[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1603

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed May 3 12:51:49 UTC 2017

May 3, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I want to take this opportunity to thank those of you who
participated in the Midlands Gives fund raising event which was held in
Columbia yesterday.  I want to especially thank Valerie and Larry Warrington
for all of their hard work during the past few months with this project
which made it possible for the NFB of SC and Rocky Bottom to participate in
this program.  I also want to thank the Rocky Bottom Board of Directors for
their financial support in this endeavor as Rocky Bottom received $500 for
being one of the first sixty organization's board of directors to
financially support Midlands Gives.

              At the April 22, NFB of SC Board of Directors meeting, the
board voted unanimously to roll over the $3,000 raised during the Orlando
bus fund this year to the 2018 national convention bus fund rather than
dispersing the funds equally ($30 per person) to those individuals who will
be attending the national convention this year.  In other board business,
the board voted to set the preregistration fee for the 2017 state convention
which will be held in Greenville at the Hyatt Regency Hotel August 18-20 at
$80.  The deadline for preregistration is August 9, 2017.  After August 9,
registration will increase to $100.  This year the NFB of SC board of
directors voted to offer a discount for families with children regarding the
preregistration fee.  Parents will pay the $80 preregistration fee and each
child eight teen years of age and younger will pay $20.

              We have an announcement from Jamie Allison, Chairperson of the
Youth Recruitment committee.  "Calling all members! The Youth Recruitment
Committee of the NFB of SC Board of Directors seeks to start a mentoring
program within our state affiliate. The purpose of the program is to bring
in and strengthen new members within our organization of all ages, as well
as to reach out to the younger generation to impart guidance as they move
into leadership roles within it. We are going to have a phone-in on Tuesday,
May 16th at 8 pm to begin planning the program. If you are interested in
helping to get this program off of the "drawing board" and into reality,
please call in at the number below. The call is free. 1-218-339-7815, access
code 6524057"

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Greetings from beautiful Rocky Bottom!  We are enjoying some
leisure time.  I am advised by those with me that it has never been more
beautiful as the month of May brings out all of the greenery and beautiful
flowers.  Shortly after our arrival on Sunday afternoon our new Resident
Manager Linda Bible paid us a visit, enabling us to get acquainted.  I
believe that Linda will make a good Resident Manager as she certainly has
the right attitude about this program.

              I am sad to tell you that all of the resident ducks in the
Eddie Mae Lucas Memorial Pond have vacated with the exception of their
leader "JJ" who has the entire pond to himself.  We will be returning to
Columbia later this week and we will be celebrating Betty's 86th birthday
this Saturday.  Craig will be providing a birthday lunch for this special
occasion.  Already Betty is receiving birthday cards.  Our dear friend, Dr.
Sheila Breitweiser who was President of the School for the Deaf and the
Blind for a dozen years, always remembers Betty's birthday.  This year is no
exception.  After retiring as School President, Dr. Breitweiser moved to
Durham, North Carolina where she lives with her loved ones.

              With the 64th annual barbecue now history, no longer will I
have to write about this special event.  I know that this year's barbecue
was highly successful.  It will be a source of profits which will help
sponsor a variety of Columbia Chapter initiatives.   It is good to get this
project behind us and move on.  I'm proud of my fellow members who worked
hard to make this outstanding event successful.

              Speaking of being in Rocky Bottom, it has been five months
since our visit dating back to the Christmas Board Retreat.  Linda has been
making things special and I want to commend our new Resident Manager Linda
Bible for the positive things she has done during her short tenure.  She's a
very pleasant lady and all of us wish her well.

Final Thought:  Raising Expectations:  In May, nature brings forth her
flowers, new leaves and growth; a refreshing of the season and a forecast of
the summer to come.