[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1623

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 20 12:24:22 UTC 2017

September 20, 2017

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Hello from Rocky Bottom where the 2017 Fall session of Senior
Camp is in full swing.  Twenty-three seniors from all corners of the state
arrived at Rocky Bottom on Sunday afternoon.  The weather this week has been
perfect and the seniors have enjoyed activities such as walks, BINGO, group
discussions, individualized blindness skills training, a trip to Aunt Sue's,
and visiting with each other on the deck of the Conference Center.  As
usual, Lenora Robertson and her "food crew" have done an outstanding job and
most of us probably have gained a few pounds during camp this past week.

              It is time to turn our attention toward Meet the Blind Month
which is held during the month of October.  This is an extremely important
event, because it provides our members the opportunity to educate the public
of the programs and services offered by the National Federation of the
Blind.  Meet the Blind Month activities can also be used as a recruitment
tool to introduce blind individuals to our organization.  It is my hope our
chapters are planning activities in their respective communities to promote
this worthwhile event.  Thus far, I am aware the Columbia Chapter is
planning a "step It Up walk" on Saturday morning, October 14.  The walk will
take place at the Drew Wellness Walkers Track on Harden St.  Registration
begins at 8:30 and the walk begins at 9 a.m.  Cost to walk is $20.  Also, I
am aware the Belvedere chapter is planning to hold a White Cane Walk
sometime during the month of October.  Let me know if your chapter will be
having a Meet the Blind Month activity and I will be glad to share this
information in the Positive Note.

              During the next few days, all of you should be receiving your
2018 Orlando National Convention bus tickets.  Let's do all we can to raise
the approximate $7,500 which will be needed to charter one bus to the
National Convention in Orlando.  As we have done previously, bus tickets
will cost $1.  Remember, the buyer of the winning ticket which will be drawn
on January 6, 2018 at the Statewide Seminar will win $300, the seller of the
winning ticket will receive $100, and the Chapter selling the most tickets
will win $300.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              We are pleased to spotlight in this week's Positive Note an
individual who we first met when she was only eleven or twelve years old. I
was then recruiting area blind individuals during the early years of the
Cherokee County Chapter.  I'm referring to Jamie Allison who is the very
bright President of the Cherokee County Chapter of the NFB of SC.  She was
raised in Gaffney and has lived there all her life.  She was the first blind
student to be mainstreamed in the Cherokee County public schools and
graduated from Gaffney High School.  Jamie continued her education at
Limestone College where she received a Bachelor of Arts degree in K-12 Arts
Education.  She was also listed in Who's Who in Colleges and Universities.
Jamie began teaching at the SC School for the Blind which lasted for 15
years.  However, it was not long after she began teaching that she received
her Master's degree in Arts Administration from Winthrop University.  Over
the past four years Jamie Allison was the lead instructor in the South
Carolina BELL Academy and she is now working with the Successful Transitions
program as a team member.  Jamie and her mother first met with me when she
was about eleven or twelve and was recruited into the newly formed Cherokee
County Chapter.  Since that time she has served as chapter Secretary, Vice
President and President.  Jamie is also a member of the Board of Directors
of the NFB of SC.  Jamie has attended at least 15 state conventions and two
national conventions, not to mention Rocky Bottom Board Retreats.  Being
oriented toward the arts, she has interests in drawing, painting, playing
the drums, and dance classes.  Her attitude is always upbeat and positive.
She is truly living the life she wants.

Final Thought:  Education in a good blindness philosophy and training in the
unique skills of braille, cane travel and adaptive technology creates
independence among blind seniors, enhancing their quality of life and
volunteer capacity to share what they have learned with other blind people.