[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1629

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Nov 1 12:40:07 UTC 2017

November 1, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              During the next few weeks, I will be contacting hotels in the
Columbia area for the purpose of determining a site for the 2018 NFB of SC
State convention.  Since state conventions have been held in Myrtle Beach
and Greenville during the last two years, I believe many members would
prefer the 2018 state convention be located in an area of the state which is
more convenient for all of our members to attend.  My plans are to read and
thoroughly discuss various hotel proposals with the NFB of SC Board of
Directors during our December 2, meeting at Rocky Bottom and discuss this
decision made by the State Board with the membership during the Statewide
Seminar which will be held on January 6, 2018.

              We have an announcement from Jennifer Bazer, Children's Camp
Director.  "Children's Camp of the Blind will be held June 10-16, 2018 at
Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind. The camp is for
legally blind children ages 6-16. Please contact Jennifer Bazer, Children's
Camp Director at 803-960-9977 or jhipp25 at sc.rr.com if you are interested in
learning more about the camp, wish to participate or become a junior
counselor. The online application will be available the first of 2018 for
free registration. The application deadline is June 1, 2018."

              We have an announcement from David Houck, Director of the
Federation Center.  "We may wish to remind our Positive Note Readers that we
still have a few NFB of SC coffee mugs with lids available for purchase at
$10 each and that we have some Myrtle Beach NFB of SC T-shirts in stock.
They are $13 each except for extra large sizes up to 3X which are $15 each.
Order now while we still have your size and wear them to the beach or give
them as gifts.  We have only had one convention in Myrtle Beach.  This is a
collector's item!"

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              One of the nicest pioneers in South Carolina who is well known
to the blind is our own Jenny Smith of Anderson.  Jenny is a member of the
Anderson Chapter where she has been an active volunteer since the early
1950's, as she and her late husband Jimmie were married in 1952.  Jimmie and
I attended SCSDB at the same time.  She had the adventure of growing up with
ten brothers and sisters, with her being the tenth.  Jenny lived in Anderson
all her life and attended public schools there.  Jenny and her husband
Jimmie had four very fine children.  All four are college graduates.  Here
is where they have been working:  Lynn is a successful practicing
Optometrist in Birmingham.  Melinda has her PhD and worked as Vice President
of TMK NE but she now works at the Atlanta headquarters of Chick-fil-A in
their research department.  Deborah lives in Anderson and worked on the
staff of AMED Health Rehabilitation Hospital and now works for Owen Rugs in
Anderson.  Steve is on the staff of Duke Power Company where he has been
employed for several decades at this electric company.  Married at age 15,
Jenny has always been an excellent money manager, beginning her career
shortly after her marriage to Jimmie.  Before establishing their upholstery
and furniture business, Jimmie worked for a few years with a blind friend
making mattresses.  Jenny and Jimmie were an excellent business team.  They
developed a large upholstery and furniture business, having to construct a
big building to accommodate their ever growing business.  Both having sound
judgment, they invested namely in property and other business opportunities.
Jenny still does some work and has lived in the same house for some 65
years.  Jenny has attended some 15 to 20 national conventions and 35 state
conventions of the federation.  Jenny has served the blind in many ways, in
transportation assistance, and in driving the van to RBRCCB for the annual
Lions fishing expeditions.  Jenny was also the recipient of the 1989
Associate Member of the Year Award, demonstrating her commitment to the
blind over several decades.  A member of the Anderson Lions Club, she enjoys
her participation in this civic organization.  She has also served as the
President and First Vice President of the Anderson Lions Club.  The entire
Smith family has been very generous to RBRCCB.  One bedroom in the
Conference Center is named in memory of Jimmie Smith, as he passed away in
March 2003, and a second room is named in memory of her parents, Mr. & Mrs.
Madden.  There was also a contribution to the children's playground.  Her
hobbies include quilting, gardening and raising flowers.  She is a member of
a local Presbyterian Church.  This is an extraordinary lady and while she is
an Associate member having her sight, she is qualified to be in the
spotlight in this week's Positive Note.  Her immediate family loves her and
so does her federation family.

Final Thought:  Live the life you want - Our NFB President Mark Riccobono
got his start by driving a car around the Daytona International Speedway a
few years ago, which reminds me that it was Henry Ford who once stated,
"Auto racing began as soon as the second car rolled off the assembly line."