[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1654

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 25 12:35:22 UTC 2018

April 25, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              The RBRCCB Board of Directors and the NFB of SC Board of
Directors discussed during their meetings on Saturday, April 21, our
participation in the Midlands Gives fund raising program.

              What is Midlands Gives?  Hosted by Central Carolina Community
Foundation, Midlands Gives is a 24-hour online giving event that brings the
region together as one community, raising money and awareness for local
nonprofits in 11 Midlands counties.

              When is Midlands Gives?  Midlands Gives will take place online
on Tuesday, May 1, 2018, from 12:00 am to 11:59:59pm, Eastern Time.

              How does it work?  Central Carolina Community Foundation has
set up an online giving platform at MidlandsGives.org with searchable
profiles of participating nonprofits. All donations will be processed
through this website, which allows nonprofits and donors to track the giving
on May 1st via the site's leaderboards.

              If you would like to donate to Rocky Bottom Retreat and
Conference Center, click on the below link.
https://www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom  If you would like to donate to
the National Federation of the Blind of SC (NFB of SC), click on the below

https://www.midlandsgives.org/NFBOFSC

              This year, Jennifer Bazer and staff from the Successful
Transitions program will be stationed in several locations around Columbia
on May 1, to raise funds through Midland Gives to assist Rocky Bottom.  If
you are uncomfortable using a computer to make a donation or do not have
one, you can call the Federation Center, (803) 254-3777 on Tuesday, May 1,
and we will assist you with your donation.  I am asking all chapter and
division presidents to please share this information with your members and I
strongly encourage all of us to make a concerted effort to spread this
information to local businesses, neighbors, friends, and family which will
greatly help to financially support Rocky Bottom and the NFB of SC with this
wonderful fund raising opportunity!

              If you have not done so already, please make your reservations
for the upcoming 2018 Orlando National Convention.  The date of this year's
national convention will be July 3, to July 8, 2018 and will be held at the
Rosen Shingle Creek Resort.  The 2018 room rates are singles and doubles,
$88; and triples and quads, $93. In addition to the room rates there will be
a tax, which at present is 12.5 percent. No charge will be made for children
under seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is
requested. Please note that the hotel is a no-smoking facility.

              For 2018 convention room reservations you can call the hotel
at (866) 996-6338. You may also write directly to the Rosen Shingle Creek,
9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. The hotel will want a
deposit of $100 for each room and will want a credit card number or a
personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged
against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a $100 check.
If a reservation is cancelled before Friday, June, 1, 2018, half of the
deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

              It is time for you to preregister online for the 2018 NFB
National Convention in Orlando Florida.  If you preregister prior to May 31,
registration for convention will cost $25 and a banquet ticket will cost
$65.  After May 31, the cost for convention registration will increase to
$30 and the cost of a banquet ticket will increase to $70.  Save $10 and
also skip the need to stand in line for a long period of time at the
convention by purchasing your convention registration and banquet ticket by
the May 31 deadline.  To mail in your preregistration please download the
pdf version and mail to NFB no later than May 31st.  Please Note: All
convention preregistration and banquet sales are final.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               It's finally here - that's right - this Thursday the 65th
annual barbecue will be held as usual at the Federation Center of the Blind.
Speaking of the Center, over the weekend we were looking at some old
pictures, mainly of family members, going back as far as the 1940's.  There
were several pictures of Betty when she was a teenager and she was
beautiful.  Some years ago, Betty had put these pictures in safe keeping and
even though some pictures were as much as 75 years old, they were still in
good shape.  While most of the pictures were of family, there were a few
federation pictures.  One of the pictures we ran across was of the April
1961 groundbreaking ceremony of the Federation Center as its construction
was commenced at that time.  It took six months to build the Center.  It was
dedicated on October 15, 1961.  In the groundbreaking picture it included
both federation and other officials including Senator Hyman Rubin who
secured land from the City of Columbia to build the Center.  Senator Rubin
also provided a substantial amount of funding.  The picture of the
groundbreaking appeared in The State newspaper and it may be the only news
clipping now available with so much time having elapsed.  In a few days we
plan to take the newspaper clipping to the Federation Center and place it in
the board room/library.  It will be available for anyone to review including
the groundbreaking ceremony article.  Nine years later in 1970 the first
expansion was constructed.  Eight years later in 1978 the second expansion
was completed.  The Center is the hub of the NFB of SC and its affiliates.
There is another significant development which occurred and I want to share
it with you.  During the 1983 barbecue the Center's Board of Directors
interviewed a handsome young couple for the Executive Director's position.
David Houck and his lovely wife Darlene were interviewed by the board and
after an excellent presentation, the board voted unanimously to hire David.
That decision has proved to be one of the best things which happened in the
NFB of SC to all concerned.  David went to work as Executive Director on
April 29, 1983.  David has participated in all 35 of the barbecues.  Darlene
is right by his side.  I believe we are going to have a good turnout for the
barbecue this Thursday.  I believe I had a good year.  Final Thought - "The
harder I work, the luckier I get."

Final Thought:   "The larger the mass of food, the more energy it will take
to cook. This energy input should be distributed over a larger time period
or the surface of the food will receive a disproportionate amount of that
energy." - Albert Einstein (He's clearly referring to low- and- slow cooking
here)