[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1636

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Dec 20 13:43:58 UTC 2017

December 20, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              During this past week, Shelley and I have been extremely busy
as we have traveled approximately 500 miles attending Chapter Christmas
parties throughout the state.  On Tuesday, evening, December 12, Shelley and
I had the pleasure of attending the 44th Annual Christmas Banquet Gala
hosted by the Sumter Chapter.  Approximately 400 people attended this year's
banquet and Debra Canty, President of the Sumter chapter again did an
excellent job presiding over the festivities.  The program for the evening
was extremely impressive as Doug Hudson and Sarah Massengale provided the
musical entertainment and Shawn Callaway, National board member of the NFB
and President of the District of Columbia affiliate of the NFB was the key
note speaker for the evening.  I was honored to introduce Mr. Callaway to
the audience.  Also in attendance was Ed Bible, NFB of SC state board member
and his wife Julie and Linda Dizzley, NFB  of SC state board member and
President of the Lee County Chapter.

              On Thursday evening, December 14, Shelley and I traveled to
Gaffney to attend the Cherokee County chapter Christmas party.
Approximately 20 people were in attendance and it is very evident Jamie
Allison, chapter President, is doing an excellent job.  The party was held
at the Colonial Fish Camp and everyone enjoyed delicious seafood and
participated in a gift exchange.  On Friday December 15, we traveled to
Jefferson, SC where we attended the Chesterfield County Chapter Christmas
luncheon.  Approximately 25 people were in attendance for the luncheon and
it was very evident Dorcas Campbell, Chapter President, is doing an
outstanding job.  The chapter treated everyone to a delicious barbecue feast
and everyone enjoyed singing a number of Christmas carols. It was also great
to see the First vice President of the NFB of SC, Lenora Robertson, her
daughter, Ellen Taylor, and Louise Watson at the meeting as well.

              We have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, President of the
Seniors Division.  "Merry Christmas from the Senior Division!!  We are
conducting a drawing to be held at our Statewide Seminar, January 6, 2018.
For all of you who have taken tickets to sell, I encourage you to continue
selling and please bring your money and the ticket stubs to me the day of
the Seminar.  Please also bring me your unsold tickets. If you need tickets
to sell, you can contact me by phone at: 803-796-8662; or by email:
Frankandshelley51 at gmail.com.

              The price for the tickets is: $2 for one ticket, and $5 for
three.  The prizes are as follows: First prize- a power air-fryer XL, and
2nd prize is a $50 gift card for Walmart.  Thank you so much for supporting
our Senior Division."

              The Christmas season is a very beautiful and special time of
the year.  I especially enjoy listening to Christmas music, being with
family and friends, eating wonderful food, and watching our four
grandchildren opening their gifts on Christmas morning.  Shelley and I would
like to take this opportunity to wish each and every one of you a very Merry
Christmas and let's all of us remember the "Reason for the Season".

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Christmas events are being held all over the state in the
federation.  The NFB of SC which did not become a state affiliate until 1956
is responsible for Christmas parties taking place statewide.  For example in
only recent years, our Chesterfield County Chapter and the Upper Dorchester
County Chapter have had Christmas parties as reorganized chapters in these
areas, bringing the blind together.  The Columbia Chapter has been
sponsoring Christmas parties since the mid 1950's and has come to be held at
the Federation Center of the Blind which became available in 1961, over 50
years ago.  On December 14 the Columbia Chapter enjoyed an outstanding
Christmas party featuring one of the best banquets than I've ever seen
before.  It featured ham, chicken, dressing, string beans, rice, cabbage and
a variety of cakes and pies and desserts.  There were a lot of different
foods to choose from as chapter members brought their own food plates.
David Houck brought the Christmas message which was excellent.  All of us
were stunned to hear from Columbia Chapter President Tiffiny Mitchell who
reported that one week earlier she lost everything due to smoke damage.  She
woke up at 2:00 in the morning with her building engulfed in smoke and fire.
We are thankful Tiffiny was able to get out of the building without injury.
The chapter wanted to be of service to Tiffiny and the freewill offering of
a significant amount was contributed to her by the members.  During the past
several decades members have unfortunately experienced fires.  Having
suffered this great loss I believe Tiffiny will be most appreciative of this
assistance.  This is especially true since we are in the midst of giving
during the Christmas season.  I'm sure Tiffiny will appreciate any amount
contributed, large or small.  In the past, when similar circumstances
occurred, we encouraged chapters statewide to make checks payable to the
"NFB of SC", earmarked for the "Tiffiny Mitchell fire fund."  Please make
out your check and send it to David Houck at the Federation Center of the
Blind, 119 S. Kilbourne Rd., Columbia, SC 29205, who will arrange for
Tiffiny Mitchell to receive the assistance.  Throughout all of this Tiffiny
has continued to operate her vending facility demonstrating her commitment
and dedication, not only to her vending facility but also to the Columbia
Chapter during a very busy time.  Tiffiny is not only committed to the
presidency of the Columbia Chapter but was also elected to the NFB of SC
state board at the recent NFB of SC state convention for her service.  I'm
sure all of you will understand and participate in uplifting Tiffiny,
especially during this special season.  Let me wish for each and every one
of you a very merry Christmas.

Final Thought:  "I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all
the year." - Charles Dickens