[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1665

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jul 11 12:53:02 UTC 2018

July 11, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Shelley and I had a wonderful time attending the 2018 NFB
national convention.  This was my thirty-sixth convention and this year's
convention ranked high on my list as one of the best conventions I have had
the pleasure of attending.  Approximately 2,500 federationists and visitors
were in attendance during this year's festivities in Orlando Florida.
South Carolina was proud to have seventy-nine delegates registered placing
us in ninth place in the overall attendance which I feel was a pretty good
turnout considering the fact we did not charter a bus.  Included in our
delegation to help put us in 9th place, were 16 students and 11 staff from
our Successful Transitions program.  They were in attendance during a
significant part of the general sessions, and enthusiastically participated
in activities such as Rooky Roundup, Youth Track activities, and National
Association of Blind Student meetings. The convention had many outstanding
presentations which dealt primarily with the need to have accessible
technology as well as presentations from a member of congress, a former U.S.
Secretary of Homeland Security, and inspiring stories of blind individuals
who succeeded in transforming their dreams into reality.  During the general
sessions there was a great deal of enthusiasm and energy which was felt
throughout the ballroom.  Of course, President Riccobono's Presidential
Report and Banquet address were outstanding.  President Riccobono's banquet
speech Sunday evening emphasized the importance of diversity to our movement
and he enlightened the audience regarding the major role blind women have
played in shaping the history of our organization.    The highlight of the
convention as always is the Banquet.  The NFB handed out thirty scholarships
and these young men and women were extremely impressive.  Many thanks goes
to Tiffiny Mitchell and all of the volunteers who helped to man the South
Carolina table in the Exhibit Hall during the convention.  I am pleased to
announce our efforts in the Exhibit Hall raised over eight hundred dollars
for the NFB of SC.  The NFB national convention at times reminds me of a
large family reunion and for Shelley and I it was wonderful to reconnect and
visit with friends we have not seen for a long period of time.  Although I
was extremely proud of the approximately eighty South Carolinians who
registered for this year's convention, it continues to be very disappointing
to me to see the extremely poor attendance from our delegation at most of
the general sessions.  One of the primary purposes of the national
convention is to become more familiar with issues facing the blind on a
national level and this is very difficult to do if you are not present at
the general sessions.

              There are only a few days remaining to make your hotel
reservations for the 2018 NFB of SC State Convention which will be held at
the Marriott Hotel in Columbia August 10-12.  Rates for this year's
convention are $109 per night for up to four in a room.  In addition to the
room rates there will be a tax, which at present is 14 percent.  The
deadline to make reservations is July 15, 2018.  If you wait until after
July 15, to make your hotel reservation, the hotel may not have an available
room for you and you may be required to pay the standard room rate.  You can
make your room reservations by calling the Columbia Marriott reservation
toll free telephone number (800) 593-6465 or (803) 771-7000 and inform the
reservationist you are reserving a room for the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina state convention.

              One of the convention agenda items we are considering at this
time, is an" NFB Has Talent Showcase) which will occur during the Saturday
afternoon session of the state convention.  All talent is welcomed!  This
should be a lot of fun as we will have judges and prizes for the most
talented acts.  If you wish to participate, you can contact Shelley Coppel
at (803) 796-8662 or you can email her at frankandshelley51 at gmail.com no
later than August 1.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This week's Positive Note spotlights a local Columbia
Federation member who has served the movement for many years. I am speaking
of Jean Sutton, the wife of Mike Sutton of Columbia.  Jean was born in
Spartanburg and raised in Inman.  She attended the SC School for the Deaf
and the Blind through eleventh grade and then transferred to Chapman High
School in Inman where she graduated.  Following high school she attended the
University of South Carolina where she earned a Bachelor's degree in
Psychology.  After graduating from USC Jean graduated from Midlands
Technical College, focusing in the area of Medical Transcription.  It is to
be noted that after completing Midlands Tech Jean Sutton went to work at the
Veterans Hospital applying her medical transcription credentials.  This past
Friday, July 6, she retired from the VA Hospital after a 36 year work
history.  One year Jean Sutton was recognized as the Disabled Employee of
the Year by the VA Hospital.  Mike and Jean have been married for 37 years
with their anniversary being on August 1.  It seems that Jean as well as
Mike have two anniversary dates to celebrate!  Jean tells me that now she is
retired, she plans to become more active in the Columbia Chapter.  Mike and
Jean have attended a dozen national conventions and many more state
conventions.  Jean has canvassed the annual barbecues and has worked on the
contact committee and she sang along with Doug Hudson at the June Columbia
Chapter meeting.  After meeting Mike Sutton she learned of the federation as
Mike was a member of the Lancaster Chapter.  Mike and Jean are members of
the Calvary Chapel in Cayce and Jean says she has taught Sunday School and
sang in the choir.  Jean has a beautiful singing voice.  Jean's hobbies
include reading and keeping up with current events, not to mention spending
more time with her husband, Mike.  Mike has been involved in many leadership
positions over the years and Jean has been quite supportive of Mike's
endeavors as well.  We salute Jean Sutton who has applied herself
academically, vocationally and in many ways with the federation.  She has
learned well how to lead the life she wants.

Final Thought:   When you attend NFB conventions you always bring home more
than you brought with you like enthusiasm, information, and many new
federation friends.