[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1668

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 1 13:12:25 UTC 2018

August 1, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Here are a few friendly reminders regarding this year's state
convention which is only nine days away.

1.           Please do not forget to come and participate in the NFB of SC
Board of Directors meeting which will be held on Friday afternoon, August
10, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. in Capital I.

2.           Of course, Lenora Robertson of Rock Hill is the Chairperson of
the Door Prize Committee.  All door prizes ($5 or more) should be given to
Lenora soon after you arrive at the State Convention.

3.           Please continue to consider how much you and your chapter would
like to financially give to the banquet fundraiser Saturday evening which
will greatly help to strengthen the NFB of SC.

4.           I have again asked Dorothy Barksdale to be responsible for the
Memorial service which is usually held on Sunday morning at the convention.
Please send Dorothy the names of those members who passed away since last
year's state convention.  Dorothy can be reached at (803) 765-1622 or you
can email her at dcbarksdale at bellsouth.net

5.           The deadline to pay your $80 preregistration fee is August 3,
which is only couple of days away.  Please mail your $80 preregistration fee
for this year's State Convention to the Federation Center of the Blind, 119
S. Kilbourne Rd. Columbia, SC 29205.  All preregistration fees are
nonrefundable and nontransferable.  If you wait until after the deadline of
August 3, the registration will increase to $100.

6.           This year, the exhibit area will be open from 10:00 a.m. to
6:00 p.m. Friday, August 10.  Please make an effort to visit the exhibit
area and let the exhibitors know you appreciate their participation in our
convention.

7.              Openings still remain if you would like to participate
Saturday afternoon, in the "NFB has talent showcase".  All talent is
welcome!  If you would like to participate, please call Shelley Coppel at
(803) 796-8662 or email her at frankandshelley51 at gmail.com.

              The end of summer is always a busy time in the NFB of SC.
Three weeks after the conclusion of the state convention, federationists
from across the state will be traveling to RBRCCB on August 31, to
participate in the Fun Day Festival.  Most of us will be arriving on Friday
evening, August 31.  Four meals will be served including three on Saturday,
September 1, and breakfast on Sunday morning, September 2.  The board voted
to charge $30 for adults and $15 for children under twelve years of age to
cover all four meals including the lunch on Saturday.  Those individuals who
are only attending the Fun Day Festival Saturday will need to pay Valerie
and Larry Warrington $8 for lunch.  Room reservations for the weekend are
taken on a first-come, first-served basis.  If you need to make a
reservation for the Fun Day weekend, you can call the Federation Center
(803) 254-3777 or call me (803) 796-8662 no later than August 24.  I hope
that you are selling your $5 Fun Day tickets as this contributes to the
profits.  Remember, the winning ticket drawn will yield $50 to the seller
and $500 to the buyer or $550 if you bought your own ticket.  The chapter
selling the most tickets will receive $300 for its treasury!  We need to
bring new items for the auction which will take place on Saturday afternoon
September 1, starting at 1:30 p.m.  Let's have a great turnout for the Fun
Day Festival as Rocky Bottom very much needs our financial support.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Last week public television did a 60th year documentary on Ted
Williams.  It is genuinely believed that Mr. Williams was the greatest
baseball hitter of all time.  His entire career was with the Boston Red Sox.
At the present time all-time greats include such players as Joe DiMaggio,
Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, etc.  The 1958 NFB
convention was held in Boston, MA.  Four delegates from the NFB of SC
attended the 1958 convention.  They included Lois Boltin Tucker, the late
John Cooley of the Spartanburg Chapter, and Billy Potter with my being the
fourth attendee.  Betty was unable to make the trip as she was only a month
away from giving birth to our second child.  Her physician was correct as
Beth was born on August 7, 1958.  The four of us boarded the train in
Columbia and a strange incident occurred shortly after boarding the train as
the conductor insisted he take me to the rest room.  After this went on for
an excessive time, I finally told the conductor my problem was blindness and
I do not have any kidney ailment.  I also told him I knew the way to the
rest room.  To this day I do not what caused him to pester me.  Upon our
arrival to the convention hotel we discovered that none other than Ted
Williams resided in the same hotel.  He was not outgoing but he was polite.
By the way, Mr. Williams was a loyal American, participating for a total of
five years in World War II and the North Korean War.  I managed to shake his
hand in the hotel lobby.  I had the good fortune of attending a baseball
game in historic Fenway Park participated in by the Red Sox team.  This was
my third NFB convention.  The first two being in San Francisco and New
Orleans.  I recall the issue of creating a limited number of terms in the
NFB constitution.  I supported the administration who did not support
limited terms and I spoke supporting unlimited terms.  The administration's
position won by a large margin.  Dr. Jacobus tenBroek, NFB Founder, gave me
my first assignment, placing me on a special study committee in West
Virginia called for by the Governor and carried out by the NFB.  This
special team lasted a week, affecting my work situation and having to find
someone to take care of the children as Betty did all of the driving as we
visited several blind West Virginians.  The 1959 convention, held in Santa
Fe, was when I received my second national assignment.  Much to my surprise,
I was not only elected to the national board but I was also elected to the
Second Vice President's office.  You will note that my participation in the
1958 NFB convention was followed by further development in the national
organization.  It all got its beginning 60 years ago in Boston which is also
a famously historical American city.  Ironically enough, the Boston Red Sox
now features a star outfielder who attended and played baseball from the
Gamecocks who is Jackie Bradley, Jr.

Final Thought:   "Good health and common sense will serve you well all of
your days."