[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1652

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 11 13:06:21 UTC 2018

April 11, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              On Friday, April 6, Shelley and I along with fifty other
Federationists from across the state, traveled to Baltimore, Maryland for
the purpose of visiting our National headquarters of the NFB.  Members
representing seven chapters, (Columbia, Charleston, Upper Dorchester County,
Belvedere, Lancaster, Sumter, and Lee County) comprised one of the largest
groups to ever attend the Jernigan Institute from South Carolina.  I was
very pleased to have NFB of SC State officers Second Vice President, Debra
Canty, Secretary, Dorothy Barksdale, and state board members Isaiah Nelson,
Loretta Green, Tiffiny Mitchell, and Linda Dizzley joining us on the trip.
We were also pleased to have David Houck, Executive Director of the
Federation Center of the Blind, and his wife Darleen in attendance as well.
When we finally arrived to the Jernigan Institute late Friday evening, we
were warmly met by staff who showed us to our rooms and who had prepared a
wonderful meal waiting for us upon our arrival.  The day long program began
at 8:00 Saturday morning with a recorded message from President Riccobono,
who could not be with us as he was attending the state convention of the NFB
of Missouri.  President Riccobono's outstanding message will appear as an
audio file on the NFB of SC list serve and on our website in the very near
future.  I encourage all of you to listen to what our national president had
to say.  The remainder of the morning was spent discussing NFB philosophy
and taking a tour of our National Center.  During the afternoon session, the
group heard from various staff members regarding Newsline, programs and
activities of the Jernigan Institute, and advocacy and policy.  Saturday
evening, some of our group visited the Harbor area in Baltimore where we ate
dinner either at the Cheese Cake Factory or Phillips Seafood Restaurant.
Others remained at the center and enjoyed the fellowship and relaxation
after a very busy day.  Maurice Peret, our excellent host for the weekend,
did a wonderful job planning the agenda for Saturday and making certain our
needs were address throughout the weekend.  Since returning from our trip, I
have received a great deal of positive feedback from those who attended this
weekend and I feel each person has a better understanding of our goals,
purpose and philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind.  For some of
our members, the seminar sparked a renewed feeling of ownership and
commitment to improve the quality of life of blind people.  I would like to
thank Tiffiny Mitchell and Shelley Coppel for all of their assistance this
past weekend.  A very special thanks goes to Isaiah Nelson and Loretta Green
who did an outstanding job organizing and planning the Baltimore trip.
During the morning session of the program two very important questions were
asked of each individual in the group which I believe set the tone for the
entire weekend.  The questions were: "Why do you need the NFB, and, "Why
does the NFB need you."  These are two questions all of us need to think a
great deal about, if we want to continue to build a Federation.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              The 65th annual barbecue sponsored by the Columbia Chapter
will take place on Thursday, April 26.  The first barbecue held at the
Federation Center was in 1962 or some 56 years ago.  This has become a huge
project but the proceeds are highly profitable and this helps us to assist
the blind in various ways.  Our Columbia Chapter President, Tiffiny Mitchell
is doing a great job in coordinating this year's barbecue fundraiser.  I am
especially proud of the members who are participating in the three night
canvas.  For instance, in the first of three nights of canvassing, there
were 17 canvassers and their guides who canvassed neighborhood streets
nearby the Federation Center on Tuesday evening, April 10..  The weather was
not good for canvassing.  When everyone returned to the Center and the
totals were tallied, 118 barbecue tickets were sold totaling $1,180 plus
$458 was collected in donations, totaling some $1,638.  There are still two
more nights of canvassing on Thursday, April 12 and Monday, April 16.
Columbia Chapter members are also working hard selling tickets on their own.
Thus far, my own ticket sales and donations are coming along nicely.  I have
found it necessary to work harder this year than in the past in order to
meet the goal that I have established.  This project has been ongoing since
the middle of March consuming a lot of time and effort.  Both our blind and
sighted members give considerably of their time and energy in this great and
worthwhile undertaking.

Final Thought:   "Barbecue brings out the best in people."