[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1643

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Feb 7 14:19:05 UTC 2018

February 7, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              As I wrote in last week's Positive Note, I was very proud to
have fifteen individuals from the NFB of SC attend the 2018 Washington
Seminar.  I was especially impressed with the four students from our
Successful Transitions program who accompanied our delegation and who
participated fully in all of the activities in Washington D.C.  The students
were Taivon Hardy, from Orangeburg, Wallace Stuckey, from Columbia, Matthew
Duffle Hoffman, from Lancaster, and Chase Hanna, from Spartanburg.  It was
very evident these four young men did their homework as they were very
knowledgeable of this year's legislative agenda and actively participated in
our discussions with our Congressional delegation.    I hope that this
experience will foster on-going participation with the NFB of SC.

              We have an announcement from Debra Canty, Chairperson of the
NFB of SC fund raising committee, regarding this year's Sweetheart Dance
which will be held on Saturday evening, February 17.  "Mega thanks to all of
you who have made your $25 or $45 donation towards the Sweethearts Dance
tickets. Instead of actual tickets, there will be a list at the door for
admittance. Also, thanks to those who have donated the give-a-ways for the
dance. Please continue to secure your tickets and the give-a-ways as well."

              We also have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, President of
the NFB of SC Seniors division.  "Since the inclement weather prevented some
chapters and individuals from attending the Statewide Seminar, the Seniors
division drawing for the power air-fryer XL, and a $50 Visa gift card will
be held some time during the Sweetheart Dance.  If you have money or ticket
stubs, please mail them to me at Shelley Coppel, 847 Jefferson st., West
Columbia, SC 29169 prior to February 17.  Thank you and good luck!"

              On Saturday, March 17,2018 the NFB of SC will host a
Leadership Seminar at the Federation Center of the Blind from 10:00 a.m. to
4:00 p.m.  Lunch will be provided.  All members are encouraged to attend and
there will be no charge for the seminar.  Come and learn about the history
of the NFB and NFB of SC, your rights and responsibilities as a consumer of
the South Carolina Commission for the Blind, Social Security benefits, and
any general chapter issues you would like to discuss.  Since the inclement
weather prevented some chapters from attending the Statewide Seminar, the
Orlando bus ticket drawing will be held on March 17 at the Leadership
Seminar.  As of this date we have only sold approximately 2,000 tickets, so
let's do all that we can to sell more tickets!

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              We are delighted to spotlight Jennifer Bazer who has worked
hard to be of service to her fellow blind and others.  She has a very bright
future as she already is providing outstanding service to Rocky Bottom, the
NFB of SC and NFB both locally and nationally.    Jennifer Bazer was born
and raised in West Columbia, SC. She attended Lexington District Two public
schools. She graduated from Winthrop University Cumm laude in Psychology and
Spanish and then went on to receive her Masters in Social Work from the
University of South Carolina.  She began her career at the South Carolina
Commission for the Blind as the counselor at the Ellen Beach Mac
Rehabilitation Center where she conducted individual and group counseling
for newly blinded adults. Jennifer held other positions at SCCB including
training individuals to be blood donation recruiters for the American Red
Cross all over the U.S.  In 2004, she moved to St. Petersburg, Florida to
pursue employment at Freedom Scientific as a multiuser sales representative.
During that job opportunity, she attended NFB national conventions
representing Freedom Scientific in the exhibit hall as well as attending the
general sessions as an NFB member; however, her NFB affiliation began in the
Student Division over 25 years ago.  Jennifer returned to Columbia in 2007
to become an Employment Consultant for SCCB developing and finding jobs for
people who are blind. She married Jeff Bazer in November of 2008. They have
two children; Cade 8 and Kaylin 4 and a half. "Being a single parent is the
hardest thing I do on a daily basis, but I serve a Mighty God who provides
for me and the children every day," says Jennifer. Although Jeff and
Jennifer divorced in September of 2017, both Jennifer and Jeff are active in
the NFB and co-parenting their two young children.  In 2014, Jennifer was
the voice of all blind South Carolinians speaking out and helping pass the
Blind Persons' Right to Parent Act. She serves on the board of the Columbia
chapter as well as the Rocky Bottom Board. She loves directing Children's
Camp at Rocky Bottom one week out of the summer. Later in February, she will
attend the Leadership Seminar at the national headquarters in Baltimore. She
currently is the Director of the NFB of SC Successful Transitions raising
expectations of youth who are blind by providing self-advocacy, career
readiness, work-based learning experiences and college exploration. Jennifer
attends Mt. Hebron United Methodist Church in West Columbia where she is
involved in mission work. Mt. Hebron has also supported numerous trips to
Rocky Bottom performing general maintenance, painting, pool restoration and
much more. Jennifer believes in JOY: Jesus, Others and Yourself, and is
passionate about helping people who are blind. She actively participates in
the NFB locally, statewide and nationally. "I am living the life I want as a
child of God, a mom, a sister, an aunt, a daughter and a member of the NFB
family!"

Final Thought:  "The reason you can't hear a dog whistle is because dogs
can't whistle!"