[Nfbofsc] {Spam?} COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Fri Sep 9 12:47:32 UTC 2016

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

SEPTEMBER 9, 2016

TASTE OF COLUMBIA

            On Saturday, September 24 between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., the
Columbia Chapter will host the Taste of Columbia.  Bring your best recipe
and enter it for $25.  If you enter two recipes, it costs only $40.  Those
making entries do not have to pay the $10 to sample the food.  We will have
judges and a first, second and third prize.  Those attending and wishing to
taste of these culinary delights will be charged $10.

COLUMBIA CHAPTER GOES TO ROCKY BOTTOM SEPTEMBER 30 - OCTOBER 2

            Van leaves Friday at 1:00 p.m.  Call Tiffiny if you need to ride
the van.

OCTOBER 8 MARCH FOR INDEPENDENCE

            Will be at the Drew Wellness Walkers Track on Harden St.
Registration begins at 8:15 and the walk begins at 9 a.m.  Cost to walk is
$20.

OCTOBER 24 AT YESTERDAYS

            Celebrate Fred Vercher's birthday at Yesterday's Restaurant at
5:00 p.m. on Monday, October 24.

ADULT REHABILITATION & EMPLOYMENT SURVEY

            We want to know about the experiences of blind and visually
impaired persons in the areas of education, employment, training and
vocational rehabilitation.  If you complete this brief survey you may win a
$100 VISA gift card.  There are three ways to participate:
www.pdrib.com/ares, pdrib2016 at gmail.com or 318-257-2029.  Thank you. Edward
Bell, PI,  318-257-4554, ebell at latech.edu

OCTOBER 28-30 NFB of SC CONVENTION

            You should have received your convention letters and
pre-registration letters.  Pre-registration is $70 until September 23 and
then it becomes $85.

            You can make your hotel reservation for the 2016 NFB of SC State
Convention which will be held at the Sands Resorts/Ocean Dunes hotel in
North Myrtle Beach October 28-30.  To make your room reservations call the
Sands Resort Central Reservations at 1-800-599-9872 and inform the
reservationist you are reserving a room for the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina state convention.

            All reservations must be guaranteed by check or credit card and
received within 5 days of reservation date. Advance deposits will be
credited to the last night's stay as indicated by individual reservation
request.  Room rates for this year's convention are very affordable.  The
price of rooms including taxes are $87 per night for ocean view and $99 per
night ocean front and can accommodate up to four in a room.  These room
rates will be available three days before or three days after the
convention.  Amenities include in-room safes, refrigerators, microwaves,
coffee pots, irons, ironing boards, hair dryers, electronic door locks,
wireless Internet connections, and telephones with voice mail in all
sleeping rooms.  We are expecting a large turnout of our members to attend
the 2016 state convention, so I would encourage you to make your
reservations early.

            Those needing van transportation to the state convention should
pay $40 in advance to the Columbia Chapter to get your name on the van list.
The van will leave the Federation Center at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, October
28.  We have 12 signed up to ride the van with a maximum occupancy of 18.

AUGUST 11 COLUMBIA CHAPTER MEETING

            The meeting was gaveled to order by Tiffiny Mitchell at 6:15
p.m.  There are a few members who are not well who we need to keep in our
prayers and we also had two or three new visitors present.  Ike Nelson made
a rice and meatball dinner.  Darlene Houck gave the devotional on obtaining
wisdom.  Congratulations to the Columbia Chapter for selling the most Fun
Day tickets - 174, and receiving $300 for the chapter's treasury.  Also, Roy
Smith, husband of Charleston Chapter President Josephine Smith, won the Fun
Day Ticket drawing as the seller and received $50 with his granddaughter
Queeny being the purchaser receiving $500.  A big thank you goes out to all
who helped raise $7,500 for Rocky Bottom over the Labor Day weekend.

            Our guest speaker was Josilyn Jennings from Richland County
Community Development who spoke on issues regarding fair housing.  If you
have items to help the Louisiana flood victims, please drop them by the
Center by Tuesday, September 13.

            Ike Nelson reported on the School for the Blind alumni meeting
the weekend of October 15.  Reserve your room at the Quality Inn in
Spartanburg at 864-642-0333.  The 50-50 drawing winner was Shannon Cook who
received $37.   Remember, chapter elections are in October.  If you are
running or not running for office, be sure the Nominating Committee knows of
your intentions.  Nominating Committee members are David Houck as Chairman,
Joe Dunham, Pat Wolthoff and Mary Peters

Tiffiny Mitchell, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC