks remain until the 2016 NFB of SC State
Convention begins!  The convention will be held the weekend of October 28-30
at the Sands Resort/Ocean Dunes Hotel in Myrtle Beach.  I would suggest if
you have not made your room reservation as yet you may want to do so by
calling the Sands Resort Central Reservations at 1-800-599-9872 and inform
the reservationist you are reserving a room for the National Federation of
the Blind of South Carolina state convention.  All reservations must be
guaranteed by check or credit card and received within 5 days of reservation
date. Advance deposits will be credited to the last night's stay as
indicated by individual reservation request.  Room rates for this year's
convention are very affordable.  The price of rooms including taxes is $87
per night for ocean view and $99 per night ocean front and can accommodate
up to four in a room.  Amenities include in-room safes, refrigerators,
microwaves, coffee pots, irons, ironing boards, hair dryers, electronic door
locks, wireless Internet connections, and telephones with voice mail in all
sleeping rooms.    Also, only two weeks remain to send in your $70
convention preregistration to the Federation Center.  The $70
preregistration for the convention will cover the Friday evening reception,
the Saturday luncheon and the Saturday evening banquet as well as a
continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning.  After Friday, September
23, the registration will increase to $85.

            Jamie Allison, Chairperson of the Youth Recruitment Committee,
has the following announcement; "Calling all Young People!  Do you play a
musical instrument, act, write poems or short stories, sing, or dance? Are
you attending the NFB of SC State Convention in Myrtle Beach on October
28-30th? Do you have a talent that you like to show off to larger groups? We
invite youth up to age 25 to participate in the first ever NFB of SC 2016
Youth Talent Showcase! In order to participate, you must be present for the
entire Saturday session and the banquet that evening, as participants will
be called randomly throughout the day to present their talent to the
audience. At the banquet, the audience will decide the winners by way of
applause/crowd participation. Your talent act can include almost any type of
performing art, poetry reading, dance or demonstrations of gymnastics,
martial arts, or some other physical skill. If your talent act is more
visual, we do ask that you have someone present who can be an audio
describer for the benefit of the blind persons in the audience. Your act may
not be longer than five minutes, and the content or lyrics must be deemed
appropriate for a general audience comprised of individuals of all ages and
backgrounds. In order to participate, you need to sign up by either texting
or emailing Jamie Allison at 864-838-0338 or jrallison410 at gmail.com or
Loretta Green at 843-563-3956 or l.k.green66 at gmail.com with your name, title
of your talent act, song, etc. and the length of your presentation. The
deadline for signing up is Friday, October 14th. There will be small-value
prizes for winners and goody bags for participants. Hope to see you there!"

            The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not
the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

            The 2016 Labor Day Fun Day Festival was a good success.  Our
profits this year were more than $1,238 greater than in 2015.  This year's
profit was $7,549 as the 2015 profit was $6,310.40.  I'm grateful to all of
you who helped to make this year's Fun Day a good success.  While there were
a few members who cancelled during the last week, there were some 45 members
present.  The participation was statewide with Alma Lee Doyle and Pat and
Donnie Mincey from Loris and Loretta and Henry Green from Upper Dorchester
who drove a great distance even in a tropical storm to be part of our annual
Fun Day.  The following is a breakdown of the proceeds which also involves
proceeds of 2015 which gives us information as to the more than $1,200
profit this year:  Fun Day tickets $3,560 and $1,920 in 2015; Auction $1,350
and $877 in 2015; Weekend Food $1,180 and $1,120 in 2015; Labor Day Food
sales $390 and $371 in 2015; T-shirt sales, etc. $242 and $130 in 2015; Yard
Sale $159 and $43 in 2015; Old Country Store $37 and $89.40 in 2015; BINGO
$93 and $60 in 2015; Food Donations $320 and $500 in 2015; Neal McJunkin
Benefit Concert $130; and Other Donations $88 in 2016 and $1,200 in 2015.
Our thanks to our granddaughter Laura Setters and her family for making an
$88 contribution to RBRCCB in honor of my 88th birthday.  You will note
there was an increase in just about every category.  Throughout the years
Blue Ridge Electric has been good about providing a TV for the auction.
About the middle of last week we were informed that once again Blue Ridge
Electric would contribute a 42 inch flat screen TV and it would be delivered
on Friday, September 2 but this did not happen.  However, I got a telephone
call this Tuesday morning from a Blue Ridge Electric official who profusely
apologized for failure to deliver the TV.  He stated he had the TV to be
delivered on Friday but explained that he got very busy and simply forgot to
make the delivery.  He could not have been more gracious and stated he would
make the delivery this Tuesday.  It was decided by the gathering that the TV
would be auctioned off during the state convention in Myrtle Beach.
Incidentally, the 42inch flat screen TV has been delivered to us at Rocky
Bottom.  Our thanks to state President Frank Coppel for his assistance.
This will add to the auction proceeds as well as to the total profits.  We
cannot recognize each and every member who helped, however, here is some
information you will enjoy reading.  The following are the Fun Day ticket
winners:  Oueeny Smith is the 8 year old granddaughter of Roy and Josephine
Smith, President of our Charleston Chapter.  Queeny won the $500 as the
purchaser and Roy Smith won $50 as the seller of the winning ticket.  The
Columbia Chapter sold 174 Fun Day tickets and won the $300 for their
chapter's treasury.  The Loris Chapter placed second, selling 100 tickets
and the Rock Hill Chapter placed third, selling 65 tickets.  Our
appreciation to Jeff Bazer of our Columbia Chapter who did an excellent job
as our auctioneer.  The black and silver signed Carolina Panthers football
was auctioned off for $250.  Valerie Warrington secured the Panthers
football.  Our appreciation to Lenora Robertson and her kitchen crew once
again for handling the food service and preparing the meals.  I'm pleased
that this year's $5 Fun Day ticket sales exceeded last year's sales by
$3,730.  Our members worked harder than last year.  David Houck worked very
closely with those selling tickets and deserves credit for much of its
success.  The first benefit concert was a marginal success.  The band headed
up by Neal McJunkin was excellent.  The annual Labor Day Fun Day Festival
was a success because of our members participation.  There was a lot of fun
and fellowship with a great deal of congeniality.  Betty and I appreciated
the many hugs and embraces and we want all of you across the state to know
that we love you very much.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #21:  1984 - A
bill providing for equal treatment of prospective blind jurors in jury
service.