[Nfbofsc] FW: Positive Note 1648

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 14 12:57:16 UTC 2018

March 15, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Happy ST. Patrick's Day! I am pleased to announce we have
approximately eighty people who are planning to attend the NFB of SC's
Leadership seminar this Saturday at the Federation Center of the Blind.  We
have not held a Leadership Seminar SINCE 2014 and with the overwhelming
response WE HAVE RECEIVED FROM OUR members, it is evident THESE TYPE OF
SEMINARS NEED TO BE HELD MORE OFTEN.  Remember, the Orlando bus ticket
drawing will be held at the conclusion of the Leadership Seminar.  If you
have not turned in your ticket money or stubs please do so by this Saturday,
March 17.

              We have an announcement from Krystal Reece, President of the
Anderson chapter.  "The Upstate Seminar will be held on April 14, 2018 at
10am-2pm at the American Legion, 1301 E. Greenville St., Anderson, SC 29621.
Cost to attend is $10 per person.  We hope that all Upstate chapters will
get involved and attend. Please bring any items you would like to auction
off at the seminar. Lunch will be provided at 12 noon. We hope to see you
there."

              We have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, President of the
NFB of SC Seniors Division.  "First Senior Division Conference Call, Spring
2018:  When: Thursday, March 22, 2018.  Time: 4:00 Eastern, 3:00 Central,
2:00 Mountain, 1:00 Pacific.  Phone number 1-515 603-3166 Code: 759633Pound.
Facilitators are Arthur Schriber and Diane McGeorge-
Downsizing-Transitioning to a new home: When to move? Where to move? What to
take?"

              I am sad to report Wanda Sheck, a long time Federation member
of the Columbia Chapter passed away early Friday morning, March 9.  Wanda
will be greatly missed as she actively participated in chapter activities.
To mention a few: she drove for many chapter meetings, assisted with our
Barbecue fund- raiser, drove numerous times to Rocky Bottom as she truly
loved our camp, she was a dear friend and mentor to countless numbers of
friends of our Federation family, and these are only  a few examples of
Wanda's love for blind people. All of us need to keep Steve and Brandon in
our thoughts and prayers.  A Memorial service for Wanda Sheck will be held
at the Church of the Harvest, Tuesday, March 20, at 1:00 p.m.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               This section of the weekly Positive Note is dedicated to the
loving memory of Wanda Sheck (63) who passed away on Friday morning, March
9.  Wanda had extensive health problems.  However she had looked forward to
having her leg prosthesis fitting which was scheduled to be done on March 9
but she passed away in her sleep earlier that morning.  She is survived by
her husband Steve Sheck and her son Brandon Roof.  The Memorial Service is
scheduled to occur on Tuesday, March 20 at 1:00 p.m. at the Church of the
Harvest located at 4865 Sunset Blvd., Lexington, SC 29072.  Rev. Ken Jumper,
Pastor of the Church of the Harvest and a friend to the blind is
officiating.  I first met Wanda when she was a toddler.  Someone contacted
me and reported that a blind mother and her baby were in considerable need
and requested that I look into it.  Wanda's mother was the late Irene Hudson
Doyle.  I made the visit to their West Columbia home on New Year's Day 1958
and found the report made to me to be accurate.  I made arrangements for the
needed items to be delivered to their residence.  From that day forward
Irene and her precious daughter Wanda became lifelong members of the
federation.  As the years went by Wanda enjoyed her federation
participation, especially in the Rocky Bottom program.  Wanda was among the
first group of federationists to travel to Rocky Bottom in 1962.
Incidentally, Wanda's death brought the remaining 1962 survivors down to
five which includes three Capps (Betty, Craig and myself), Barry Chavis and
Donna Hancock.  Like most children Wanda liked to play but she had the
misfortune of stepping on a splinter during her 1962 visit which penetrated
the foot and had to be removed immediately.  The removal hurt and Wanda
resisted but as soon as the splinter had been removed, she returned to
playing with the other children.  Wanda was always faithful in her service
to the federation and Rocky Bottom.  Several years ago I needed to travel to
Rocky Bottom but Betty was not able to drive at that time.  I called upon
Wanda and she was very pleased that I would request her to do this service.
When her husband Steve was Columbia Chapter President, she was the First
Lady and was always at his side.  In more recent years she assisted Steve in
his vending facility business.  All of us who knew Wanda will miss her.  We
are keeping Steve and Brandon in our thoughts and prayers at this time.

Final Thought:   "A good test of one's character is this:  Are you more
concerned about how others affect you or are you more concerned about how
you affect others?"