[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1571

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 21 12:48:09 UTC 2016

September 21, 2016

Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter &Division Presidents &
Others

From:  Frank Coppel, President

            Hello from RBRCCB where the 2016 Fall session of Senior Camp is
in full swing.  Twenty-four seniors from all corners of the state arrived at
Rocky Bottom on Sunday afternoon.  The weather this week has been perfect
and the seniors have enjoyed activities such as walks, BINGO, group
discussions, a field trip to the Farmers' Market in Asheville N.C. and
visiting with each other on the deck of the Conference Center.  As usual,
Lenora Robertson and her "food crew" have done an outstanding job and most
of us probably have gained a few pounds.

                To accommodate as many of our members as possible, we are
going to extend the deadline to receive the $70 preregistration for the
State Convention until October 14.  The $70 preregistration for the
convention will cover the Friday evening reception, the Saturday luncheon
and the Saturday evening banquet as well as a continental breakfast Saturday
and Sunday morning.  After October 14, the registration will increase to
$85.

            Remember, we are planning a "Beach Party" theme for our Friday
evening reception.  So bring your dancing shoes and let's "shag on the
beach"!

            It is time to turn our attention toward Meet the Blind Month
which is held during the month of October.  This is an extremely important
event, because it provides our members the opportunity to educate the public
of the programs and services offered by the National Federation of the
Blind.  Meet the Blind Month activities can also be used as a recruitment
tool to introduce blind individuals to our organization.  It is my hope that
all our chapters are planning activities in their communities to promote
this worthwhile event.  Thus far, I am aware the Anderson Chapter is having
their annual Walk a Thon on Saturday, October 8th, 2016 at the Balloons over
Anderson. Registration will start at 12:00 pm and the walk will begin at
1:00 pm. Donations are most needed to promote scholarships for qualified
students,  utilities for Rocky Bottom Camp, and transportation to and from
local and state meetings.  I am also aware the Columbia Chapter is planning
a March for Independence on Saturday morning, October 8.  The march will
take place at the Drew Wellness Walkers Track on Harden St.  Registration
begins at 8:15 am and the walk begins at 9:00 am.  Cost to walk is $20.  Let
me know if your chapter will be having a Meet the Blind Month activity and I
will be glad to share this information in the Positive Note.

            In a few days, all of you should be receiving your 2017 Orlando
National Convention bus tickets.  Let's do all we can to raise the
approximate $7,500 which will be needed to charter one bus to the National
Convention in Orlando.  Remember, the NFB of SC State Board during its
August 20, meeting voted to raise the price of the bus ticket to $2 for one
ticket or $5 for three tickets.  Also, remember, the buyer of the winning
ticket which will be drawn on January 28, 2017 at the Statewide Seminar will
win $300, the seller of the winning ticket will now receive $100, and the
Chapter selling the most tickets will win $300.

            I am saddened to report of the passing of Matthew Holmes a
member of our Georgetown chapter.  He was a charter member of the Georgetown
Chapter and he will be greatly missed.  Let's remember the chapter members
and Mr. Holmes family in our thoughts and prayers.

            On Saturday, September 24 between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., the
Columbia Chapter will host the Taste of Columbia.  Bring your best recipe
and enter it for $25.  If you enter two recipes, it costs only $40.  Those
making entries do not have to pay the $10 to sample the food.  We will have
judges and a first, second and third prize.  Those attending and wishing to
taste of these culinary delights will be charged $10.

            The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not
the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

            With the senior blind enjoying this week at RBRCCB, it's a good
time to talk about the beginning of Rocky Bottom.  We met with the Chairman
of Pickens County Council in October of 1978 requesting his cooperation in
handling the Rocky Bottom property to be turned over to the blind for their
pleasure and enjoyment.  A few weeks later we received notification that our
request had been granted.  We had told the county council chairman that we
would develop the property although at that time we had no money in the bank
but had faith we could get the job done.  In January 1979 we began to do
some work on the site as there was a small cottage that had been on the
property for a long time.  We needed some startup money to purchase paint
and it was entirely necessary to raise funds to have a well drilled in order
to stay overnight at the cottage.  A blind person supplied the startup
funds.  At the chapter meeting during that time I reported that the Rocky
Bottom property had been turned over to the NFB of SC for development.
After explaining this, a visiting blind person receiving training at the
Commission for the Blind arose and stated that he would gie $5,000 for the
startup funds.  He was David Osterneck.  $5,000 was a lot of money in 1979
and it was just like a gift from Heaven.  A decision was made to honor Mr.
Osterneck by naming the cottage in his honor.  Now you have the story of how
Osterneck Cottage came about.  The $5,000 gift enabled us to have a well
drilled and obtain other needed items.  I remember we spent the night in
Osterneck Cottage in January 1979 when the weather was well below freezing.
We used the old bunks for sleeping purposes.  After receiving some statewide
support we began construction of the much needed expansion of Osterneck in
early 1980.  The first official meeting in the expanded Osterneck Cottage
occurred in December 1980 when the Board of Directors of the NFB of SC held
a Christmas meeting in the newly expanded facility.  Meanwhile, it had
become necessary to adopt a constitution and bylaws and have RBRCCB
incorporated.  The Board of Directors worked closely together to finalize an
appropriate constitution.  It was felt that the RBRCCB constitution should
closely reflect the philosophy and policies of the NFB of SC.  For example,
the RBRCCB constitution features five state officers of the NFB of SC, the
Executive Director of the Federation Center of the Blind, the inclusion of a
resident board member from Rocky Bottom and a member-at-large.  Thus, the
constitution and bylaws of the RBRCCB board is required by its provisions to
cooperate with the NFB of SC.  The RBRCCB Board of Directors elects its
officers under the constitution featuring a Chairman, Vice Chairman,
Secretary and a Treasurer.  We were fortunate in 1979 to obtain the services
of a blind gentleman as Resident Manager; this being Jerry Whittle who also
was the first Resident Manager.  Incidentally, Jerry went on to become a
leader in the NFB of Louisiana as well as a leader in the NFB.  As you can
see, there was a lot of work done in the infancy days of RBRCCB.  It was
also very apparent that we carry out our pledge to the Chairman of Pickens
County Council which was predicated on faith and hard work.  A few years
after Osterneck Cottage was constructed we built Oglesby Cottage in 1984,
the Conference Center being dedicated in July of 1992 and the Ellenburg
Lodge in 1999.  We have renovated Lawton Hall from time to time and we also
had a swimming pool constructed.

            I was saddened to learn of the death of my longtime friend
Matthew Holmes.  I recruited Mr. Holmes who was the first President, I
believe, of the Georgetown Chapter.  Mr. Holmes was a deeply religious
person, a highly respected Christian.  He was elected to the Board of
Directors of the NFB of SC and was a faithful member.  I extend sympathy to
his surviving family members.

Final Thought:  History of NFB of SC Legislative Victories:  #23:  1986 -
Fair Insurance Coverage for the Blind bill.