[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1644

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Feb 14 17:26:08 UTC 2018

February 14, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Happy Valentine's Day!  Speaking of Valentine's Day, I hope to
see many of you at the third annual Sweetheart Dance which will be held at
the Federation Center of the Blind on Saturday, February 17, from 5:00 to
9:00 p.m.  The evening promises to be a fun and enjoyable experience with a
professionally catered dinner, door prizes, music and dancing.  Tickets to
this event will only be $25 for an individual and $45 per couple.  Please
make checks payable to the NFB of SC and please note the memo line for
Sweethearts Dance.  You can purchase your tickets for the dance at the door
Saturday evening, however, if you are planning to do this, we ask that you
contact David Houck at (803) 254-3777 prior to the event to confirm your
reservation.  Please contact Jennifer Bazer at 803-661-6622 or
jhipp25 at sc.rr.com if you would like to contribute a door prize.   If you
have any questions regarding this fundraising event, please contact Debra
Canty, NFB of SC fundraising Chairperson, at 803-775-5792 or via email at
debra.canty at frontier.com. Remember, this is a fund raiser for the NFB of SC
so let's have a great turnout this Saturday evening.

              We have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, President of the
NFB of SC Seniors division.  "Since the inclement weather prevented some
chapters and individuals from attending the Statewide Seminar on January 6,
the Seniors division drawing for the power air-fryer XL, and a $50 Visa gift
card will be held some time during the Sweetheart Dance.  If you have money
or ticket stubs, please bring them with you to the dance Saturday evening.
Thank you and good luck!"

              We have an important announcement from Steve Cook, President
of the Computer Science and Technology division.  "The Computer Science &
Technology Division needs your assistance!  Our website www.nfbofsc.org is
for everyone to use.  We can use this for recruiting new members, posting
upcoming events pertaining to your chapter or division, election results,
updated contact information, newsletters, material designed especially for
your chapter, applications, etc.  Please contact Steve Cook at (803)
254-0222 or cookcafe at sc.rr.com to have information posted on our website.
Let's all work together to keep each other well informed!  (Please note: if
you would like to send any photos to go along with your information, please
identify each and describe the photo with any relevant names, places, or
events.)  Thank you for your participation."

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               Today is Valentine's Day, the one day of the year when we
demonstrate our appreciation to those we love.  In elementary schools across
the country children are exchanging Valentines cards with each other along
with those candy hearts that have sayings like, "Be mine" on them.  Young
people and adults show their love for each other by giving flowers, candy or
by going out to dinner.  Throughout the Federation similar things are going
on today as well.  However, we as federationists demonstrate our love for
each other in many ways.  Locally in chapters statewide the blind in our
communities reach out in service to our fellow blind by planning activities,
programs and opportunities for learning and leadership for their fellow
blind, offering independence, productivity and fellowship.  This Saturday
the Federation Center of the Blind is hosting a Sweetheart Dance for the NFB
of SC as a fundraiser, providing a romantic evening for federationists to
have a fine dinner, dancing, door prizes and fellowship.  The Federation
Center also offers adaptive computer training for the blind and Successful
Transitions provides for blind high school students preparing to go to
college or to enter the work force.  Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference
Center of the Blind  shows its love for the blind statewide with annual
fishing expeditions, camps for the senior blind, camps for blind children,
the Labor Day Fun Day weekend fundraiser, Christmas board retreats and many
opportunities to visit and enjoy the pristine mountainous atmosphere.  The
NFB of SC shares its love for blind South Carolinians by passing 44 pieces
of legislation through the General Assembly affecting all the state's blind
whether or not they are federationists.  This is also true with the annual
Washington Seminar concerning federal legislation affecting the blind
nationally.  Our NFB of SC Statewide Seminars, Leadership Seminars and state
conventions, not to mention statewide divisions, scholarships and awards are
designed to recognize the accomplishments and challenges faced by the blind
continuously.  Nationally, the NFB offers much support, programs and
conventions, etc. which give back to the nation's blind, enriching all of
our lives.  As you can see, Valentine's Day is demonstrated not just today
as we show our love for each other but it is demonstrated every day by our
federation growth, philosophy and outreach to all the blind.

Final Thought:   The 2017 hurricane season devastated areas from Texas to
Florida and from Puerto Rico to the US Virgin Islands.  A common theme from
those who lost everything was, "Tough times don't last but tough people do."