[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1655

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed May 2 12:45:25 UTC 2018

May 2, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I want to take this opportunity to thank those of you who
participated in the Midlands Gives fund raising event which was held in
Columbia yesterday.  I want to especially thank Valerie and Larry Warrington
for all of their hard work during the past few months with this project
which made it possible for the NFB of SC and Rocky Bottom to again
participate in this program.  I also want to thank Jennifer Bazer and our
staff from the NFB of SC's Successful Transitions program for their
assistance yesterday as they were stationed at businesses located in
Columbia, Irmo, and Lexington to raise funds through Midland Gives to assist
Rocky Bottom.  I would also like to recognize the Greenville and Rock Hill
Chapters for their generous contributions of $250 and $100 respectively made
to the Midland's Gives program to assist Rocky Bottom.

              Congratulations to Thom Spittle for his work in securing a
date to have a NFB of SC Night at the Columbia Fireflies minor league
baseball game on Saturday, May 12, beginning at 6:00 p.m.  Thom Spittle will
be throwing out the first pitch of the game.  This will be a wonderful
opportunity for us to educate the public about blindness and the NFB of SC,
as we will be handing out NFB literature and displaying an audio and video
PSA announcement for our organization on the score board.  We currently have
a block of tickets with seats located behind the first base dugout.  Tickets
are only $5.  If you would like tickets, and be part of this special and fun
evening, call David Houck at (803) 254-3777.

              We have an announcement from Shannon Cook, Chairperson of the
NFB of SC Scholarship Committee.  "Scholarship Season has begun in the NFB
of SC!  Since the state convention is August 10-12, the deadline for all
scholarship applications is June 15th. The committee will select the top
three applicants, and they will be notified prior to the convention. The
Scholarship Committee will meet via teleconference on July 15th, and winners
will be notified soon thereafter.  The updated scholarship application is
now available at www.nfbofsc.org.  Please also remember that the scholarship
program operates on donations exclusively.  If you or your chapter would
like to contribute a scholarship or make a donation to the Metro Fund,
please get in touch with both me, Shannon Cook, and Valerie Warrington, NFB
of SC Treasurer.  Also, please help us get the word out about the program.
If you or someone you know is in school full time, please let them know
about the program.  Thank you.  For those who get their completed
applications in by May 15th, their name will be entered in a drawing for a
$25 gift card.  A scholarship committee member cannot write a letter of
recommendation for an applicant.  This is to eliminate the perception of
unfairness or a bias toward that individual."

              We also have an announcement from Tiffiny Mitchell,
chairperson of the NFB of SC state picnic planning committee, regarding the
Saturday, June 2, state picnic to be held at Saluda Shoals park in Columbia
from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  "There will be a teleconference held on Sunday
evening, May 6, at 7:00 to further discuss plans regarding the state wide
picnic.  The number for the teleconference is (862)902-0241.  The access
code is #3588716.  Please join the teleconference Monday evening and let's
continue to plan a great picnic!"

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This week's spotlight falls upon an active and longtime
serving local chapter President.  In fact he has been its President since
the chapter's inception in the year 2000.  I am speaking of none other than
Bob Martin who heads up the Hilton Head Island Chapter.  The chapter
averages about 25 members.  Bob Martin was born in Trenton, New Jersey where
he was also married.  He has three children and eight grandchildren.  He
attended Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey where he earned a
degree in Chemical Engineering.  He then went to Loyola University in
Chicago where he received his MBA in Business.  He served in the Army
Reserves for 22 years where he retired as a Colonel.  He worked at the John
M. Roebling Company in the steel industry where he performed wire coating.
This company built the George Washington and Brooklyn Bridge in New York
City and the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.  Later he worked at Hobart
Brothers which did welding equipment where he was a Director.  Bob Martin
also worked as the General Manager of Airco where he worked in the plastics
industry for fifteen years.  After this he retired to Hilton Head.  As
Hilton Head Chapter President Bob Martin likes to secure adaptive equipment
for those with low vision such as Zoomtext software, assistive reading
devices and talking book machines.  When adaptive equipment is turned in
when it can no longer be used, he will donate the equipment to the Beaufort
County Schools to be used by blind and low vision children.  Bob is also a
representative for the Optelec Company.  Bob Martin likes to play bridge as
a hobby.  He serves on several Cypress community committees including one
for those with low vision.  Bob Martin enjoys helping people and deserves a
hearty salute for his efforts on behalf of the blind and others in Hilton
Head.

              It happened during the 65th annual barbecue - a phone call
came into the Federation Center about mid-morning from NFB of SC President
Frank Coppel, causing all barbecue production to grind to a halt for a
minute as it was announced that Frank Coppel's daughter Laura had birthed
twin boys at 7:41 and 7:42 a.m.  Luke came in at 4 pounds and 13 ounces
while Hayden came in at 5 pounds and 2 ounces.  It was reported that the
twins were in good health and their parents and grandparents were also doing
fine.  Everyone clapped and shouted for joy about the birth of the twins as
barbecue production got underway once again.

Final Thought:   "Any job very well done that has been carried out by a
person who is fully dedicated is always a source of inspiration." - Carlos
Ghosn