[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1617

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 9 13:15:07 UTC 2017

August 9, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              As I reported in last week's Positive Note, the annual Rocky
Bottom Fun Day Festival will take place Labor Day weekend, September 1-4.
If you would like to make a reservation for the weekend you can contact me
at (803) 796-8662 or call the Federation Center at (803) 254-3777.  We have
already begun to receive requests for sleeping accommodations, so I would
strongly encourage you to call and reserve a room at Rocky Bottom as soon as
possible.  During the past week, I have received a few calls regarding the
cost for the meals during the weekend.  I can assure you the price for the
meals will be very affordable and this price will be determined at the Rocky
Bottom Board of Directors meeting Friday afternoon, August 18.  I hope you
are continuing to sell your $5 Fun Day tickets as this greatly contributes
to the overall profits of the Fun Day Festival.  Remember, the seller of the
winning ticket will receive $50 and $500 to the buyer of the winning ticket.
if you purchase your own ticket, you will receive $550.  The chapter selling
the most tickets will receive $300 for its treasury!

              We have an announcement from Jennifer Bazer, RBRCCB fund
raising chairman regarding the Fun Day Festival.  "Hello NFB of SC,

              As the chair of the fund-raising committee for Rocky Bottom,
Fun Day is right around the corner--Labor Day weekend!           The
committee needs your help to make Rocky Bottom's biggest fund-raiser a
success!

              We are looking for items for the live auction. Currently, we
have items from Carolina and Clemson and a few other exciting opportunities
to bid. New items are welcome as well as gift cards or other new in box
items that you may not have used; we will be happy to take them off your
hands. Even if you believe your item is small, please submit it to the
committee to be used in a gift basket with other items.

              Also, we will have the country store which will have baked
goods, homemade jams and jellies, homemade crafts and other items you may
wish to contribute.

              We have so many talented members in the NFB of SC. Please
consider donating an item, a gift card, a baked good, or a craft to Fun Day!

              Items can be mailed or dropped off at the Federation Center at
119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205 or given to one of the committee
members at the state convention.  Also, if you have ideas about activities
to be held during the weekend, please let me know.

              Please contact me with any questions or to make a donation to
the auction or country store by calling me at 803-960-9977 cell,
803-661-6622 home or emailing me at jhipp25 at sc.rr.com.

              Thank you for considering how you can help make Fun Day a
success at Rocky Bottom!"

              The NFB will conduct nationwide Cardtronics ATM testing in
September and October of this year as an important part of the NFB's
settlement agreement with Cardtronics. Our affiliate is included in this
testing effort and will have the opportunity to test at least eleven ATMs
for accessibility. If you would like to be a tester, please contact me
before August 15. You can call me at (803) 796-8662 or email me at
frankcoppel at att.net.  Testers will need to be able to read Braille
instructions and should be comfortable using an ATM and completing an online
survey. Testers will be asked to confirm that voice guidance software and
other accessibility features have been added to specific, assigned
Cardtronics ATMs. The tester's role is critical to this project and I thank
you for considering being involved.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              I'm sure that all of you from time to time have experienced an
annoying incident occurring just about when you are ready to take on the
day.  This happened to me on three different occasions just before I was
getting ready to dictate the Positive Note.

              About the first thing I do each morning when I'm getting ready
to take on the day is to put in my hearing aids which are essential for me
to function in an adequate manner.  Guess what - There were no hearing aids
for my use as both my live-in caregiver and myself inadvertently allowed for
these necessary items to be exhausted.  To make matters worse, our caregiver
was in the midst of preparing breakfast and, therefore, I had to wait longer
than usual for another set of hearing aids.

              Shortly thereafter a second incident occurred.  About that
time, our son Craig contacted us to report an error in last week's Positive
Note.  This involved the following:  The Positive Note read, "Upon arrival
at their home, Marshall presented me with a bag of orange slices as he knows
I enjoy this particular candy."  The correct sentence should have read,
"Upon arrival at our home, Marshall presented me with a bag of orange slices
as he knows I enjoy this particular candy."  We immediately notified
Marshall and Lois of the correction.  They were not as disturbed as we were
over the error.  Marshall was very gracious in that matter.  Most of you
probably know that I dictate the Positive Note to David Houck over the
telephone and I think we work very well together considering telephone
errors can occur somewhat more often than when you are dictating face to
face.

              When I soon discovered our telephone was not working properly,
I decided I should have stayed in bed as it seemed things weren't going too
well with these three instances occurring in the same morning.  Upon
reflection we all get too worked up over seemingly minor or non-serious
incidents.  For example, if I had taken the time to realize the morning had
gone relatively well with a wonderful breakfast which featured bananas and
cereal, fresh cherries, pineapple coconut cake, fresh juice and coffee; this
alone was better than most people have for breakfast.  Also, the phone
seemed to straighten out without having to contact the phone company.  In
closing, I probably have taken up too much of your time but sometimes it
seems appropriate to share with you relatively trivial matters which we
should not get bent out of shape over.

Final Thought:  "Happiness is not having what you want but wanting what you
have."