[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1628

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 25 12:42:05 UTC 2017

October 23, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              During the past month Rocky Bottom has greatly benefited as
the recipient of much needed repairs done by volunteers from various civic
and church organizations.  A few weeks ago, a group from the Salem Lions
Club, longtime friends of Rocky Bottom, spent an entire day repairing and
replacing the railings around The Samuel M. Lawton Hall as well as building
a railing along the trail nearest to the pond.  This past weekend, a small
group of volunteers from Mt. Hebron United Methodist Church in West Columbia
arrived at Rocky Bottom Thursday afternoon, October 19.  This is the fourth
time the missions team from Mt. Hebron has come to volunteer their services
at Rocky Bottom and I am told they did a wonderful job in the Ellenburg
Lodge completing such tasks as painting the outside deck, replacing five
exhaust fans and shower heads in many of the bathrooms, painting one of the
bed rooms, and replacing caulking in the kitchen.  I would like to
especially recognize Ed and Julie Bible, David Bundy, and Jennifer Bazer who
are members of Mt. Hebron United Methodist Church and who continue to play
an instrumental role in the partnership between the Church and Rocky Bottom.
Also this past weekend, a number of Boy Scouts and their leaders from Troop
425 in Lexington, South Carolina volunteered their services at Rocky Bottom
by clearing out the trail located near the pond.  They are planning to
return to Rocky Bottom in the near future to clear out other hiking trails
located around our property.  Linda Bible tells me this coming weekend, a
group from Holland Street Baptist Church located in West Columbia will be
volunteering their services at Rocky Bottom.  They are planning to bring a
group of workers to power wash the deck on the back side of the Conference
Center as well as doing much needed grounds keeping around the banks of the
creeks which border our property.

              Throughout the years, Rocky Bottom has benefited a great deal
by having many wonderful individuals and organizations volunteer their
services at our facilities.  We owe a great deal of gratitude and
appreciation to these individuals and organizations for their hard work and
their continued support of Rocky Bottom.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               The weekly Positive Note has now entered its 32nd year of
continued service to the blind of the state.  Its inception was in August of
1986.  At that time the primary purpose was to disseminate up-to-date
information without delay.  For many years now it has grown in service
concerning information in numerous areas with the state President Frank
Coppel leading the way.  I feel privileged to be able to participate
primarily in saluting members across the state for their service.  The NFB
of SC has many dedicated and committed members who we believe are
unsurpassed across the country.  From time to time over the years we have
received responses from those members who have been "spotlighted" showing
genuine appreciation.  Recently we received the following responses from two
of our spotlight members.  Here are the following:

"From Jamie Allison, September 26, 2018 Good afternoon,

              Dr. Capps, I want to offer a heartfelt and sincere thank you
for choosing me to spotlight on this week's positive note. I still feel like
I am a NFB rookie in comparison to so many of my Federation heroes who have
been working for many years to advance the organization and the rights and
roles of blind citizens. It was quite an honor to be chosen and I was pretty
taken aback when David called me to get the information you would need to
write the piece. I really enjoy reading the Positive Note each week and want
to also thank you for taking the time to contribute to it. Know that mom and
I both think of you and Betty almost daily and we are constantly praying for
you both.

              David, let me also think you for your hard work in assisting
President Coppel and Dr. Capps with getting the Positive Note produced and
sent out each week. I know there is a lot of time and effort that goes into
it and it is much appreciated!

:From Winnifred Spears, September 27, 2017  Dear Dr. Capps:

              Lenora had the article in the "Positive Note" read at our
meeting.  Thank you for such a nice article on me.  It has been a pleasure
to volunteer; otherwise I would not have met so many great people and
friends.  Our chapter is small but we are going strong.  We want to figure
out how to get some young people interested.

              Last week I spent a few days in my favorite place, that's
right, in Rocky Bottom.  It was my second visit this year.  With this being
the Autumn season, God's creation was evident everywhere.  This was
highlighted with the outstanding weather we had.  Upon our arrival we were
greeted by the fine Resident Manager, Linda Bible who advised me that JJ,
our resident duck, still resides in the Eddie Mae Lucas Webb Memorial Pond.
JJ has a new girlfriend.  More power to him.

Final Thought:  Live the life you want -  Be an example for others to
follow.