[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1570

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 14 12:45:15 UTC 2016

September 14, 2016

Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter &Division Presidents &
Others

From:  Frank Coppel, President

            This past Wednesday, September 7, Shelley and myself along with
Ed and Julie Bible traveled to Myrtle Beach for the purpose of finalizing
arrangements for our upcoming State Convention.  We met with the Ocean Dunes
Hotel management staff Thursday morning, to conduct a training session on
the true nature of blindness as well as demonstrating techniques that would
best assist our blind members.  We also discussed menus for the weekend as
well as many other details regarding the convention.  It was the feeling of
the four of us, the management staff of the Ocean Dunes Hotel is willing to
do whatever needs to be done to accommodate us and to make our stay at their
hotel a memorable one.

            Only six weeks remain until the 2016 NFB of SC State Convention
begins!  The convention will be held the weekend of October 28-30 at the
Sands Resort/Ocean Dunes Hotel in Myrtle Beach.  I would suggest if you have
not made your room reservation as yet you may want to do so by calling the
Sands Resort Central Reservations at 1-800-599-9872 and inform the
reservationist you are reserving a room for the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina state convention.  All reservations must be
guaranteed by check or credit card and received within 5 days of reservation
date. Room rates for this year's convention are very affordable.  The price
of rooms including taxes is $87 per night for ocean view and $99 per night
ocean front and can accommodate up to four in a room.  Amenities include
in-room safes, refrigerators, microwaves, coffee pots, irons, ironing
boards, hair dryers, electronic door locks, wireless Internet connections,
and telephones with voice mail in all sleeping rooms.

            Also, there is only one week remaining to send in your $70
convention preregistration to the Federation Center.  The $70
preregistration for the convention will cover the Friday evening reception,
the Saturday luncheon and the Saturday evening banquet as well as a
continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning.  Remember, after
September 23, the registration will increase to $85.

            We are planning a "Beach Party" theme for our Friday evening
reception.  So bring your dancing shoes and let's "shag on the beach"!

            We have an announcement from Jennifer Duffell Hoffman and Jamie
Allison regarding a special activity which will occur at the State
convention.  "Attention! Attention!       To those who are interested in
attending NFB BELL-X at the NFBSC State Convention on Friday, October 28th.

            We invite all individuals who are interested in participating in
NFB BELL-X to obtain a free NFB white cane and a free slate and stylus from
the national website. We will have a limited supply of NFB white canes and
slates available for loan during the duration of the session, however, we
strongly encourage everyone interested to order a white cane and a slate for
yourself from the NFB national office at no cost to you that will be yours
to keep to bring with you. While other types of white canes are available,
an NFB white cane is the best tool for learning through the structured
discovery method, which differs from that of more traditional methods that
are commonly used. A pair of sleep shades (blindfold) is also highly
recommended to get the most out of the experience. These can be purchased at
many stores or from NFB Independence Market. Also note that while we hope to
get participation from parents and children, the session is open to the
general membership. If you're wanting to know more about white cane travel,
Braille, the NFB BELL Academy, its teaching philosophies, or if you could
serve future programs in some way, please make plans to attend! Here are
direct links to online forms at the national web site at www.nfb.org. If you
need to print out and send in a hard copy form, there is a separate web link
on these pages for this. If you are sighted and wishing to obtain a white
cane to use as a "teaching" cane (a cane used by a sighted person to learn
about nonvisual travel), write this in the box labeled for comments.

            To obtain a free white cane, go to:
https://nfb.org/free-cane-program.  To obtain a free slate and stylus, go
to: https://nfb.org/free-slate-program."       Thank you! Jennifer
Duffell-Hoffman and Jamie Allison, NFB BELL Academy in SC.

            The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not
the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

            The Positive Note is pleased to share the following excellent
Lions article with the blind across the state.  This article will appear in
the national Lions Club publication which is excellent public relations for
RBRCCB.  We are glad that our Resident Manager Brooke Rivers cooperated
entirely with the Salem Lions Club in making this significant gift possible
to RBRCCB.  Additionally, Brooke is featured in the picture in the article
including Salem Lions Club President Ted Brewer, Treasurer Carl Halvorsen,
and Vice President Jack Ackerman.  Here is the article:

            "Our ongoing support of the Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference
Center of the Blind extended to upgrading their laundry facilities during
July and August.  It had become difficult for Resident Manager Brooke Rivers
to clean 52 sets of sheets and towels needed to prepare for full occupancy.
The washers and dryers in three of their buildings were old and inadequate
to handle that volume in a short period of time and the laundry needs of
guests, so it was Salem Lions to the rescue.

            A small but determined group led by Ed Nichols included Jack
Ackerman, Don Gallian and Ted Brewer, along with laundry advice when
choosing machines from Lynne Gallian and Bekah Brewer.  We found a valuable
ally in Seneca Sears Owner/Operator Jason Graham who gave the Lions a
generous discount on three new washer/dryer sets.  He also delivered and
installed the new machines with some help from the Lions on August 3rd.  In
addition Jason donated enough detergent for 1200 loads of washing.
Awesome!!!

            These new machines will be a huge help on laundry days for
Brooke and also will be used by guests who need fresh clothes during their
stay.  Thanks to the Salem Lions Board of Directors for approving this
project to serve the blind citizens of South Carolina."

            The following is a little trivia.  How many of you know the
three NFB of SC chapters that are located in one county?  If you guessed
Grand Strand, Conway and Loris, you were correct.  Of great importance is
the fact that all three chapters will be only a few minutes away from the
Sands Resort/Ocean Dunes Hotel in Myrtle Beach where the state convention
will be held.  I strongly recommend to all three chapters that this is a
golden opportunity to attend a state convention if you have not done so in
the past.  Charlis Borodin is the President of the Grand Strand Chapter,
Levern Wilson is the President of the Conway Chapter and Alma Lee Doyle is
President of the Loris Chapter.

            I was pleased to learn that the winner of the $500 Fun Day
ticket drawn was "Quenny" of the Charleston Chapter.  When David Houck asked
me to reach into the bag and pull out the winning ticket on Sunday evening
during the Labor Day Fun Day Festival, I had no idea who I would draw.  The
Charleston Chapter President is Josephine Smith who has been a leader in the
chapter for many years.  The winning ticket was sold by Roy Smith of the
Charleston Chapter.  Josephine Smith and her husband Roy are the
grandparents of Queeny.  There was so much suspense when the winning ticket
was drawn which did not have the address on the ticket that made a slight
delay in getting the word out to the winner.  This year the $5 Fun Day
tickets sold were considerably more than last year.  As a matter of fact, we
sold only 384 tickets in 2015 and 712 tickets in 2016.  This was largely
responsible for the overall profits this year being larger than last year.

            Next week RBRCCB will host the senior blind.  This is a very
popular program.  Frank Coppel does an excellent job with this unique
service.

            We extend sincere sympathy to Gary Hollie Barnhart of
Summerville, the father of Carrie Houck who is married to Kevin, the son of
David and Darlene Houck.  Mr. Barnhart died on Friday, September 9.  Let's
remember the Barnhart and Houck family in our thoughts and prayers.

            We extend best wishes for a rapid recovery to Caroline Bowen,
wife of our RBRCCB resident board member Dr. Tom Bowen.  Caroline was
recently involved in a fall requiring surgery to repair her knee.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #22:  1984 - A
bill providing for voting assistance of choice by blind persons