[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1610

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jun 21 14:11:06 UTC 2017

June 21, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Excitement is beginning to build for the upcoming 2017 NFB of
SC state convention which will be held August 18-20 at the Hyatt Regency
Hotel in Greenville.  I spoke with our events coordinator at the Hyatt
Regency Hotel and she informed me room reservations are increasing
significantly.  Room rates are very affordable.  Rates for this year's
convention are $99 per night for up to four in a room.  In addition to the
room rates there will be a tax, which at present is 12 percent.  There will
also be a limited number of rooms available for the $99 rate Thursday,
August 17.  I would suggest if you have not made your room reservation as
yet you may want to do so by calling the Hyatt Regency Central Reservations
at 402-592-6434 and inform the reservationist you are reserving a room for
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina state convention.
The hotel has also made available a dedicated website to book your hotel
rooms online. Reservations can be made at this web address:

https://aws.passkey.com/go/natfedblind.

              Remember, you need to make your room reservation at the Hyatt
Regency no later than July 27.  If you wait until after July 27, it may be
extremely difficult to reserve a room.  I would also encourage you to go
ahead and pay your $80 preregistration for the convention which will cover
the Friday evening reception, the Saturday luncheon and the Saturday evening
banquet as well as a continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning.
After August 9, the registration will increase to $100.  The program for the
convention is shaping up nicely.  We are working very hard to have a
surprise or two for Saturday morning which hopefully will create excitement
and set the tone for the convention.

              We have an announcement from Krystal Reece, President of our
Anderson Chapter.  "The Anderson Chapter of the NFB OF South Carolina will
host their first fundraiser dance affair on Saturday, November 4, 2017 at
the American Legion in Anderson at 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p. m.  The dress
attire will be casual. The evening of fun will include lots of give-a-ways.
The tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door.  If you plan to attend
please mail money orders or cashier checks to, Krystal Reece, 3515 Wilmont
Street, Anderson, South Carolina, 29624. Please contact Krystal Reece if you
have any questions about this event."

              Finally, I like to this time to recognize all the Dads in the
NFB of SC and I hope all of you had a wonderful Father's Day this past
Sunday.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              We are honored to spotlight one of our leaders in the Pee Dee
area.  I'm referring to Ronald Benjamin who is President of our Florence
Chapter.  Ronald Benjamin was born in Bishopville and raised in Lamar, both
towns along I-20 going toward Florence.  He enrolled in the School for the
Blind in Spartanburg and completed high school at the South Florence High
School.  He received the Presidential Academic Award in high school and
following graduation he attended Spartanburg Technical College, majoring in
Marketing.  Ronald Benjamin's academic education paid off as he landed a
Customer Service job with a Health Care Facility where he worked there until
2006.

              His hobbies include singing and he is an avid sports fan.  His
favorite college team is the Florida State Seminoles.  Professional sports
teams include the Dallas Cowboys football team, the Los Angeles Dodgers
baseball team and the Boston Celtics basketball team.

              Ronald Benjamin who resides in Florence joined the Florence
Chapter in the 1980's when Butch Compton was a member.  He served a few
years as the Florence Chapter Vice President beginning in 1993.  He served
as Florence Chapter President from 1997 to 2005 and again from 2010 to the
present.  He attended the 2002 Louisville NFB convention and he has attended
ten NFB of SC conventions.  His service to the blind in the federation spans
about four decades.

              Ronald Benjamin is a member of the First United Pentecostal
Church in Florence.  As you will note, Ronald Benjamin has led a full life
with extensive service in the federation and with enjoyment in the sports
world.  Congratulations to Ronald who is our spotlight member for this week.

              Betty and I will celebrate our 68th wedding anniversary this
Sunday, June 25.  We were married in our hometown of Mullins.  The wedding
was performed by the Pastor of the First Baptist Church.  We have been
blessed with a wonderful marriage and we still deeply love each other.  From
this union we have been fortunate to have two children, three grandchildren
and four great-grandchildren; the last one, Juliet, having been born in
April.  Betty and I have appreciated the recognition accorded to us in the
federation, including on a local, state and national level.

Final Thought:  "In your everyday, tightly packed schedule, be certain to
schedule some time off for yourself."