[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1631

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Nov 15 13:44:22 UTC 2017

November 15, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              We still have not heard from some of you as to whether you are
planning to attend the 2017 Christmas Board Retreat which will be held at
Rocky Bottom December 1, 2, and 3.  This will be a busy time since we will
be holding two Board meetings beginning with the RBRCCB Board of Directors
meeting Saturday morning, December 2, at 9:30 a.m. which will be followed by
the NFB of SC Board of Directors meeting on Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.
Saturday evening will be a time for observing the Christmas season, as we
sing Christmas carols, fellowship, and sample delicious desserts.  If you
wish to participate in the Christmas gift exchange Saturday evening, ladies
will need to bring a ladies' gift and men will need to bring a men's gift.
The cost of the Christmas gift should be a minimum of $10.  I hope we will
have a large turnout for the weekend.  Make plans to be there!

              I am very sad to report Jerry Whittle, a longtime leader of
the National Federation of the blind passed away Friday, November 10, in
Ruston Louisiana.  Jerry began his Federation journey in South Carolina
while he was a student at Clemson University during the late 1970's.  My
first wife, Gail, and I became acquainted with Jerry in 1979 at a Student
Division meeting in Columbia at the Federation Center.  We became friends
and worked closely together on a number of local and state Federation
activities.  Throughout the years, I have had the opportunity to speak to
Jerry at NFB national conventions and I have enjoyed attending many of his
plays performed by the students from the Louisiana Center for the Blind.  I
was very excited for Jerry and his wife, Marilyn, when they received the
2016 Jacobus tenBroek Award from Dr. Maurer during the NFB banquet in
recognition of their outstanding work in the field of blindness and their
continued desire to encourage blind people "to live the life they want".
There are many other memories I could share regarding Jerry, however, I will
conclude my portion of the Positive Note by saying Jerry Whittle was a
friend and a colleague who believed very strongly in the potential and
abilities of his fellow blind and who worked tirelessly to improve the
quality of life of blind people.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               I was in real shock to be notified by our good friend
Marshall Tucker of the death of Jerry Whittle, age 70, occurring last
Friday, November 10.  It's my understanding his sudden death was due to an
eruption of a cerebral aneurism.  He and his wife Merilynn were residing in
Ruston, Louisiana at the time of his death.  It's my understanding Jerry had
been retired just a short while ago.  We first met Jerry in the late 1970's
when we were attempting to organize a chapter in the Oconee County area. A
dinner meeting was held in Westminster on December 3, 1977 and Jerry was in
attendance.  Not only was he present for the dinner meeting, he wound up
being elected President.  Prior to this dinner meeting, I had talked with
Jerry about his discouragement concerning his blindness.  He soon snapped
out of his discouragement to become a federationist for life.  He was in the
federation for 40 years from December 1977 to November 2017.  Jerry loved
Rocky Bottom having served as the first voluntary caretaker in 1979.  He
used room 5 in Osterneck Cottage which became known as the Oconee Room.
Demonstrating his acting skills, he participated in the "Glass Menagerie"
written by Tennessee Williams, which was performed by an all blind cast in
the historic Dr. Samuel Miller Lawton Hall.  A happy incident occurred
involving Jerry when he accidentally got two inches too close to the edge of
the stage, but he hopped up so quickly I hardly noticed the difference.
Jerry worked at the Federation Center a short while but recognizing the need
for a maximum education, he graduated from Clemson University and
subsequently received his Masters from the University of Tennessee.  By that
time Jerry had many successful blind acquaintances including Joanne Wilson
who headed the Louisiana Center for the Blind.  It was these contacts which
would mold the highly successful career for Jerry.  He also became the First
Vice President of the NFB of Louisiana.  He wrote a play which was performed
at the NFB national convention which provided much needed funding.  Jerry
was known nationally for his federation activity.  He would go on to be the
recipient of the highest NFB award at the 2016 NFB convention banquet, the
Jacobus tenBroek Award.  As he often did, he gave credit to others, whereas
it was apparent he was primarily responsible for their success.  Even during
the presentation of the Jacobus tenBroek Award at the NFB convention in
2016, Jerry gave credit to others including myself.  We are very
appreciative of this incident.  While we certainly will muss Jerry, he had
been a beloved figure to his friends nationally.  We extend condolences to
his lovely wife Merilynn who was always at his side.

Final Thought:  Be thankful for being able to live the life you want because
of the Federation which laid the groundwork since 1944.

OBITUARY-Jerry Whittle

              Jerry Whittle was born on January 10, 1947 in Seneca, South
Carolina, and passed away on November 10, 2017 surrounded by family and
friends. He was preceded in death by his parents, Delzie Cleo McGuffin
Whittle and Ambus "Pat" Whittle; his sister, Patsy Louise Whittle; and by
his first wife, Karin Winkle Whittle.

              He is survived by his dear wife Merilynn Whittle; daughter
Christina Ann Richardson Pedro and spouse John Pedro II; son John Bee
Richardson and spouse Laurie Ann Lusk ; grandchildren Xavier Pedro, Giana
Pedro, Tessa Boyle, Jonathan Richardson, and Sara Elizabeth Richardson;
several great-grandchildren; nephews and niece Roger "Dale" Chrisley, Danus
Chrisley, Marilyn Jane "Janie" Chrisley Davis; brother-in-law Miles "Smoky"
Chrisley; cousins Mary Venaas, Joan Dunlap, Jimmy Powell, Wayne Powell,
Ronnie Phillips, and many others; and the countless students to whom he
served as a mentor and father figure.

              Mr. Whittle was a proud graduate of Clemson University, where
he earned a degree in English, and from the University of Tennessee in
Knoxsville where he earned a master's degree in Creative Writing. While he
held various occupations throughout his lifetime, his passion for language
and literacy led him to teach braille at the Louisiana Center for the Blind
for over three decades.  He worked with over 1,000 students, giving them the
gift of braille literacy, and taught countless teachers and blindness
professionals that braille literacy is a key for success for blind children
and adults.  Through his work in the National Federation of the Blind, Mr.
Whittle was also able to transform countless other lives and serve in many
leadership positions, both in Louisiana and nationally. His signature sense
of humor, his willingness to share his life experiences, and his ability to
establish genuine connections with people from all walks of life positioned
him as an icon in the blind community.

              Jerry loved baseball, gardening, reading, writing, and
bluegrass. He often persuaded Merilynn to bake him cornbread or apple pie,
two of his favorites. He was an engaging public speaker, a gifted braille
teacher, a prolific author and playwright, a loyal friend, and a deeply
faithful Christian. Yet, the essence of his life is only partially captured
by these qualities. The life that Jerry Whittle led was one of sacrifice,
service, and spirit. With his incomparable wit, and his unwavering devotion
to the people that he loved, the influence that Jerry Whittle has had on
this world will undoubtedly ring energetically for generations to come.

              The writings of William Faulkner always remained close to Mr.
Whittle's heart. "You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to
lose sight of the shore." With these words from his beloved author, we begin
to say good-bye to our teacher, mentor, and friend. Beyond this, these words
remind us to live with the courage and determination that Mr. Whittle both
embodied and challenged each of us to achieve in our own lives.

              Visitation is on Monday, November 13, 2017, from 5:00-7:00 pm
at Kilpatrick Funeral Home in Ruston, Louisiana.  A second visitation and
burial will be held in South Carolina, with visitation and services held at
Duckett-Robinson Funeral Home in Central, South Carolina.  Visitation will
be from 5:00 - 7:00pm on November 18th and again on November 19th from
1:00-2:00pm.  The funeral services will be held at 2:00pm on November 19th.
He will be buried at Memory Gardens in Clemson, South Carolina.

              In lieu of flowers, you may make a donation to the Buddy
Program of the Louisiana Center for the Blind at www.louisianacenter.org.