[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1647

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 7 13:29:15 UTC 2018

March 7, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Please continue to contact David Houck at the Federation
Center of the Blind either by phone or by mail, if you are planning to
attend the Leadership Seminar which will be held on Saturday, March 17, from
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  We need to have this information by Wednesday,
March 14, in order for us to have an accurate head count for lunch which is
free of charge.  We are expecting a good crowd to be present for the seminar
as we already have approximately thirty people to sign up thus far.

              It is time for you to preregister online for the 2018 NFB
National Convention in Orlando Florida.  If you preregister prior to May 31,
registration for convention will cost $25 and a banquet ticket will cost
$65.  After May 31, the cost for convention registration will increase to
$30 and the cost of a banquet ticket will increase to $70.  Save $10 and
also skip the need to stand in line for a long period of time at the
convention by purchasing your convention registration and banquet ticket by
the May 31 deadline.  Please Note: All convention preregistration and
banquet sales are final.

              We have an announcement from Shannon Cook, Chairperson of the
NFB of SC Scholarship Committee.  "Scholarship Season has begun in the NFB
of SC!  Since the state convention is August 10-12, the deadline for all
scholarship applications is June 15th. The committee will select the top
three applicants, and they will be notified prior to the convention. The
Scholarship Committee will meet via teleconference on July 15th, and winners
will be notified soon thereafter.  The updated scholarship application is
now available at www.nfbofsc.org.  Please also remember that the scholarship
program operates on donations exclusively.  If you or your chapter would
like to contribute a scholarship or make a donation to the Metro Fund,
please get in touch with both me, Shannon Cook, and Valerie Warrington, NFB
of SC Treasurer.  Also, please help us get the word out about the program.
If you or someone you know is in school full time, please let them know
about the program.  Thank you."

              Shelley and I are looking forward to being with those of you
who are planning to travel to Baltimore, Maryland the week end of April 6-8
to visit and tour the Jernigan Institute (our NFB National Center).  Isaiah
Nelson tells me there are only five seats remaining on the charter bus and
if you would like to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity, you need
to contact Mr. Nelson at (803) 413-2434 immediately.  .  Also, those of us
who have not paid in full their $100 charge to ride the bus need to do so,
by mailing your payment to Isaiah Nelson, Po box 12063, Columbia, S.C.
29211, no later than March 15.

              Finally, I would like to report as to the amount of funds
raised at the third annual Sweet Heart dance.  Total revenues were $1,140,
expenses $500 for catering, leaving a net profit of $640.  Kudos to Debra
Canty and her committee for their hard work planning this fund raising
project.  I also would like to especially recognize all of you who came to
the dance and for your financial support for the NFB of SC.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               This week's Positive Note is spotlighting an active member of
the Columbia Chapter.  I am delighted to spotlight Katie Jackson.  She was
born and raised in Newberry County.  She attended the public schools there
as well.  She has four children, fourteen grandchildren, nineteen
great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren.  For a time she
worked at Camron, a railroad equipment company, as an engineering clerk.
When she got laid off, she went to the Commission for the Blind for
vocational services.  It was at that time she was introduced to the NFB of
SC by attending a Columbia Chapter meeting in 1991. While Katie took an
internship at the Federation Center of the Blind, she became active in the
Columbia Chapter in the early 1990's, especially in working on the Barbecue
Committee, canvassing and selling tickets.   Katie furthered her education
at Midlands Tech where she earned an Associate degree in Human Services.
She eventually took a position with the US Forestry Service in their Human
Resources Department where she was employed for fifteen years until she
retired.  She has been the Treasurer of the Columbia Chapter for the past
two years.  Katie has attended two Florida NFB national conventions and many
state conventions going back to the 1990's.  She is a member of the Right
Direction International Church where she served on the Hospitality Committee
and now serves as a "Seasoned Citizen."   She likes to watch inspirational
TV programs and although she cannot read like she used to, a CCTV donated to
her by the Federation Center has helped a lot in her Treasurer's duties in
the Columbia Chapter.  We salute another federationist who does not let age
hinder her federation duties and opportunities.

Final Thought:   "Be yourself - Everyone else is already taken."