[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1593

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Feb 22 14:00:02 UTC 2017

February 22, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              As authorized by the Board of Directors of RBRCCB at its
meeting on February 4, I as Chairman and Ed Bible, as Vice Chairman met with
Brooke Rivers on Saturday, February 11, to discuss with her the board's
decision to move in a different direction regarding the position of resident
manager and relieving her of her duties in this position.  Mr. Bible and I
thanked Brooke for her two years of service to RBRCCB and wished her the
best of luck in her future endeavors.  As the board and I begin the process
of filling this position, Linda Bible, ED Bible's sister, has graciously
agreed to serve as the interim resident manager on a voluntary basis during
this time.  Linda's work history consists of a great deal of experience in
the area of grounds keeping, as well as, commercial and residential
cleaning.  She is very excited and willing to do whatever she can to help us
and I know everyone will enjoy working with her during this transition
period.

              On Saturday evening, February 18, Shelley and I had a great
time attending the second annual Sweetheart Dance Sponsored by the NFB of
SC.  Approximately 47 individuals were in attendance and it was very
apparent everyone enjoyed all the festivities of the evening.  The
Federation Center was beautifully decorated with pink table cloths as well
as cut out Valentine hearts and a balloon bouquet on each table.
Individuals enjoyed a delicious dinner after which time people appeared to
be having fun listening to the music, dancing or just talking with each
other.  Thanks to the generosity of many individuals and chapters and the
efforts of Jennifer Bazer, door prize chairperson, a large number of Door
prizes were handed out which greatly added to the festivities of the
evening.  I would like to thank Shedrick Herd, a longtime associate member
of the Columbia chapter, who provided the music for the evening free of
charge.  I would also like to thank Corey Gibbons, Debra Canty's son and his
lovely wife, Tanisha, for volunteering their time to decorate the Federation
Center.  Very special thanks go to Debra Canty, our Fundraising Chairperson
and her committee for putting together this event.  Many cudoes for a job
well done!

              Earlier on Saturday afternoon, Shelley and I had the privilege
of attending the beautiful memorial service honoring Martha Robertson which
was held at the New Life Freewill Baptist Church in Lancaster.  The blind
were well represented as the church was almost filled to capacity.  All of
us who attended the service, were deeply touched by the remarks made by
family members and others regarding "Miss Martha" and the beautiful music.
Also on Saturday morning, Going Home services for second vice president,
Cheryl Mott-Sims, of the Lee County chapter was held in Bishopville.  Let's
continue to keep Mike and Jean Sutton and their family as well as the Sims
family in our thoughts and prayers.

              Our sympathy goes out to Dr. Capps whose last surviving
Mrs. Collins over the years made generous contributions to the NFB of SC,
Rocky Bottom, and the Federation Center of the Blind.  Our Federation family
needs to keep Dr. Capps and Mrs. Capps in our thoughts and prayers as well.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              It is with a heavy heart that we dictate this Positive Note.
Over the weekend on Saturday, February 18, I lost my remaining sibling,
Loretta Capps-Collins who passed away after an extended illness.  I know
that we are to celebrate the life of an individual but it is very difficult
with me.  Loretta was a special person in every sense of the word.  The
Positive Note accommodates special situations and I'm taking the liberty
this Monday morning to tell you some things about Loretta.  She lived to be
90 years of age.  She was born 23 months before I was.  We grew up together.
There were 11 siblings in my family, four girls and seven boys.  Loretta and
I were the last remaining siblings.  She was survived by two sons, several
grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  One of her sons, Chris is a
practicing attorney in Houston, Texas.  Her other son, Wayne operates the
funeral home where the service for Loretta will be held; tomorrow, Tuesday,
February 21 at 3:00 p.m. at the Cox-Collins Funeral Home in Mullins.
Loretta was an outstanding business lady, being the owner of several
different businesses.  Loretta, as everyone knew her was owner of Winkie's
Florist in Mullins for 37 years, where she loved working with flowers and
decorating. She worked and helped many young ladies over the years with
their flowers.   She was generous.  Throughout her long life Loretta
contributed to the Federation and Rocky Bottom.  She was very supportive of
my service to the blind.  She participated in the Capps family reunion held
at the Federation Center in the mid 1980's.  Loretta is admired throughout
the Mullins and Marion communities.  She was a strong supporter of Gapway
Baptist Church which was established over 200 years ago.  Loretta was also
supportive of community programs.  I would deeply appreciate all of you
keeping me in your thoughts and prayers in my loss.

Final Thought:  Raising Expectations:  "Marriage raises expectations
concerning a lifetime of love, togetherness, shared experiences and the joy
of raising children and grandchildren."