[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1663

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jun 27 12:45:05 UTC 2018

June 27, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              In the next few days, many of us will be traveling to Orlando
Florida to attend the 2018 NFB National Convention.  I am very pleased to
announce the NFB of SC will again have a table in the Exhibit Hall at this
year's convention.  Tiffiny Mitchell, co-chairperson of the NFB of SC Fund
Raising committee, has done a great job securing items such as pork skins
(ranch and original), preserves to sell and we will also be conducting a
50/50 raffle as well.  She has also done a great job recruiting volunteers
to man the table.  Please check out the South Carolina table (D16) and help
support the state organization!

              It is gratifying to know that many of you across the state are
making the necessary sacrifices to attend the National Convention, and we
urge all of you to participate fully, attending all sessions which are
important in our Federation growth and service.

              If you did not pre-register, please be sure to register for
the convention on Wednesday morning, July 4, which is necessary to receive
the special hotel rates.  For those of you who are unable to attend this
year's national convention, the NFB will be streaming part of it, including
the board of directors meeting, general sessions, and the banquet. More
information can be found at nfb.org/convention/2018/stream, including how to
access the Spanish streaming. This year, the NFB is partnering with 195 The
Globe, an internet radio station run by blind Federationists, for our
English stream.  Let's have a great 2018 National Convention and I look
forward to seeing many of you in Orlando!

              Please continue to make your hotel reservations for the
upcoming 2018 NFB of SC state convention which will be held August 10-12 at
the Marriott Hotel in Columbia.  Although room reservations are increasing
significantly during the past few weeks, rooms are still available for
Thursday, August 9, Friday, August 10, and Saturday, August 11.  Room rates
are very affordable.  Rates for this year's convention are $109 per night
for up to four in a room.  In addition to the room rates there will be a
tax, which at present is 14 percent.  I would suggest if you have not made
your room reservation as yet you may want to do so by calling the Marriott
Hotel's toll free Reservations number at (800) 593-6465 or you can call
(803) 771-7000 and inform the reservationist you are reserving a room for
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina state convention.
Remember, you need to make your room reservation at the Marriott no later
than July 15.  If you wait until after July 15, it may be extremely
difficult to reserve a room.

              Shelley and I would like to take this opportunity to wish Don
and Betty Capps a very happy and blessed sixty-ninth wedding anniversary
which was celebrated this past Monday, June 25.  Thank you to both of you
for your outstanding service to the blind of this state and nation and to
your many years of dedication making it possible for the blind to live the
life they want!

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This week we are spotlighting a very special longtime
federationist from Laurens.  I am referring to our Laurens Chapter Associate
Member Doris Bell who stood alongside her husband Bob in all he accomplished
throughout his life in the federation.  Doris Bell was born in Greer and at
ten years of age her family moved to Laurens where she graduated from High
School.  Then she attended the Nashville School of Business in Middlesburg,
TN and later attended Greenville Technical College where she studied in
their School of Interior Design.    Interior design was her passion as Doris
performed interior design at the Country Shop in Laurens but she also did
interior design on her own and gained a good reputation for her work.  She
was also the Director of the Family Court Cottage in Laurens where she
applied her interior design skills.  Doris Bell first met Bob Bell on July
5, 1947, as she puts it, "I met a blind man on a blind date."  They were
married for 65 and one-half years until Bob passed away.  While Bob Bell was
very active in the federation locally, statewide and nationally, Doris was
with him in all that Bob did, being ready to go with only a moment's notice.
They had two sons, Robby and Mark and Doris requests that you keep them in
your prayers as each have health issues to deal with.  Doris also has six
grandchildren and three great-grandchildren which occupy much of her time
presently.  In 1974 Bob Bell retired from Laurens Glass due to his eyesight
and while at the Commission in Columbia earlier he found out about the NFB
of SC.  They became involved in the Greenville Chapter in 1970 and Doris
says that after the 1974 Chicago National Convention she became an
enthusiastic federationist.  "The federation is not just local but
statewide, national and worldwide in its outreach."  Doris estimates that
her and Bob organized or reorganized at least 15 local chapters over the
years.  The Laurens Chapter was organized on November 14, 1973.  Doris
served as the van driver, chapter secretary and interior decorator in the
chapter and she raised 90% of the needed funding to establish the Bell
center in Laurens in 1981 with her letter writing campaign.  Van driving was
not limited to chapter meetings but was extended to state functions, state
and national conventions, Washington Seminars, etc.  Bob and Doris Bell
worked extensively with Rocky Bottom since its beginning.  Doris used her
decorating skills extensively in all the facilities.  It seemed at times
Doris and Bob were as much in Columbia as in Laurens.  Doris observed Mary
Calhoun was always left out of activities as she was a senior citizen.  This
prompted Bob Bell to begin the Senior Camp program which Frank Coppel now
does such a fine job on as well.  Seniors need activities designed for them
just as we do for blind children Doris observed.  Aside from interior design
Doris likes flower arranging and working with children.  They refer to Doris
as "Ma Bell."  Doris has been active in Rocky Springs Presbyterian Church as
she taught Bible School, was District Chairman, sang in the choir and sang
duets in other churches.  Three or four weeks ago Doris suffered a heart
attack and is now in hospice at home.  She would like to hear from you with
cards or letters sent to 2759 Bellview Church Rd., Laurens, SC 29360 or you
can call her at 864-682-3447 but if you call, let it ring for a while so she
can answer it or call back later.  Doris Bell has given her life in the
service of the blind, children, seniors and anyone she can help so they can
"live the life they want."  Betty and I celebrated our 69th wedding
anniversary on Monday, June 25.

              Final Thought:   "Becoming an exceptional federationist comes
when you realize it's not what I can get out of the federation but what I
can put into it to help others." - Doris Bell