[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1639

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jan 10 18:38:24 UTC 2018

January 10, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I want to thank all of you who attended the 48th annual
Statewide Seminar this past Saturday.  Despite sickness, frigid
temperatures, and inclement weather in the lower half of the state,
approximately ninety Federationists attended this year's seminar.  We were
pleased to have representatives from the three agencies who provide services
to the blind, Kyle Walker, from the SC Commission for the Blind, Paige
McCraw, from the SC School for the Deaf and Blind, and Sandy Knowles, from
Talking Book Services who gave presentations at the Seminar.  Loretta Green
spoke to the audience regarding the upcoming bus trip to our National Center
the weekend of April 6-8.  The cost to ride the charter bus will be $100 per
person.  To participate, you need to submit an application along with a $25
deposit to either Loretta Green or Isaiah nelson.  The remainder of the
money is due no later than February 25, 2018.  If you have any questions,
regarding this trip you can contact Loretta Green at (843) 276-9649 or
Isaiah Nelson at (803) 413-2434.  I spoke to the audience regarding the
upcoming Leadership Seminar which will be held on March 17, for chapter and
division leaders.  The seminar will run from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and
lunch will be provided.  Topics will include federation philosophy and
history, Commission for the Blind services, Social Security and chapter
operations.  Thom Spittle did an excellent job as auctioneer as we raised
$571 for the Federation Center.  I along with Ed Bible, Jennifer Bazer and
Shelley Coppel gave the RBRCCB report. Ed Bible reported on the volunteer
involvement of church and civic groups to improve the facilities and
grounds.  The two Senior Camps will be held May20-24, and September 16-20.
Children's Camp will be held June 10-16.  I reported to the audience the
RBRCCB Board of Directors voted to increase the processing fees for Oglesby
Cottage, Osterneck Cottage, Ellenburg Lodge, and the Conference Center.  The
increases went in to effect January 2, 2018.  Debra Canty, NFB of SC fund
raising committee chairperson, informed the group about the third annual
Sweetheart Dance on Saturday, February 17 which will take place between 5:00
to 9:00 p.m.at the Federation Center of the Blind.  Tickets are $25 per
person or $45 per couple.  Money for tickets is due by February 6.

              At the State Board meeting, which was held during the two hour
lunch break, the Board elected Frank Coppel as delegate, and Dorothy
Barksdale as alternate delegate to the 2018 NFB national convention which
will be held July 3-8 at the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort in Orlando, Florida.
The board was informed the 2018 NFB of SC state convention will be held at
the Columbia Marriott Hotel the weekend of August 10-12.  A planning
committee for the state convention will be established and it will be
Chaired by Tiffiny Mitchell.  Details regarding the Washington seminar were
discussed.  The NFB of SC's delegation to the Washington seminar will
consist of state officers and board members as well as four high school
seniors and two chaperones from our Successful Transitions Program.  Because
some of our chapters could not attend the seminar due to the frigid
temperatures and inclement weather, the bus drawing was postponed until the
Leadership Seminar on March 17.

              I want to take this opportunity thank Isaiah Nelson and his
group of volunteers for preparing and serving a delicious lunch.  I also
want to especially thank David Houck for all of his hard work prior to the
Seminar and all day Saturday to ensure the meeting was a success.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              My heart and thoughts were with those of you attending the
Statewide Seminar last Saturday as the weather was so cold with other
conditions including snow, etc.  It was indicative of the commitment to
federation activity and I salute you.  In reading President Coppel's portion
of the Positive Note it is clear that the Statewide Seminar was very
successful.  I'm pleased that the state convention this August will be held
at the Marriott Hotel in Columbia as this makes the convention site more
accessible from across the state.  Also, we are familiar with the Marriott
Hotel having been there on several occasions.

              I have good news on Betty's illness.  She was discharged from
the hospital on Nre Year's eve and four or five days later she had a follow
up with her physician who found her recovery to be very good.  There are no
apparent problems from the mini stroke and I'm especially pleased about
this.

              I'm dictating this part of the Positive Note Wednesday
morning, January 10.  We plan to attend the Columbia Chapter meeting
tomorrow, Thursday, January 11.  Betty appears sufficiently able to attend
this type of meeting which is relatively short.

              I thought I would use this part of the Positive Note to catch
up on New Year's issues ongoing over many years.  In the early days of
Colonial Life, my employer for some38 years, the Claims Department where I
was employed was responsible for conducting an end-of-year claims reserve.
In other words the Insurance Department in those days made the company
maintain a reserve with the Insurance Department to be sure the company had
adequate funds for taking care of claims which were still pending at that
time.  The amount of the reserve had an effect on the financial status of
the company.  If the Insurance Department noted an inadequate reserve, it
would take action against the company.  Colonial was always in good shape
financially.  One other gentleman and myself set aside the New Year's Day
weekend to review and make a decision regarding the reserve.  My co-employee
did the reading and I had the responsibility of examining the claims file
and making an assessment on the amount that should be reserved.  It was
boring but absolutely necessary.  At that time we were not too happy about
having to work during the New Year's weekend while other employees had the
weekend off.  For many years now, Colonial has relied on computers to have
the reserve estimated.  In those days I dreaded seeing the New Year come in.
End of year duties are still with us but doing the claims reserve I
despised.

Final Thought:  Now that we have learned much at the Statewide Seminar,
let's spread the word back home and get busy.