[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1634

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Dec 6 13:37:30 UTC 2017

December62, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              The 38th annual Christmas Board Retreat held at Rocky Bottom
this past weekend was extremely busy as many of us participated in two board
meetings on Saturday (RBRCCB Board of Directors which was held 9:30 a.m. and
the of the Board of Directors of the NFB of SC which was held at 2:00 p.m.).
The 2018 edition of Children's camp will be held June 9, to June 16.  The
dates for the 2018 Senior Camps will be May 20-24 and September 16-20.  Ed
Bible, Vice Chairman of the RBRCCB Board of Directors, gave an extensive
report regarding the overall operations of the camp.  Mr. Bible stated there
has been a great deal of work done regarding the infrastructure of our
facilities at Rocky Bottom such as repairing the septic tank, pump, termite
damage in Osterneck and other repairs.  Mr. Bible also thanked the
individuals, church groups, and civic organizations who have volunteered
their services in the area of building and ground maintenance during the
past eight months at Rocky Bottom.  The board also had a thorough discussion
regarding the rental fees for the sighted public as well as the reservation
or processing fees we are currently charging at Rocky Bottom.  The board
voted unanimously to increase rental and processing fees beginning January
1, 2018.  A thorough explanation of the increases will be discussed at the
Statewide Seminar on January 6.  The board discussed the 2017 Fun Day
Festival and ideas as to how we can significantly improve the overall
proceeds for the camp.  The Board also agreed that the Fund Raising
Committee consisting of Jennifer Bazer, Ed Bible, Valerie Warrington, Linda
Bible, and Debra Canty will start planning for this event in January and the
committee will update their progress to the board at the Spring meeting.
During the NFB of SC State Board meeting, a variety of topics were
discussed.  The Board heard a report from Debra Canty, Chairperson of the
Fund Raising Committee who reported the third annual Sweetheart Dance will
be held on Saturday, February 17, 2018 at the Federation Center of the
Blind.  All proceeds raised from the dance will be given to the NFB of SC.
Jamie Allison, Chairperson of the Youth Recruitment Committee discussed with
the board the various strategies her committee was considering to attract
families of blind children and younger individuals to the NFB of SC.  Ms.
Allison reported her committee has discussed the possibility of hosting a
virtual youth Rally during the first quarter of 2018 and establishing a
mentoring program which hopefully will start in the very near future.  David
Houck, Federation Center of the Blind Director, gave an excellent report.
Mr. Houck reported the Federation Center continues to be financially sound
and that the Center is looking to expand its assistive technology training
programs.  The Washington Seminar was discussed and will begin on Sunday,
January 28, 2018 with the "great gathering in" meeting being held on Monday,
January 29, at 5:00 p.m.  Room rates for the Washington Seminar are $192 per
night plus a 14.5 percent room tax.  Please call the Holiday Inn Capitol at
(877) 572-6951 and referencing booking code FB8 to make your reservation.
All reservations must be made by December 28.  If you wish to attend or have
questions regarding the Washington Seminar, please call me at (803)
796-8662.  I want to take this opportunity to especially thank Lenora
Robertson and her "food crew" for all of their hard work preparing the
delicious meals throughout the weekend.  I also would like to thank each of
you who attended Rocky Bottom this weekend for making the Christmas Board
Retreat an extremely enjoyable and pleasant experience for Shelley and
myself.

              We have an announcement from Loretta Green and Isaiah Nelson.
"The NFB of SC is planning a charter bus trip to the Jernigan Institute (our
national headquarters) in Baltimore, Maryland the weekend of April 6-8.  The
cost to ride the charter bus will be $100 per person.  The initial $25 is
due by January 6, at the statewide seminar and the remainder of the money is
due no later than Friday, February 23 2018.  If you have any questions,
regarding this trip you can contact Loretta Green at (843) 276-9649 or
Isaiah Nelson at (803) 413-2434."

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              I have been attending Christmas Board Retreats at RBRCCB for
several decades and I can vouch in telling you that this Board Retreat was
the best or near the best of all of them.  It was apparent that the 40
members from across the state were in great spirits and having a wonderful
time.  I attended all of the RBRCCB board meeting as well as the NFB of SC
board meeting.  President Frank Coppel had prepared for the board meetings,
providing excellent planning apparent.  At the RBRCCB board meeting the
board increased the rentals for the facilities as there had not been any
increase for more than a decade.  There was considerable discussion about
planning for the 2018 Fun Day Festival.  This is a major event for RBRCCB
and our best effort statewide is essential if we are going to improve on our
net profits.  We talked about a variety of things affecting Fun Day and
encouraged greater participation including Fun Day ticket sales and food
donations.  The board meeting of the NFB of SC was held Saturday afternoon
following the luncheon.  As always, Lenora Robertson and her kitchen crew
did an excellent job on all meals featuring an excellent Christmas banquet.
I'm pleased that the board recognizes the advantages of the convention being
held in Columbia because of its central location.  President Coppel is
handling this important issue.  It appears that we will have an excellent
delegation for the annual Washington Seminar.  I'm sure we will be
represented well.  The Christmas banquet was delightful with high spirits.
We were glad to welcome our Advisory Board Chairman, Mr. John Sarpy and his
lovely wife Linda.  He made some brief comments to the gathering.  As
always, David Houck, Executive Director of the Federation Center of the
Blind, brought the Christmas message on Luke chapter 2.  This was followed
by group singing including the "12 Days of Christmas" which was not
performed with excellence.  It was fun, however.  This was followed by the
distribution of gifts.  Then there was the partaking of a variety of
desserts which everyone enjoyed.  Everyone departed Sunday morning and
returned home safely.  It would be difficult to top this annual Christmas
Board Retreat.  Linda Bible, Resident Manager of RBRCCB, was recognized for
her excellent job in this role.  Incidentally, Linda advised me that there
are now six ducks in the Eddie Mae Lucas Webb Memorial Pond.  JJ, the RBRCCB
resident duck, has been very productive as there were only three ducks a few
weeks ago.  I want to close this Positive Note by congratulating all of you
who attended the Christmas Board Retreat and made this a wonderful event.

Final Thought:  "Christmas is the season to kindle the fire of hospitality."
- Washington Irving