[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1625

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 4 12:47:10 UTC 2017

October 4, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Yesterday, October 3, I had the pleasure of attending and
participating in a day long workshop entitled “Insight into Blindness; A
Celebration of Blindness Awareness Month” sponsored by the SC Talking Book
Services.  Robbie Copp, Director of Advocacy and Community Access; ABLE SC,
discussed the ADA and Accommodation.  I along with Shannon Cook and Cali
Sandel participated on a panel entitled “Blindness Sensitivity and Service
Animal Etiquette “.  The keynote speaker for the workshop was Erica Powell,
Inspirational Professional Speaker, Disability Advocate, and EQUIP
Coordinator; ABLE SC.  Many of you may remember Ms. Powell speaking at our
2016 State Wide Seminar on her experiences as a blind cheerleader for
Clemson University.  The last agenda item of the day was a presentation by
Steve Cook entitled “JAWS and Computer Accessibility”.  The NFB of SC and
NFB of SC Successful Transitions were two of the many exhibitors who were
present at the workshop.  Hats off to Kaitlyn Hodges, staff member of the SC
Talking Book Services, for doing an excellent job planning and conducting
this very worthwhile event.

              We have an announcement from Loretta Green, President of the
Upper Dorchester County Chapter, regarding her chapter’s activity for Meet
the Blind Month.  “The Upper Dorchester Chapter will sponsor their annual
walkathon on Saturday, October 7 at 9 AM at the Woodland High School track
field.  We are asking for five dollars for every half mile walked.  Our goal
is to walk 2 miles.   Anyone interested in pledging or participating in the
walk please contact Loretta Green, chapter president.”  We also have an
announcement from   Lenora Robertson, President of the Rock Hill Chapter
regarding her chapter’s activities for Meet the Blind Month.  “The Rock Hill
Chapter kicked off Meet the Blind Month Saturday evening, September 30, by
participating in “Dancing with the Stars”. The chapter also plans to sell
World’s Finest Chocolate bars, and they will hold a pancake breakfast at
Fatz Café on Saturday morning, October 14.  I believe hosting a Meet the
Blind Month activity in your community is extremely important and this is
why I take time to share this type of information with all of you in the
Positive Note.

              I apologize for not reporting who won the Fun Day ticket
raffle held on September 2, during the Fun Day Festival held at Rocky
Bottom.  Jim Carter, a friend of the Rock Hill Chapter, won $50 as he sold
the winning ticket to his five month old granddaughter.  The Carter family
donated their $550 winnings to the Rock Hill Chapter van fund.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Today we are pleased to spotlight another excellent chapter
President in the Positive Note, namely Constance Miller, President of our
Belvedere Chapter.  You will recall a few years ago when RBRCCB began to
raise funds for the new mattresses and box springs in the Ellenburg Lodge
bedrooms that Constance Miller and the Belvedere Chapter members were the
first to chip in, raising $500 toward this worthy project.  The Belvedere
Chapter has always loved and supported Rocky Bottom over the years.
Constance Miller was raised in Augusta, Georgia, and graduated from Westside
High School in 1981.  She had worked in retail for many years. When she lost
her driving privileges due to Retinitis Pigmentosa, a co-worker from another
job recommended that she apply for Housekeeping at University Hospital so
that she could move to the downtown area of Augusta, and be within walking
distance of her job, and public transportation. Constance applied and
eventually was hired for employment with the hospital.  It was during this
time she met her husband, Carey Miller, and with great support from him,
family and friends, she went through adjustment with blindness training,
eventually graduating from Augusta State University in 1999.

      Constance Miller moved to North Augusta in 2000, and met Mrs. Kaney,
who was then President of our Belvedere Chapter, and she encouraged
Constance to join.  Constance also started to work with the Older Blind
Program at the SC Commission for the Blind in 2001. She learned many
valuable lessons in the Older Blind Program and through the Belvedere
Chapter. She left the Belvedere Chapter in 2004 and left the Commission in
2005.

      Her husband Carey has two sons, Kevin is married to Tomasina and they
live in New Ellenton, SC.  Tomasina has helped our Chapter from time to time
with fundraisers.  Carey's other son is Jason, and his wife is Robin, they
live in Seneca, SC.  Jason had served in the Army Reserves for many years.
Carey and Constance have enjoyed their travels throughout the United States
and have met many people along the way. They both enjoy photography and
helping out wherever they could. They support the NFB, as well as community
organizations.

      Throughout all of this time, Mrs. Kaney maintained contact with
Constance and Carey, demonstrating and talking about the benefits of coming
back to the NFB.  Constance and Carey both joined in 2013.  They went to the
National Convention this year, and it was a blessing to see so many
Federationists in one area, with great enthusiasm and independence, as well
as relying upon each other for support. They also attended the State
Convention in Greenville, and listened to our dedicated members and keynote
speakers informing us of what is going on with our Federation and the other
opportunities that are available to us. Taking note that we must continue to
build membership to get the word out about the NFB, we cannot be individual
chapters without continuing the movement and being a part of the State and
National. We discussed the need to continue to support Rocky Bottom Retreat
and Conference Center as well.

      Carey and Constance attend Grace United Methodist Church in North
Augusta, SC. This is the church her husband grew up in and they were married
in 2004. During their last NFB Belvedere Christmas gathering the chapter
attended our church for “Return to Bethlehem”. A joyful time indeed.  At
this writing Constance Miller says there are times when she reflects back on
who our past chapter presidents have been, and all of our members.  She is
truly in awe of them, and of their dedication through the years to the NFB
of SC and the Belvedere Chapter.  Yes, like the rest of our fellow
Federationisst she is still learning, and that's the best mode to be in!!!!

Final Thought:  When was the last time you spoke to a blind person about the
Federation and how they can learn to “Live the life they want?’