[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1600

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 12 14:02:41 UTC 2017

April 12, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Congratulations to Parnell Diggs who this past Thursday, April
6, moved to Cincinnati, Ohio for the purpose of assuming new job
responsibilities as an Administrative Law judge for the Social Security
Administration.  Although Parnell has indicated to me on numerous occasions
he enjoyed his work as the Director of Governmental Affairs for the NFB, he
appears to be very excited regarding his new career path and I am certain
all of us in the NFB of SC wish Parnell the best of luck in his new
endeavors.

              We have an announcement from Phil Marret regarding the Upstate
fishing trip.  "The upstate Lions blind fishing tournament will be held May
5th and 6th. We will be going to Rocky Bottom that Friday afternoon for time
together and a great supper supplied by the Easley Lions Club and cooked by
Chuck Dawkins and his crew.  Saturday morning, the same crew will cook
another fantastic meal for breakfast before we go to South Cove Park in
Seneca, S.C. to get on the pontoon boats for the fishing.

The Visually Impaired Person (VIP) that catches the most fish and the VIP
that catches the fish that weighs the most will win a trip to the Outer
Banks of N.C. for the International VIP tournament. The third VIP will be
the VIP that sponsors the most NEW VIPs that actually come and fish with us
will win the third seat on the bus.

We have room for 50 fishermen and would love to see this program grow."
Phil Marret and his fellow Lions do an outstanding job organizing this event
and I hope many of you in the Upstate will take advantage of this
opportunity."

              I am saddened to report the death of Ruth Jordan who passed
away Wednesday evening, April 5.  I have had the opportunity of speaking to
Mrs. Jordan on numerous occasions and she always appeared to be an extremely
kind and generous lady.  Mrs. Jordan was a longtime associate member of the
Greenville chapter and throughout the years she has made generous
contributions to Rocky Bottom and the NFB of SC.  I know the NFB of SC
family will miss Ruth Jordan a great deal and we would like to extend our
condolences to her friends and family.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Ruth Ellen Cox Jordan passed away on Wednesday, April 5, 2017
at the age of 89.  She was a longtime and valued member of the Greenville
Chapter of the NFB of SC.  In fact, as a retired educator, an annual
scholarship has been given in her name from the Greenville Chapter.  Born in
Pickens County, she was the daughter of the late Rev. John M. Cox and Carrie
Cox King.  She also taught piano lessons for free.  Current Greenville
Chapter President and NFB of SC and Federation Center board member JW Smith,
stated that Ruth Jordan was an active Associate member, participating in all
areas of the chapter's activities, filling in wherever she could.  She
participated in fundraisers and attended the annual Fun Day Festivals at
RBRCCB.  Below is a reprint of the October 7, 2009 Positive Note Spotlight
article authored by me concerning more background on Ruth Jordan:

              "It was just about the last thing I expected.  An article on
the beginning of RBRCCB was carried in the Greenville News about 27 years
ago describing a new program for the state's blind.  Shortly after this
article was published, I received a letter from Mrs. Ruth Jordan of
Greenville which included a check for $1,000 made payable to this new state
facility.  The author of this gift and letter explained she had a mother who
was blind for 25 years.  Her mother was Mrs. Carrie Lee Cox and Mrs. Jordan
wanted to give a living memorial in memory of her mother and also wanted to
help in a program conducted for blind students and their parents.  Mrs.
Jordan has continued to make contributions to both RBRCCB and the NFB of SC.
For example, with Mrs. Jordan having taught school for 60 years, she is a
noted educator.  We suggested to Mrs. Jordan that she might like to
contribute to the Dr. Sheila S. Breitweiser Scholarship as Mrs. Breitweiser
was an educator and an administrator for 11 years at the SC School for the
Deaf and the Blind.  Mrs. Jordan promptly sent a check for $100 which is
about 10% of the scholarship.  In the late 1980's, RBRCCB officials made
plans to erect an administration building.  We approached Mrs. Jordan with
our plan to name the library in the new facility in memory of Mrs. Carrie
Lee Cox who was blind and a school teacher.  This project was completed in
July 1991 when the dedication of the facility was held.  Some 500 persons
filled the Jack Garrett Memorial Dining Hall to capacity featuring standing
room only.  The late Governor Carroll Campbell was the featured speaker.
Mrs. Jordan stood at the entrance of the Carrie Lee Cox Memorial Library and
greeted hundreds who had the opportunity to see this special room for the
first time including a large picture of Mrs. Carrie Lee Cox.  About 10 years
ago Mrs. Jordan wrote to us and suggested that we contact Mrs. Maxine Bock
who was the administrator of the Bock Foundation in Chicago.  Following her
husband's death, Mrs. Bock moved to Columbia and as Mrs. Jordan suggested, I
contacted Mrs. Bock who met us at the Federation Center.  She carefully
listened to our proposal which consisted of financial assistance to renovate
the Federation Center.  Mrs. Jordan knew what she was talking about as Mrs.
Bock promptly issued a grant of $50,000 to cover the renovations.  The Board
Room in the Federation Center is named in honor and in memory of Mrs. Bock
who passed away a few years ago.  Shortly thereafter, I requested Dr.
Breitweiser, President of SCSDB to contact Mrs., Bock for assistance to the
School.  Shortly thereafter, the Voss Center at the School was created
because of a large grant made by Mrs. Bock.  Three years ago Mrs. Jordan
joined the Greenville Chapter of the NFB of SC and is enjoying her
membership.  For the first time, Mrs. Jordan attended the Fun Day Festival
at RBRCCB this year on Monday, September 7.     We sincerely trust that this
highly intelligent and charming lady will be with us for many years to come
for there's no one who adequately measures up to this special lady.  It's an
honor to spotlight this special lady who is both a very good friend and
benefactor."  Our sincere sympathy goes to her family and friends as she
will be greatly missed.

Final Thought:  Raising Expectations:  Find one thing you are good at and
give it your best shot, exceeding expectations.  Then go on to the next
thing you are good at       and repeat the process.