[Nfbofsc] Promoting the Braille Monitor at your chapter meetings

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 22:49:42 UTC 2018

Steve Cook

President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the NFB of SC

1st Vice President of the Columbia Chapter of the NFB of SC

Dear Colleagues in this fantastic movement we share:

I am asking for your help in your role as a chapter president. You are the
key to good communication, and I am in the business of communicating. I hope
you will talk with your chapter about the Braille Monitor. Believe it or
not, the flagship publication of our Federation has a name that people know,
but too many people do not receive it.

What is the Braille Monitor? It is your magazine. We share what's going on
in the Federation. We talk about the problems blind people face and how they
have gotten around them. Why are there so few blind people in the theater
and on television. The Braille Monitor has been explaining the problem and
looking to the hearts and minds of our people to figure out how to crash
through this glass ceiling. When do simulations of blindness help and when
do they hurt us? This we have been exploring in the pages of the magazine
you and I share. What is it like to feel afraid to travel, and how does it
feel when you realize you can? Your magazine tells this story again and
again, both because it is an important story and because there are so many
variations of it that reach the hearts of blind and sighted people.

Please subscribe to your magazine. You can get it in Braille, in print, or
on a thumb drive with recorded audio in a great human voice. You can read it
on NFB-Newsline, through email, on the web as HTML, or on the web as audio.
We make each issue a podcast you can find by searching for the Braille
Monitor.

How do you subscribe? Start by sending an email to publications at nfb.org
<mailto:publications at nfb.org>  and telling us whether you want Braille,
audio, print, or email. We will see that you get the Braille Monitor in the
form you desire. Don't forget that we also want your contributions. Send
them to me by writing to gwunder at nfb.org <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org> . You may
also call me at 410-659-9314, extension 2360.

We enjoy a common bond in the Federation, and our joint effort works best
when we share our knowledge, our hopes, and our dreams. Our magazine tries
to do this, and we need you as readers and contributors. Thank you for
inviting me into your chapter meeting and for giving me the time to ask that
you talk about and subscribe to the magazine that is for you and depends on
your readership and your written contributions.

Warmly,

Gary Wunder, editor

gwunder at nfb.org <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org>